Matts Off Road Recovery. v.earth swallowed a jeep

Oman4x4

OT Supporter
Sep 22, 2004
Dubai / Oman / Saudi Arabia
What's circled? is that a black 3 ball hitch?

I couldn't wrap my head around it either for a while until I saw a better picture shared on one of our local group chats. Yep, this one was so bad it's being talked about on the other side of the planet.

Condolences to the guy that passed away - it wasn't his truck that failed but he paid the ultimate price for whoever was helping's negligence.

It's a massive drop hitch with a 90 degree drop so it would have had a ton of leverage and a hollow tube going into the hitch unlike a solid block shackle mount i.e. Factor 55 or steel equivalent. Combine that leverage with a tow strap that doesn't look like any flat strap kinetic rope that I recognise (I know ARB has a flat strap kinetic rope but most stretchy ones nowadays are a round cross section) - so this probably had next to no stretch in it. Combine that with a heavy truck stuck in the mud and this was just guaranteed to happen.

Most likely that strap was over the ball getting maximum leverage when it failed.

A tow ball alone would be lethal enough, but to be coming at you with this much steel along with it, the guy had no chance.

Use proper gear.

Use damper blankets.

Use Redundant Tether straps to arrest the flying part.

Use Closed loop stuff where possible. Helps the damper blankets or arrestor straps do their job. The rope won't hurt so much it's the metal you wanna catch.

Use a Winch instead of Kinetic Ropes where possible.

NO people standing anywhere near the rope or where it could fire. Far away to the sides is the safest place to be. If you're able to film both vehicles from the side view with your phone (without some fisheye lens) then you're in a good place. If you're looking at the front or back of one of the vehicles, you're probably in a bad place as the rope / hook could get ya. Even if you're behind the vehicle, it could punch through or come over the top and down again.

Non-Stretchy tow ropes should ONLY be used for towing a broken down vehicle on flat ground. If it's off road and the tow vehicle and broken vehicle are gonna see obstacles at different times, better to use a kinetic rope for that. NEVER use a non-stretchy rope for a stuck vehicle. If that's all you've got with you, don't be tempted, call a friend to come help.

1659114131498.png

Tragic stuff. Even worse when you see there was a child seat in the back of that Superduty.

At least one very young child is growing up today without a dad anymore because someone didn't wanna spend $83 on a hitch link or probably less than $30-40 for one of the steel equivalent ones. That makes my blood boil.

Off roading isn't a cheap hobby but proper gear is essential.

I'm gonna start carrying a spare Hitch link just in case I'm ever helping someone or being helped by someone that doesn't have a proper tow point. But I'm making sure that it's safely stowed inside the vehicle to not become a projectile in a crash.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: ballzofsteel83

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
I hear ya but my god they have some good equipment.

And I still have a Mattracks obsession that I've yet to satisfy so I can't help but watch. :rofl:
Cant argue with the equipment, dudes got hella cash

I liked the army boat they used to pull that house boat off lake mead

Though if we’re talking dangerous setups, that whole extraction was sketch as balls

Reactions: 93rx7

Oman4x4

OT Supporter
Sep 22, 2004

Is he seriously saying the towball is fine to use? Come on Matt I like what ya did for Ed but do better with stuff like this.

To be fair though I've not seen him use a towball in a long time... seems to be using a Pintle hook now... but using a Pintle Hook isn't a whole lot better. It stops the rope slipping out when it goes slack but it's structurally still an open hook as far as stress loads go. A proper Hitch Link would be the way to do it.

I'm surprised he's not using and selling solar yellow Matts Off Road Recovery co-branded Factor 55 Hitch Links for example. Missed opportunity.

ERock

I'm not a cat
OT Supporter
Jan 9, 2002
SoCal
I saw a tow ball break recently. Thankfully no one got hurt.

Trying to pull this out.
1659117253165.png

Oman4x4

OT Supporter
Sep 22, 2004
Cant argue with the equipment, dudes got hella cash

I liked the army boat they used to pull that house boat off lake mead

Though if we’re talking dangerous setups, that whole extraction was sketch as balls

I wish I understood the cash side of it. If you thought the boat was impressive have you seen he recently bought a freakin' BLACKHAWK HELICOPTER.

Like worst case scenario we'll just lift you out.

God damn I want his life. :rofl:

1659117702387.png

Reactions: couchlock

ERock

I'm not a cat
OT Supporter
Jan 9, 2002
SoCal
Took my friend and his son out to the localish OHV area.

We just sat in my truck bed and watched.
1659117631778.png

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
Is he seriously saying the towball is fine to use? Come on Matt I like what ya did for Ed but do better with stuff like this.

To be fair though I've not seen him use a towball in a long time... seems to be using a Pintle hook now... but using a Pintle Hook isn't a whole lot better. It stops the rope slipping out when it goes slack but it's structurally still an open hook as far as stress loads go. A proper Hitch Link would be the way to do it.

I'm surprised he's not using and selling solar yellow Matts Off Road Recovery co-branded Factor 55 Hitch Links for example. Missed opportunity.

yes. he's a grade A idiot.

borazhasleftthebuilding

half black lives matter, too
OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest
I couldn't wrap my head around it either for a while until I saw a better picture shared on one of our local group chats. Yep, this one was so bad it's being talked about on the other side of the planet.

Condolences to the guy that passed away - it wasn't his truck that failed but he paid the ultimate price for whoever was helping's negligence.

It's a massive drop hitch with a 90 degree drop so it would have had a ton of leverage and a hollow tube going into the hitch unlike a solid block shackle mount i.e. Factor 55 or steel equivalent. Combine that leverage with a tow strap that doesn't look like any flat strap kinetic rope that I recognise (I know ARB has a flat strap kinetic rope but most stretchy ones nowadays are a round cross section) - so this probably had next to no stretch in it. Combine that with a heavy truck stuck in the mud and this was just guaranteed to happen.

Most likely that strap was over the ball getting maximum leverage when it failed.

A tow ball alone would be lethal enough, but to be coming at you with this much steel along with it, the guy had no chance.

Use proper gear.

Use damper blankets.

Use Redundant Tether straps to arrest the flying part.

Use Closed loop stuff where possible. Helps the damper blankets or arrestor straps do their job. The rope won't hurt so much it's the metal you wanna catch.

Use a Winch instead of Kinetic Ropes where possible.

NO people standing anywhere near the rope or where it could fire. Far away to the sides is the safest place to be. If you're able to film both vehicles from the side view with your phone (without some fisheye lens) then you're in a good place. If you're looking at the front or back of one of the vehicles, you're probably in a bad place as the rope / hook could get ya. Even if you're behind the vehicle, it could punch through or come over the top and down again.

Non-Stretchy tow ropes should ONLY be used for towing a broken down vehicle on flat ground. If it's off road and the tow vehicle and broken vehicle are gonna see obstacles at different times, better to use a kinetic rope for that. NEVER use a non-stretchy rope for a stuck vehicle. If that's all you've got with you, don't be tempted, call a friend to come help.

View attachment 244566

Tragic stuff. Even worse when you see there was a child seat in the back of that Superduty.

At least one very young child is growing up today without a dad anymore because someone didn't wanna spend $83 on a hitch link or probably less than $30-40 for one of the steel equivalent ones. That makes my blood boil.

Off roading isn't a cheap hobby but proper gear is essential.

I'm gonna start carrying a spare Hitch link just in case I'm ever helping someone or being helped by someone that doesn't have a proper tow point. But I'm making sure that it's safely stowed inside the vehicle to not become a projectile in a crash.
the wife and 3 kids were on the scene

• Support
Reactions: Oman4x4

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wet0529