ART Memory Card Failure

jigelow

Dec 16, 2010
Luckily it was just test shots around the house. I never had the issue with SD cards, and used anything from Sandisk to complete garbage. This is my CF card, and it's probably my second batch of pics with the D700. Other than buying name brand, is there any way to avoid this?

TS
TS
jigelow

jigelow

Dec 16, 2010
always format the card with your camera.

Yeah, I'd assumed that. Card is fine, but lost all the pics on there. I guess I should just sack up and shell out money on a good Sandisk. Not that it would necessarily make a difference, but it's piece of mind.

Ty Webb

You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia
Dec 17, 2004
Bushwood Country Club
hmmm ive heard of those and kingstons dying often.

Ive used Sandisk exclusively and never once had a failure.

ib. it happens tomorrow.

TS
TS
jigelow

jigelow

Dec 16, 2010
I've read of all of them failing, but never had an issue. Just coincidence it is once I move to CF, I guess.

I guess I'll get a Sandisk and keep this as an emergency backup.

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
Never had one crap out on me, fortunately. :x:

Even on my D70 that I had for about 6 years before I upgraded, had the same 1 and 2 GB lexar CF cards and they still work to this day.

NCTRNL

May 10, 2004
Kansas City
I've had Kingston's fail on me at inopportune (not critical) times. Still got images off them but it makes your stomach turn when you see the blinkin dashes on the screen.

There's really nothing you can do as far as I know.

fuqxyu

Thank you for the alpha
OT Supporter
Feb 2, 2004
fuckin lexar...one died on my gf.

She was shooting at a company event too.

Her boss was pissed!!

Boss told her to use the company's shitty camera from now on. She blamed the failure on my 40d.

GF has to use a shitty xsi with the stock lens now.

vwpilot

Jan 9, 2005
Never had an issue with Lexar cards. Anything can fail, I've heard of just as many failures with Sandisk cards.

I just stay away from the budget stuff like PNY.

To the OP, did you try to recover the images using Lexar's recovery software? I've had really good luck with that when I accidentally formatted a card and heard of others recovering files on cards that "failed" on them.

TS
TS
jigelow

jigelow

Dec 16, 2010
I didn't know Lexar had recovery software. The demo of Card Recovery showed that all the files where there, but it's $40 for the software, and nothing was really important on there. I'll hold off buying the software until I need it (which hopefully I never will).

Duncan

Aug 26, 2006
Adelaide, Australia
I had a CF card 'die' on a friend, I was able to connect it to my PC directly using a USB -> 11ty card reader & then run 'Getdataback' on it to recover all the photos.. formatted it on the camera and it was fine. It was 'Corrupted data' rather than card dying, in our instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor