GAME Microsoft to buy Activision

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
And they do way more deals for timed exclusivity of games. Honestly thought it was hilarious that they got Deathloop then MS bought Bethesda lol

deathloop wasn't the only one, there's another this year

ghostwire: tokyo, from tango (another studio bethesda owns), tango is shinji mikami's studio (aladdin, resident evil, dino crisis, resident evil 4, the evil within) and is mostly known for the evil within franchise, i don't even know anything else they've made

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
continue? they would have to start before it becomes continue

the PS is more popular everywhere, its just closer in the US

once bethesda and id games start being exclusive to xbox you'll see that change. especially with gamepass. i feel like sony is going to have to make something to compete with gamepass.

TheEvil1

Hell is other people
OT Supporter
Jul 4, 2003
BFE NY
once bethesda and id games start being exclusive to xbox you'll see that change. especially with gamepass. i feel like sony is going to have to make something to compete with gamepass.
imn clearly in wait and see/ 0 fucks given mode about this, even if they pull everything off the PS i dont think ill care, unless they remove the small number of them i may actually play from the PC as well

as it stands now i simply don't really have any interest in anything made under Activ or Bethesda

Highlander_77

Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!!!
Dec 7, 2000
New England
And they do way more deals for timed exclusivity of games. Honestly thought it was hilarious that they got Deathloop then MS bought Bethesda lol

I'm not really a big fan of the timed exclusivity deals, unless these are games that wouldn't have gotten funded in the first place without whatever money Sony is giving them for these deals.

But, on the other hand, if you're Sony...how do you compete with a competitor that has insanely more resources than you do, other than to make sure that you have amazing titles that can't be found on your competitor's platform?

ostinato

OT Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
The implications of this are pretty fascinating. Sure will be interesting to see what the impacts of all this in 4 to 5 years will be to the gaming landscape. It's pretty obvious that there was never really a "console war".. with MS's deep pockets they could pretty much drop the hammer at any time they wanted. Just never been as much of a priority for them as it is now.

Keksimus

OT Supporter
Jan 16, 2012
I'm not really a big fan of the timed exclusivity deals, unless these are games that wouldn't have gotten funded in the first place without whatever money Sony is giving them for these deals.

But, on the other hand, if you're Sony...how do you compete with a competitor that has insanely more resources than you do, other than to make sure that you have amazing titles that can't be found on your competitor's platform?

I think the industry is going to change a ton whether ms buys a lot of studios or not. Amazon, Netflix, Apple, Google, Facebook, etc. already have their sights on gaming to some degree and who knows what we can expect in the next ten years. I'm not sure the current model of releasing boxes and relying on some exclusives to sell them will last much longer

The endgame of Xbox is probably to have Game Pass available on every device out there. Services with a large volume of content are the future of mainstream gaming whether we like it or not

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
I think the industry is going to change a ton whether ms buys a lot of studios or not. Amazon, Netflix, Apple, Google, Facebook, etc. already have their sights on gaming to some degree and who knows what we can expect in the next ten years. I'm not sure the current model of releasing boxes and relying on some exclusives to sell them will last much longer

The endgame of Xbox is probably to have Game Pass available on every device out there. Services with a large volume of content are the future of mainstream gaming whether we like it or not

that GQ article a couple months ago kinda spelled it out

Highlander_77

Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!!!
Dec 7, 2000
New England

I am aware. No, I do not like it, but it's inevitable.

Keksimus

OT Supporter
Jan 16, 2012
Microsoft IS going to fuck all of us though, eventually. :hsugh:

Bill Gates fantasizing about it 40 years ago

gates-nerd.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Highlander_77

Boing

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2007

The U.S. antitrust review of Microsoft Corp.’s proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard Inc. will be handled by the Federal Trade Commission, according to a person familiar with the matter, putting the deal in the hands of an agency that has vowed more aggressive policing of deals.

FTC Chair Lina Khan has long advocated for a more forceful approach to reviewing deals, particularly by the biggest technology companies, which she says are able to leverage their dominance in one line of business to gain power in other markets. Under her leadership, the agency has sued to block two major takeovers -- Nvidia Corp.’s proposed purchase of Arm Ltd. and Lockheed Martin Corp.’s deal to buy of Aerojet Rocketdyne Holdings Inc.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor