GAME Microsoft to buy Activision

SCirone

Aug 18, 2004

The U.S. antitrust review of Microsoft Corp.’s proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard Inc. will be handled by the Federal Trade Commission, according to a person familiar with the matter, putting the deal in the hands of an agency that has vowed more aggressive policing of deals.

FTC Chair Lina Khan has long advocated for a more forceful approach to reviewing deals, particularly by the biggest technology companies, which she says are able to leverage their dominance in one line of business to gain power in other markets. Under her leadership, the agency has sued to block two major takeovers -- Nvidia Corp.’s proposed purchase of Arm Ltd. and Lockheed Martin Corp.’s deal to buy of Aerojet Rocketdyne Holdings Inc.
Honestly I would be more surprised if they didnt review a $68 billon deal

Boing

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2007
Honestly I would be more surprised if they didnt review a $68 billon deal

well before, these reviews were just a "review" in name only.

maybe they'll actually start doing shit about these giant fucking mergers for once

Reactions: MM

SCirone

Aug 18, 2004
well before, these reviews were just a "review" in name only.

maybe they'll actually start doing shit about these giant fucking mergers for once
I dont know what exactly they would do or how the would justify it with this still only putting XBox in 3rd place behind Tencent and Sony

Boing

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2007
I dont know what exactly they would do or how the would justify it with this still only putting XBox in 3rd place behind Tencent and Sony

it shouldn't have to be the #1 sized company to make it bad - just block these giant mergers when they are fucking competition

SCirone

Aug 18, 2004
it shouldn't have to be the #1 sized company to make it bad - just block these giant mergers when they are fucking competition
How does it fuck competition when their main competition is still larger than them and third party devs are thriving and they are honoring all contracts after purchase?

I agree that consolidation is bad and that this could lead to very bad things if it continues, but I dont think this is where the fight happens

Boing

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2007
How does it fuck competition when their main competition is still larger than them and third party devs are thriving and they are honoring all contracts after purchase?

I agree that consolidation is bad and that this could lead to very bad things if it continues, but I dont think this is where the fight happens

So let them gobble up companies until they are biggest, then Sony does it, then MS does it again back and forth.

These only benefit the companies taking over. Ask all the ones that EA killed.

Highlander_77

Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!!!
Dec 7, 2000
New England

That's exactly what US antitrust law is supposed to prevent, as written.

"Mergers
Many mergers benefit competition and consumers by allowing firms to operate more efficiently. But some mergers change market dynamics in ways that can lead to higher prices, fewer or lower-quality goods or services, or less innovation

Section 7 of the Clayton Act prohibits mergers and acquisitions when the effect "may be substantially to lessen competition, or to tend to create a monopoly." The key question the agency asks is whether the proposed merger is likely to create or enhance market power or facilitate its exercise. The greatest antitrust concern arises with proposed mergers between direct competitors (horizontal mergers). The FTC and the DOJ have developed Horizontal Merger Guidelines that set out the agencies' analytical framework for answering that key question, and have provided a Commentary on the Horizontal Merger Guidelines that provides many specific examples of how those principles have been applied in actual mergers reviewed by the agencie

Merger law is generally forward-looking: it bars mergers that may lead to harmful effects."

Dismay

Super Swell Guy
OT Supporter
May 23, 2000
SoCalish
Youre pissed that you got 30% bump in a single day?

I mean I'm probably the only person here that believed Immortal will fucking dominate the mobile game space when it comes out, but it cant get any better than this...

No you aren’t the only person.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor