GUN Military cruu, how's the economy affecting you?

NetChemica

OT Supporter
Aug 31, 2003
Do the active duty members on here feel any kind of hit from the piss poor economy?

Right now business is coming to a crawl at our dealership, and we just laid off 600 people nation wide :(.

Any odd cutbacks in your branch?

NEp8ntballer

Mar 22, 2006
I get my stipend on the 15th...

fortunately unless the .gov goes bankrupt there's no way that they can't pay us. especially when the military has all the major firepower.

nsxrebel

May 22, 2006
Do the active duty members on here feel any kind of hit from the piss poor economy?

Right now business is coming to a crawl at our stealership, and we just laid off 600 people nation wide :(.

Any odd cutbacks in your branch?

What brand? Weren't American car companies already hurting? Even with their "employee discount" which really wasn't much of a discount from what I hear. :mamoru:

We all know the downfall of American cars is the UAW.

As for Mil members, those paydays still come on the 1st and 15th.

Maffy29

Jan 5, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm only losing money because I was getting paid more at my technician job.

Big drop from GS-11 to E4.

By the way, tons of technician openings for IT folks in PA. Lots of GS-9 and GS-11 positions.

nsxrebel

May 22, 2006
Going broke paying for gas to get to work and drive young Marines to where they need to be.
:dunno:

Other than that, just down 6k in my 401k now too. :wtc:

Why the fuck are you going broke? Has you no gov'i? Why are you using your POV to drive Marines around? You should be using the unit's vehicle or request one from your unit.

As for going broke because you commute, well that's sorta your fault. Live closer to base, spend more on rent/mortgage, spend less on commuting, don't deal with as much traffic. Live farther away, spend less on rent/mortgage, more on gas, and you have to deal with all that traffic and waste more time.

nsxrebel

May 22, 2006
The base he is at, he could be 2 minutes from a gate and still over 30 minutes away from his work. That's when there is NO traffic.

And I can't tell you the number of times my husband has used his own POV to help out someone from the command; sometimes it's just the right thing to do.

True, I know how that can go sometimes, but he refuses to drive a HMMWV because he does not want to wear a kevlar helmet and flak jacket. I'd rather do that than spend my own monies on gas and cause more wear and tear on my POV.

PresidentJames

Sep 28, 2008
ask me later.
no such thing in the government, let alone the military.

dude the military have soo good benefits it's unreal.

n the government isn't getting bailed out, the assholes on wall street are.
the government is DOING the bail out, n if they can shell out 700 billion i think they're in good shape.

join the military if u want stability, our country puts a strong emphasis on it.

mikdavi84

Nov 13, 2003
Kandahar, Afghanistan
as long as i'm getting paid, i don't care.

the second they stop paying me is the second I stop working. I don't give a shit how many people think that because I signed a contract I'm "government property". I'm not. I'm under contract. You don't pay me, contract is motherfucking up, son. I'm outie.

c.a

Jan 24, 2006
it affected me cause i listened to all those damn personal finance briefings and dumped all my savings into mutual funds and now i have like half of what i did 2 months ago

thekinggovernor

President Joe Biden Vice President Kamala Harris
Aug 11, 2003
CAROFUCKINGLINAS

the government is DOING the bail out, n if they can shell out 700 billion i think they're in good shape.

join the military if u want stability, our country puts a strong emphasis on it.
so many problems with that statement :hs:

NisAznMonk

Dec 1, 2001
Houston, Tx
it affected me cause i listened to all those damn personal finance briefings and dumped all my savings into mutual funds and now i have like half of what i did 2 months ago

I always thought they told us to make sure we had 8 months of emergency cash savings?

Bounty15

OT Supporter
Jan 6, 2005
8 Months is WAY too much. Usually 2-3 months pay is plenty, then invest the rest. You'd have to run into some MAJOR financial troubles to need 8 months pay in cash for an emergency.

Also, those mutual funds will go back up in the future. Unless you plan on retiring (as in no more work ever) within the next 5 years, I would highly suggest you keep that money in those mutual funds. It will pay off in the long run.

Bounty15

OT Supporter
Jan 6, 2005

Sooooo far off on this...

c.a

Jan 24, 2006
I always thought they told us to make sure we had 8 months of emergency cash savings?

I've always thought that was for civilians who could lose their job, but i dont plan on getting fired anytime soon

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan