FIT Mixing lifting with indoor rock climbing v.hit a plateau -long post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simplicity

OT Supporter
Nov 13, 2003
Ok so for the past half year or so I've been doing one day of rock climbing with three days of lifting a week.

Problem is I stopped making noticeable gains in some of my main lifts.

So I took one month of time off the gym, and did rock climbing 3-4 times a week I broke all my plateaus there, and then I came back to the gym and did a bunch of PR's.

After that I went back to climbing and lifting but i got stuck again. I dont know what to do, I dont want to stop lifting.

My only thought is that I was overtraining so right now im in the middle of taking 2 weeks COMPLETELY off of everything to let my body reset..

so now the question is, what do I do from here

i'm thinking continue with 1 day of climbing and 3 lifting days per week , but restrict climbing to 1 hour instead of going to failure

also I think I need to redo my gym routine.

Anyone have any advice, i dont wanna make this post too long.

also im eating enough.. im up 15 pounds in the last 3-4 months

thanks

TS
TS
Simplicity

Simplicity

OT Supporter
Nov 13, 2003
Oh yeah as far as what routine I was doing, I was on west side for skinny bastards , had it on a 3 day thing.

TS
TS
Simplicity

Simplicity

OT Supporter
Nov 13, 2003
You testing me with a shitty post like that?

In my post I said that I took a month off and then came back and did prs

so i think your advice is stupid.

Bragasaurus

Nov 4, 2007
Boston
have your lifts suffered other than plateauing? could be overworking a lot of your smaller stabilizer muscles with all the upper back and balance work involved in climbing. i used to climb a lot too, loved it but never really had it as a priority.

do whatever is fun and don't worry about the rest

Creator

The Creator Has a Master Plan
Sep 27, 2001
Here
Height, weight, age
What you eat each day
What your 3 day split looks like, and what numbers you are putting up

I don't see why rock climbing would hurt you. Don't take two weeks off. Lifting is all about plateauing for weeks, pushing through, then advancing.

TS
TS
Simplicity

Simplicity

OT Supporter
Nov 13, 2003
have your lifts suffered other than plateauing? could be overworking a lot of your smaller stabilizer muscles with all the upper back and balance work involved in climbing. i used to climb a lot too, loved it but never really had it as a priority.

do whatever is fun and don't worry about the rest

They never suffered a lot, and if they did I could always bounce back by taking it easy for a bit

Height, weight, age
What you eat each day
What your 3 day split looks like, and what numbers you are putting up

I don't see why rock climbing would hurt you. Don't take two weeks off. Lifting is all about plateauing for weeks, pushing through, then advancing.

6'3 , 210, 21 .

What do i eat: I haven't kept track of my diet in a while but im guessing 3.5k ?

my breakfast is routine for me, 6 whole eggs scrambled with toast and a banana or grapes , thats maybe 800 calories, and i eat 4 more meals that are that big at least

3 day split goes like this, Upper body/ Legs/ Dynamic legs

upper: flat DB bench rep with 70s
then i do Rows and Facepulls
shoulder press
shrugs
curls

Legs: squat: 185 for reps.. squats have always been hard for me
then i do lunges and glute ham raises and then i kinda leave. i always cramp up if i do more

dynamic leg day i just do a bunch of plyometrics and stuff on my legs like high jumps long jumps etc

doesnt really seem like much now that I type it out. I used to do more on upper day and i used to have another upper day until i started climbing

Last edited:
TS
TS
Simplicity

Simplicity

OT Supporter
Nov 13, 2003
btw i realize those numbers really arent shit, thats why i cant have this plateau bullshit right now

i was honestly thinking of completely redoing my split. maybe go on a modified version of the sticky in here. i wanna start doing incline shit for bench again and see if my shoulder can take it

Bragasaurus

Nov 4, 2007
Boston
sounds like we have a lot in common. read my log, get some deets, idolize me.

but seriously if you want PM me your full split or any specific questions.

Dunken

Welcome to the team.
Dec 24, 2001
Tempe, AZ
You testing me with a shitty post like that?

In my post I said that I took a month off and then came back and did prs

so i think your advice is stupid.

lift harder. instead of doing 185lb squats for reps, do 190 for reps, then next time do 195 for reps and so on. add 5lbs a week to your lifts.

aside from that, your split sucks, you got 1 chest exercise and 3 leg exercises, and 2 back exercises. you cant do more than 3 leg exercises cause you cramp up. quit being a pussy.

lift harder faggot.

TS
TS
Simplicity

Simplicity

OT Supporter
Nov 13, 2003
lift harder. instead of doing 185lb squats for reps, do 190 for reps, then next time do 195 for reps and so on. add 5lbs a week to your lifts.

aside from that, your split sucks, you got 1 chest exercise and 3 leg exercises, and 2 back exercises. you cant do more than 3 leg exercises cause you cramp up. quit being a pussy.

lift harder faggot.

I think its time for a new routine then. The one I was one was all about building up to your max or whatever and by the time I hit the max I couldnt do more then I did last time. Im just gonna go back on purs routine . ill post in here when i decide on a good split

i know i need more chest stuff. back stuff... have you ever climbed? maybe ill put deads back in. i love deads.

legs i always cramp up though dunno what to say. maybe i need to warm up better

TS
TS
Simplicity

Simplicity

OT Supporter
Nov 13, 2003
Ok how about this for a split. Pur's routine without the back day. i fit it in with climbing a little

DAY ONE
Legs
4 sets squat 6-10 reps
3 sets leg press 10-12 reps
3 set db stiff legged or walking lunges
3 set glute ham raises 10-12 reps

DAY TWO
Chest aka BO$$
4 sets incline db or barbell 8-12
3 sets flat db or barbell 8-12
3 sets db fly or machine 12-12 reps
2 sets weighted dips

DAY THREE
shoulders/arm
3 sets db press or front military 8-10
3 sets side laterals 10-12
3 sets reaer lateral machine or db 10-12
6 sets shrugs behind the back for 3 sets and too the front for 3
tris
3 sets 10-15 rope pushdown
3 sets french curl bar or machine 6-10
3 sets reversed push down (palms facing) 8-10
bis
3 sets barbell curl or cambered bar 8-12
3 sets preacher machine or db/barbell 8-12
2 sets hammer curl db or rope 10-15
wrist curls 13-20 reps 2 sets

DAY FOUR
Climbing
+ bodyweight pullups 4 sets upto 15
+ bent over row DB 4 sets 8-12

fatmoocow

bored
OT Supporter
Aug 27, 2002
the intarweb
Fail and aids all over

Detraining increases fast twitch muscle fiber % which leads to PRs (Short term anyway). This is why power lifters deload, and then taper before a meet.

Stop doing shoulder press and shrugs, both will fuck up your shoulders (hmm...wonder why it hurts to incline bench).

You probably cramp on leg day because you're quad dominant, tight hip flexors, elongated hamstrings, etc. You probably squat knees in front of your toes.

Your not plateauing from overtraining. You're just not lifting. If you squat 185 your still well inside noob gain land.

Do 5/3/1. Deadlifts. Corrective stuff for your hips and shoulders. Hip flexor stretch, glute work, upper back work to bring the shoulders back and down, not up (no shrugs).

Your climbing needs to be integrated into your plan for lifting. You don't want to be climbing on back day for example, plan out when you need recovery time.

Ore

OT Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Hamilton ON
Ok how about this for a split. Pur's routine without the back day. i fit it in with climbing a little

DAY ONE
Legs
4 sets squat 6-10 reps
3 sets leg press 10-12 reps
3 set db stiff legged or walking lunges
3 set glute ham raises 10-12 reps

DAY TWO
Chest aka BO$$
4 sets incline db or barbell 8-12
3 sets flat db or barbell 8-12
3 sets db fly or machine 12-12 reps
2 sets weighted dips

DAY THREE
shoulders/arm
3 sets db press or front military 8-10
3 sets side laterals 10-12
3 sets reaer lateral machine or db 10-12
6 sets shrugs behind the back for 3 sets and too the front for 3
tris
3 sets 10-15 rope pushdown
3 sets french curl bar or machine 6-10
3 sets reversed push down (palms facing) 8-10
bis
3 sets barbell curl or cambered bar 8-12
3 sets preacher machine or db/barbell 8-12
2 sets hammer curl db or rope 10-15
wrist curls 13-20 reps 2 sets

DAY FOUR
Climbing
+ bodyweight pullups 4 sets upto 15
+ bent over row DB 4 sets 8-12
As far as routine advice goes. Its really up to you to find what works for you. I like to lift similarly to pur's routine but I cyclical choose an exercise to perform on each day as the main exercise. For the main Exercise I typically do 1 set of warmup followed by working sets which usually consist of 8 reps then 6 then 4 working up towards your max.

TS
TS
Simplicity

Simplicity

OT Supporter
Nov 13, 2003
Fail and aids all over

Detraining increases fast twitch muscle fiber % which leads to PRs (Short term anyway). This is why power lifters deload, and then taper before a meet.

Stop doing shoulder press and shrugs, both will fuck up your shoulders (hmm...wonder why it hurts to incline bench).

You probably cramp on leg day because you're quad dominant, tight hip flexors, elongated hamstrings, etc. You probably squat knees in front of your toes.

Your not plateauing from overtraining. You're just not lifting. If you squat 185 your still well inside noob gain land.

Do 5/3/1. Deadlifts. Corrective stuff for your hips and shoulders. Hip flexor stretch, glute work, upper back work to bring the shoulders back and down, not up (no shrugs).

Your climbing needs to be integrated into your plan for lifting. You don't want to be climbing on back day for example, plan out when you need recovery time.

yea man this post is good shit. thats why i made this thread.. even if i sound dumb i knew someone would come in and help me out.

ill look up all that shit in there and see if i have any questions. i just busted out some squats and felt the quad thing. shit

fatmoocow

bored
OT Supporter
Aug 27, 2002
the intarweb
I updated the foam rolling thread with a generic corrective workout, pasted here

The OT Generic Corrective Workout

Since we have so many people with jacked backs, who can’t bench comfortably, here’s a generic corrective workout that will address the most common problems. It’s no substitute for a proper assessment, but it should work for most people. Note that you can get very stong doing this and you shouldn’t think of this as a temporary thing. Most of these movements should be included in any decent workout and will keep you lifting healthy for longer.

Each day includes a main compound lift, some complimentary accessories, oblique work, and some shoulder correction. Upper back to chest volume is 2/1. Generally you will perform the first compound movement by itself (bench excluded) and then accessory work can be done as super sets of 2-3 exercises.

Sets/Reps can be performed however you want. If you are not well trained, have significant issues, you’re fat, or are restarting after a long break, shoot for 3 months at high reps 8-12 low number of sets (2-3). After you’ve gotten used to some consistent volume drop it down to 5-8 reps for compound movements (ie 5x5). If you want to get strong, then use 5/3/1 for compound lifts, and 6-8 for accessory lifts. Shoulder work, particularly rotator cuff, should always be done at high reps. Do a deload week every 4th week, dropping both sets and reps, then re-evaluate your rep scheme. This will significantly increase your gains.

All leg movements should be performed with knees no farther forward than mid foot (split squats, step ups). This may require you to move way down in weight (body weight in many cases). The purpose of this program is to build up your glutes, hams, obliques, etc. to straighten out your posture and take some pressure off your shoulders and knees. All upper body work is generally performed with shoulders locked back and down. Fix your form and get some mobility before you add load to bad movement (reinforcing it).

Energy systems should be performed post workout if you need/want it. Suggestions:
Prowler sprints
Sled drags
Battling ropes
Kettlebell swings or snatches
20-45 seconds on off 30-90 seconds off for 3-10 sets depending on how much difficulty you want.

Bare Minimum Dynamic warm-up (every day)
Foam roll (upper back, IT band, glutes, quads)
Clams
Glute bridge
Hip flexor stretch (back foot elevated, split stance) 30 seconds x 3
Pushup plus (just retract scapula in a pushup position)
Thoracic Rotation

3 Day Split (bench, squat, deadlift)

“Bench Day”

Flat bench or whatever variant hurts least, swiss bar, floor press, close grip are all fine. If you can’t bench at all single arm grappler shoulder press is probably your best option. (Lock shoulders back and down.)
Between bench sets: Band pull-a-parts (reverse fly’s if you don’t have a band)
Single arm row variant (3 point, two point, cable in a split stance, or chest supported)
Lift Chop
Shoulder external rotation (rotator cuff)
Finish with dumbell fly EQI (stretch) for time (failure at 1-2 minutes)

“Squat day”
Front Squats (alternatively safety bar or zercher)
RDL
GHR (alternatively ball leg curls)
Planks (Start with regular planks for time, move to lifting one arm off the ground as you get more advanced)
ITY (thumbs towards the sky, can be done on an incline bench, flat bench, or ground depending on how much difficulty you want)

“Deadlift Day”
Deadlift variant
- Total noobs: cable pull throughs
- Most of you: Trap bar deadlift
- After 6 months: sumo or conventional deadlift
Chin Variant (band or machine assisted if you need it, neutral grip if possible)
Step ups (keep knee behind toe, focus on front leg glute, land with the heel)
Split squats (Keep front knee back, sit up tall, move straight up and down, use rear glute for most of the work)
Face Pulls
Pallof Press

4th day/off days
If you need/want another day, do some warmup and shoulder correction and light energy systems. I use this day to stay loose and help recovery. This usually works best between deadlift and squat days to give you more time to recover.
Suggestions:
Facepulls
Curls
Tricep variant
Pallof Press
ITY

Not included anywhere in this workout for good reason: shrugs, shoulder press variants, crunches. Give all that a break and see if you feel more awesome.

TS
TS
Simplicity

Simplicity

OT Supporter
Nov 13, 2003
looks like a nice workout . im going to pick that up word for word and keep a log.

thanks bro

Ep

I lift as well as rock climb and my unscientific opinion is that if you do both, you will hurt your gains in one or the other, if not both.

Most weight lifting isn't really conducive to better rock climbing. If you're hitting the gym, eating hard and putting on mass, your rock climbing will suffer. All of the best rock climbers are low body fat, strong forearm strength and back. Chinups, core work and climb are all you really need.

If you're grip is constantly shot from climb, than your lifts will suffer. My friend actually stopped rock climbing because his lifts were going down and conversely I stopped lifting to focus on climbing.

Figure out what is more important to you. Perhaps you can try lifting 3x per week, with rock climbing during the weekend.

TS
TS
Simplicity

Simplicity

OT Supporter
Nov 13, 2003
I lift as well as rock climb and my unscientific opinion is that if you do both, you will hurt your gains in one or the other, if not both.

Most weight lifting isn't really conducive to better rock climbing. If you're hitting the gym, eating hard and putting on mass, your rock climbing will suffer. All of the best rock climbers are low body fat, strong forearm strength and back. Chinups, core work and climb are all you really need.

If you're grip is constantly shot from climb, than your lifts will suffer. My friend actually stopped rock climbing because his lifts were going down and conversely I stopped lifting to focus on climbing.

Figure out what is more important to you. Perhaps you can try lifting 3x per week, with rock climbing during the weekend.

yeah, thats exactly how i feel

but i dont like the kind of physique that most climbers have.. lifting is more of a priority to me right now.

i climb because its fun and a good workout... im confident that I can balance both lifting and climbing.

but i might have to rethink that.. because i climbed 1000x better when i stopped lifting... and i lifted 1000x better when i stopped climbing

so fuck idk. gotta think about it

... ive decided to climb 1 time a week. fuck it. amirite. its like a gym day cept with lots of hot ass around

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DSimnovec