SPORTS MMA tries too hard to be 'classy'

BCIT

was watching HBO 24/7 with De La Hoya vs Mayweather and I liked how Floyd wasn't shy about saying that he was gonna fuck Oscar up and it was great hype. Although the king of hype probably goes to Mike Tyson with interviews like these :eek3:

[y]M4l0ZyKmeNE[/y]

[y]78ANu_CVGpI[/y]

It's not a bad thing to show a little personality (no, not reality tv Junie Browning bullshit). Here Mike seems demonic and psychotic. I love it.

On the other hand with the UFC you see them trying to build up guys like "Captain America" whose appeal is more 'class' than it is actual skill or ferocity or heart. Everytime him or people like him get interviewed they keep talking about how they respect their opponents and how they are a beautiful human being.

fuck that shit.

I could also do without fist bumping between every round. In short, MMA fighters have no charisma in or outside the ring.

[y]UDWnMXzgeZo[/y]

RockDaBoat

Nov 11, 2007
I agree in the respect that MMA doesn't have the outlandish characters that boxing used to. But MMA needs to be classy if it is to succeed in winning over its critics/states/cites against "human cockfighting".

Only 3 months ago my local council (I'm not sure what the US equivalent is) banned a Last Man Standing MMA tournament which was held on city-owned premises with the reason, "We do not want to be associated with this kind of brutality."

The classier MMA becomes/stays, the more accepted it will be.

And I can't believe I'm answering one of your threads with a serious reply.

Redneck Shinobi

Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that
Oct 27, 2006
Vancouver, BC
MMA has those mature people who keep themselves professional outside and inside the ring. There are also those who don't keep it so. I don't really get your point really. You have to watch more MMA interviews because they don't always do this. WTF are you talking about with Randy or people like him saying they're beautiful human beings? Seriously, they respect their opponent and what they offer. I don't see anything wrong with that. It looks worse to talk shit and get beat, then to not talk shit at all.

Ghost of Swayze

Ofcourse you mad
Jul 1, 2005
DAT ASS
they represent faggotry.

to be a charismatic athlete you actually need to be good, like Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, Tyson, Ali, or Roy Jones Jr.
ali and tyson are the only athletes you named that had strong charisma...the rest were just on top of thier game

Joe_Cool

Judge Judy and Executioner
OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2003
&On the other hand with the UFC you see them trying to build up guys like "Captain America" whose appeal is more 'class' than it is actual skill or ferocity or heart. Everytime him or people like him get interviewed they keep talking about how they respect their opponents and how they are a beautiful human being.

I kind of agree. Everybody is always going on and on about how so-and-so is so respectful or humble or nice, etc. That's cool and all, but really, so what? A fighters job is to win fights, not make sweet, sweet love to his opponent.

Joe_Cool

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2003
That said, more shit-talking isn't going to improve the sport.

TS
TS

BCIT

especially when you hear Goldberg introduce a fighter as "pure class"

i mean who the fuck wants to be known for that, as opposed to their fighting skills?

ITR06

Dec 2, 2004
vancouver bc
especially when you hear Goldberg introduce a fighter as "pure class"

i mean who the fuck wants to be known for that, as opposed to their fighting skills?
Ask Randy how many hundreds and thousands of dollars he has made by being "pure class"

kroneX

Jul 19, 2007
This is a sport of talent and class NOT about violence and talking shit

btw stop making dumb threads

Joe_Cool

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2003
Ask Randy how many hundreds and thousands of dollars he has made by being "pure class"

He made his money by winning fights, not by being a nice guy. I mean yeah, he's a nice guy, but he's famous and rich for kicking ass in the ring.

Math-E

Oct 11, 2002
Lakeview
I can't see Randy Couture or Fedor talking smack to each other. I don't think it's because they're holding anything back, trying desperately to act classy. So what you really want is for more shit talkers to get into MMA. Unfortunately, most of those guys you mentioned would rather shoot hoops than get punched in the face. :mamoru:

konrad109

Jan 6, 2006
Chicago, IL
I'm pretty tired of hearing "hes a great competitor and a great fighter..." during every single post fight. For once I just wanna hear someone say what a cocksucker the other guy was during the fight.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DSimnovec