TECH Motherboard Fried?

2xPutt

Jul 30, 2005
Ohio
So I get a txt today from the fiancee' saying the computer was making a clicking noise, so she turned it off. She said she had the log in screen up but when she tried to log on it wouldnt let her (I think the screen was froze where it was at). So she turned it straight off (which she said she had to push the button a while before it turned off). I took off the side and don't notice anything out of the ordinary. I unplugged and plugged in and it still doesn't work. Swapped out video card because I thought that may be the issues but still not bootup. Switched hard drives with an old one I had laying around to still nothing. There is a green light behind the tower by the power plug that is green and on and there is a yellow light inside the computer by the motherboard that is on when plugged in. Nothing will turn on nor will the fans even spin to do the 'pre-startup' it usually does? Is this the motherboard? Is it completely fucked now? Thanks for any help and information!

djshotglass

May 4, 2007
It sounds like the hard drive was the problem initially, but you may have broken something else.

Pull that video card out and use the onboard video. Pull out all addon cards. Disconnect the hard drive. Your first step is to get it to power on again. What did you do before it stopped powering on?

TS
TS
2xPutt

2xPutt

Jul 30, 2005
Ohio
I cant find the original video card. I think i threw it away. There was nothing else done except trying to turn it on. Computer was off when i came home. I just tried to push the button on. Then reset the entire surge cutting all power then plugged back in and tried it again then everything i mentioned above.

Wolf68k

OT Supporter
Dec 18, 2003
Houston, Texas
You keep mentioning lights on the tower and near the mobo. There are no lights ON the mobo?

I would first try with another PSU. You don't even need a video card or HDD or anything else connected. All you want to do is see if it'll power up.
If you do do it with no video card at all for the simple test the BIOS will shut it down or make a beep code that there is no video card, so it's no big deal.
If it doesn't work with a good, known to be working PSU then it's the mobo.

TS
TS
2xPutt

2xPutt

Jul 30, 2005
Ohio
there is a light on ON the mobo so does that mean the mobo likely ok? there is a green light behind the tower that is on when the power cord is plugged in but when I try to power the computer on nothing happens. whenever I'd reset the power to the surge protector, the computer would atleast turn off and when turned back on the computer would make a beep the fan would spin for a second and then you had to turn it on completely to start it back up.

I don't have another PSU to try... well I do but it is massive from an old XPS system I have laying around i'm not smart enough to figure out what cords I would need and not need :o.

Whenever I do push the button, absolutely nothing turns on on the system, no fan spin nothing. when this all happened my fiancee said she checked some e-mails watched a video, logged out and took a shower, when she came back in it was making a clicking noise, wouldn't let her log in (I presume the screen was froze where it was at) and she held the power button until it started shutdown. She said it stayed that way for a while, so she just held the button until the computer shut off completely. If it was the PSU, wouldn't the system been DOA as soon as she walked into the room? Or does it 'keep going' but shuts down everything around it and when turned completely off it's dead then?

TS
TS
2xPutt

2xPutt

Jul 30, 2005
Ohio
thanks for the help in this thread :) ordered a new PSU, got it today, hooked it up, boom, everything is working great.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterparl19