CREW Motorcycle Crew Thread - Hooligan Hoedown

JointBeaker

packaging engineer #2
OT Supporter
Aug 28, 2002
here.
heard great things about ivan on the bolt and scr forums
He's been around forever in the FZ world. Worked with Yoshimura and developed a full exhaust for the 06+ FZ1. Dyno's do show a slightly fatter midrange with that setup, but it just feels strange for a Yosh on a Yamaha. He used to require a Power Commander, but his last update, after screwing with a few things...means you can take out the PC. Supposed to be better throttle response, better mileage, reduced vibration...just overall better. No cost since I already had the old flash.

I know there are others, Vcyclenut, XPlane, and a few others I'm sure. I've been happy with Ivan's. Shrug

Reactions: cjonesy22002

jsilas

OT Supporter
Sep 9, 2006
PNW
No leg dangle no care.
Do it for the photog!

38uO9ENh.jpg

• Support
Reactions: ppzzus

Wolf

Slow Suicide's No Way To Go
OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2003
San Jose, CA
Tenere 900 may be in the works!! :eek5:

Wolf

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2003
San Jose, CA
Took the FZ09 to the twisties for the first time yesterday.
Lot of fun, but not a fan of the handlebar positioning. Already ordered a set of Pro Taper bars as a replacement.

20220430_113426.jpg

Stock bars after rotating them up a bit. Too much rise and too much sweep.

20220430_093942.jpg

Also an odd thing.... bike has an ECU flash (vcyclenut) which among other things, starts the bike in A mode. I was heading down the road, hit the mode selector a couple of times to get into B mode, and the bike died. :omg: Ended up having to hit the starter and give it some gas to restart. :noes:

Not sure wtf happened.

Also, the suspension is horrible. Previous owner had Andreani fork cartridges and a K-Tech RCU rear shock installed, but he was ~300lbs. So me being ~200lbs, every little bump in the pavement hits hard. Like it's solid suspension.

What it has:

Not sure how much adjustment will be able to mitigate things. Might have to have the springs swapped out. :(

Also thinking about a steering damper... steering feels super light with very little resistance. But maybe the wider handlebars will help with that somewhat. :hmm:

jsilas

OT Supporter
Sep 9, 2006
PNW
Also, the suspension is horrible. Previous owner had Andreani fork cartridges and a K-Tech RCU rear shock installed, but he was ~300lbs. So me being ~200lbs, every little bump in the pavement hits hard. Like it's solid suspension.

Not sure how much adjustment will be able to mitigate things. Might have to have the springs swapped out. :(
When buying a motorcycle you should always go in expecting to have the bike resprung for your weight (unless you fit the factory target rider weight - at 200lbs, you're far from that). No matter how good a suspension is, it cannot operate effectively if not sprung for your weight.

Thankfully springs aren't expensive, and swapping them isn't especially labor intensive either. IMO it's worth the money to find/pay a great suspension guy who can sort you out. Worth every penny.

I continually find it astonishing how much money people will throw at carbon bits, exhausts, Ohlins kit, ECU flashes etc, but won't spend a few hundred bucks getting their suspension sorted out properly FOR THEM. IMO the best money you can spend on a bike after the bike itself is the suspension.

Reactions: Wolf

Wolf

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2003
San Jose, CA
When buying a motorcycle you should always go in expecting to have the bike resprung for your weight (unless you fit the factory target rider weight - at 200lbs, you're far from that). No matter how good a suspension is, it cannot operate effectively if not sprung for your weight.

Thankfully springs aren't expensive, and swapping them isn't especially labor intensive either. IMO it's worth the money to find/pay a great suspension guy who can sort you out. Worth every penny.

I continually find it astonishing how much money people will throw at carbon bits, exhausts, Ohlins kit, ECU flashes etc, but won't spend a few hundred bucks getting their suspension sorted out properly FOR THEM. IMO the best money you can spend on a bike after the bike itself is the suspension.
Yup. On my FZ8, going from stock 0.89kg/mm springs to 1.00kg/mm (175lb rider to 215lb rider) made the bike much more stable when cornering.

Wolf

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2003
San Jose, CA
Swapped out the M4 exhaust for the new stock muffler. But when trying to remove the old exhaust I found all the exhaust studs were bent.
Luckily I had bought a torx socket set a couple months back when I had to remove the seat bolts in the Mazda, so I was able to remove the studs without damage.

Of course now it's probably gonna be like 2-3 weeks before Chaparrel sends the new studs/nuts, but :dunno:

Also measured the bars for the holes that need drilling. Will do that tomorrow at the folks' house with dad's bench vise.

20220507_141120.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
West1971