MS Office won't load.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Swerve, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Swerve

Swerve Active Member

I recieve the following message when I try to start my office XP (Word from the Start menu). :-

The path to 'Microsoft XP Proffesional with Front Page cannot be found. Verify that you have access to this location".

I recently used Registry Mechanic, do you think this has stopped me from starting it?

2. lemurballs

lemurballs Don't Look Back In Anger

yup.

reinstall

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Try a repair?

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Repairing might work well enough, but you might have to reinstall anyway, so you might as well reinstall straight off and get it over with.

And yes, Registry Mechanic caused the problem. Registry cleaners are good for finding potentially-broken or obsolete keys, but the repairs must must MUST be performed manually. It's impossible for the people who built the registry cleaner to know what kind of information another program is storing in the Registry, and whether it's really broken/garbage or not. If you don't know how to tell the difference between a usable Registry key and a broken one (and it's different for each program on your computer), you can't fix it properly; garbage keys are a little easier to identify, because you can at least delete keys created by programs that you've uninstalled.