ART Muay Thai / MMA Fighter Portraits

turbodude

Just a photographer
OT Supporter
Jun 17, 2002
Las Vegas
Did a mini shoot as a favor for a friend for the local MMA gym. Warrior Training Center, Las Vegas, NV. We had about 1-2 min per fighter. Pretty much the fastest pace shoot i've ever done

Strobist Info: 580ex from cam left behind the fighters with flag to block light from the Warrior Logo (caused a nasty glare), 580ex into a Shoot through umbrella cam right.

Havent had the time to process just yet, it needs some fill in some areas, some burning in others. These are all SOOC.

3036850197_3f8a78bbba_o.jpg

3037687638_b2f073a2a9_o.jpg

3037687622_d96af1718e_o.jpg

3036850115_dd1f307abd_o.jpg

3036850185_a0970499b6_o.jpg

Gvidon

Oct 22, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
You should of just used 1 flash with umbrella right above your head when shooting.

You like how one eye is totally dark and the other is all lit up?
Using multiple flashes is cool, but you have to know when and how to use them.

Better luck next time.

TS
TS
turbodude

turbodude

Just a photographer
OT Supporter
Jun 17, 2002
Las Vegas
it looks like there was less ambient lighting in thier shots, thats all i see

yeah i was going to bring a backdrop in and try to make a mini studio and just kill it all, but students were rolling to the left and right of me. I was in the middle of their MAT time. kinda sucked :(

aCab

Jun 1, 2007
Chicaaago
Technically they are good, but their poses just look too forced and make me want to lol instead of cower in fear.

tetsuo

And shepherds we shall be...
May 6, 2004
lighting is good, but just don't have the same feel to them of the ufc posters that you posted. i think it might be the goofy faces that some of them are making.

TS
TS
turbodude

turbodude

Just a photographer
OT Supporter
Jun 17, 2002
Las Vegas
Your shutter was 1/200th, whats your flash sync speed? You could bump the shutter speed up to kill some of the ambient

5d... 1/200 :(

and i feel you, none of them really have an intimidation factor. Plus they are all clothed and do not have gloves on. But for promo pics for teh gym, the owner wanted them to have Warrior shirts on.

Last edited:

Tedrzz

Jul 6, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
the line of that matt behind them cutting through their head really bothers me, but the lighting is good. i think the owner of that gym will like the pictures none the less. next time get on your knees to take the picture, it makes them look bigger and more threatening. also back up and use more of a telephoto lens (unless there isn't enough room in the gym)..lastly have the guy take his watch and jewerly off. if you're going to show their legs have them stand in a fighting stance or at least more of an agressive stance than just having them stand there like their waiting in line at the grocery store. but these are just some nit-picks. i think the owner will reallly like these and the fighters look great too.

NauticaX

OT Supporter
Jan 2, 2002
not bad for out of camera.. im sure they will match up more after some post processing. on some of them there right side seem to be a bit too blown on exposure. a strip box w/ grid might have helped control the lighting a bit better instead of a bare 580ex

f/2.8L

Oct 1, 2004
Pics would be better with club bitches hanging on their arms.

:o

Not bad, lighting works for what you wanted, don't like the bg where the top of the padding cuts their head in half.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448