GUN My .22LR is "gouging" bulletst

D2712

Mar 28, 2010
Last year I was gifted a Winchester Model 74 (Stock Feed .22LR from 1946ish) and I haven't been able to shoot it yet because it doesn't feed right since there seems to be some metal at the end of the chamber gouging all the rounds and they are not feeding all the way.

The metal gouge is at the top of the chamber/barrel

1MQU9.png

W0HNb.png

(Just a reference picture, it's at the top)

oPkyz.png

That is the gouge it leaves on the round, obviously doesn't look normal.

dI3R2.png

That is how the chambered round sits, obviously again it doesn't look right.

Now I'm thinking it could probably be filed down but I don't have anything small enough or delicate enough to file that burr without probably causing more damage, so if I went to a gunsmith with this, is this something that can be ground down or filed away and I'll be able to go from there?

Keesh

Oct 26, 2003
Just take it to a gunsmith and he'll use a 22LR reamer to clean it up if he can't get to it with a file.

I don't know anything about that firearm but it appears to be caused by dry firing. You may have damaged both the chamber face and the firing pin, so I'd take it to a gunsmith to get checked out. It may require a new firing pin. Numrich's has a pretty good selection of older gun parts.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor