My 8 year old Aroma $20 rice cooker broke

Mejnoon

May 6, 2000
Omaha, NE
yeah but can i use chicken or beef broth instead of water in these rice cookers?
I make this rice pilaf all the time in my aroma

2 cups rice
Half a stick of butter
Half of a white or yellow onion, diced
S&p to taste
A pinch of saffron
~16 Oz chicken broth

This thread got me thinking about that zoji tho… :hmm:

Reactions: Faithless

Jinx

forever sugarplum
Sep 25, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
See I disagree, I mostly eat Jasmine Rice and the good stuff has a really excellent aroma and flavor on its own with just plain filtered water and no seasoning at all
i like roasting a head of garlic in some foil when i make rice and adding the roasted cloves and garlicky olive oil in at the table

Reactions: monolith

Janson

OT Supporter
Mar 13, 2003
Davidson, NC
See I disagree, I mostly eat Jasmine Rice and the good stuff has a really excellent aroma and flavor on its own with just plain filtered water and no seasoning at all
I'll do like a 50/50 blend of water and chicken broth. Gives it a little extra flavor w/o over powering the natural ones.

Sonigal

Cats, Cats & more Cats...oh and SFP
OT Supporter
Mar 21, 2020
I make Mexican Rice in the Rice Cooker and it always comes out perfect.

I'm trying out this recipe this coming week. Hainanese chicken rice.

TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

This is the story of a little ship...
Dec 17, 2001
California
also i gave up on rice cookers and just spent a day getting familiar with how to do it in a pot on the stove :o
I do that with pilafs and Spanish rice but it's mainly so my kid can help out with a task and for general convenience of it not taking up a burner

Reactions: Jinx

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca
Did that today to test it. Worked well but it's so fuckin heavy back and forth, plus cleaning sucks as you said.

Just more hassle for the same effect of the cheapo cooker. Id rather even just use a pot.
The only reason I will use an instant pot over the stove is that I never got the hang of getting rice to come out right on a consistent basis using the stove.

H-508

It's ETA, not H, you fck
Dec 16, 2000
The only reason I will use an instant pot over the stove is that I never got the hang of getting rice to come out right on a consistent basis using the stove.
Yeah, super hard to do 2C rice, 1.5C water. Cover. Get to boil, then turn down to simmer for 20min

TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

This is the story of a little ship...
Dec 17, 2001
California
I make a LOT of spanish rice....my mom loves that shit and I use the stovetop exclusively for that. I make her a batch every month and she freezes them in little tupperwares lol

Reactions: XR250rdr

lescivic

OT Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Space Coast FL
I make Mexican Rice in the Rice Cooker and it always comes out perfect.

I'm trying out this recipe this coming week. Hainanese chicken rice.
So easy and so good. Got to have that daikon soup and dipping sauce with it.

Tesla Death Ray

Open your mouth, I'm gonna put something nice into
OT Supporter
Oct 11, 2006
Your Best Nightmare
i have a $20 one for about 8 years, i wonder if it's death is imminent.

I wouldn't buy a fancy one unless it's self cleaning or something. I use a bread scraper to clean the gunk from the bottom of mine and I wish I didn't have to.

Reactions: the_antsy_honda

smell my finger

strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,
Aug 8, 2001
N NJ
Wait so hold up, if I get one of these fancy rice cookers it will hold warm rice all day that I can eat at any point? It keeps it moist and out of the food/bacteria growth temps? (so over 140 degrees)

That would be cool

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallahppp6