ART My coworker is taking a photography class

Hipster Mike

Mar 25, 2010
Southern California
And while she is learning some good basics, I can't help but think that she is also being mislead.

She's finally shooting in Manual and learned to set her camera's focus point to center.

But she then told me that "You know what I need? I need those lens with the red ring on them! My teacher said I need those cause they are the best!"

She has an XTi. I told her that before she spends a fortune on lens get a flash.

It's funny too cause of the way she describes what she learned. Middle aged Vietnamese woman.

She told me this morning "When the hole in the camera is big the person is clear but the background is all blurry!"

Cesium

OT Supporter
Nov 25, 2004
Colorado
I would like to take some college photo courses for fun, but I'm afraid they'd force me to start with the 101 basics course and I'd spend a semester with people like this..

Wobistdu

red ringed lenses aren't the best

nikon doesn't put red rings on their lenses

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
It's fine to appreciate the limitations of your equipment, but to say "I need xxx" is quite a big statement

Kappa00

Pizza
Nov 25, 2008
8V1oq.jpg

My D90 has a red ring!

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
That sort of course would piss me off so badly

I'm a TERRIBLE class learner.. I'll learn by watching a quick video then going out and figuring out things myself. And now I'd say I have a good understanding of the technical side but never formally studied.

I'm sure I could still benefit from somebody experienced, no doubt. But I couldn't sit through a course like that without going crazy.

Even that Understanding Exposure book that everyone raves about.. I was so fucking bored after about 30 minutes that I gave it to a friend who just bought a dslr

Wobistdu

That sort of course would piss me off so badly

I'm a TERRIBLE class learner.. I'll learn by watching a quick video then going out and figuring out things myself. And now I'd say I have a good understanding of the technical side but never formally studied.

I'm sure I could still benefit from somebody experienced, no doubt. But I couldn't sit through a course like that without going crazy.

Even that Understanding Exposure book that everyone raves about.. I was so fucking bored after about 30 minutes that I gave it to a friend who just bought a dslr

then you read that book too far along already

it's perfect for people that ask for a petal thing for their lens

1992 240SX

Jan 10, 2004
Long Beach, CA
Every time we got an easy assignment like that, instead of getting pissed off about it I would just push myself a little more and go beyond the assignment. It's all interpretation anyway so we could really do whatever we wanted. Those starter classes are meant for people who really don't know whether photo is what they wanna do or not, it wasn't til about my 3rd year or so that it became a little more serious.

And I'm sure the teacher didn't word it exactly how she's translating it. L lenses are best, I'm sure but I doubt he just said "go out and get this".

TS
TS
Hipster Mike

Hipster Mike

Mar 25, 2010
Southern California
Every time we got an easy assignment like that, instead of getting pissed off about it I would just push myself a little more and go beyond the assignment. It's all interpretation anyway so we could really do whatever we wanted. Those starter classes are meant for people who really don't know whether photo is what they wanna do or not, it wasn't til about my 3rd year or so that it became a little more serious.

And I'm sure the teacher didn't word it exactly how she's translating it. L lenses are best, I'm sure but I doubt he just said "go out and get this".

she showed me her HW assignment. she had to translate it because it's in Vietnamese.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor