My first Pinzgauer breakage, and it’s weird.

skeletor25rs

It feels like real butter
Jan 26, 2001
NBTX
I was coasting to a stop at a red light and heard/felt a thump. Felt like a backfire. The voltage light came on immediately, but the oil temp light never did. I know it got warm before I got home, but I don’t think I hurt anything. I was only about 2 miles away.
The fan half-pulley broke in half and it threw the belt. I’m hoping the problem was just a weak pulley for some reason and not something else that caused it to fail.
I already ordered a new pulley and belt, even though the belt looks fine. I don’t have a spare right now.

5F1E3C7E-7476-4F91-84A0-9963B6C5C712.jpeg

Menger

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2011
I’m now imagining that belt suddenly slapping your leg while driving down the road

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
crazy never had a entire metal pulley blow up like that, ive burned up a few of the janky plastic ones

i had my fan blow up on the camper, soudned like a fuckin bomb went off, cut my upper/lower rad hoses, cut a hole in the side of the battery, and cut my power steering/AC drive belt

still made it a few miles down the road to a NAPA who was able to get me all the parts sameday, back on teh road by dinnertime :coold:

TS
TS
skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs

Jan 26, 2001
NBTX
im sure the local autozone has it in stock. :rofl:
Parts are actually pretty easy to get. Slightly expensive, but it’s all built really robust so not much breaks regularly.
The half pulley is $98. I paid for fast shipping because I’m already down a vehicle right now. Shipping from Arkansas so it’ll probably be here early this week.

Reactions: couchlock

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
Parts are actually pretty easy to get. Slightly expensive, but it’s all built really robust so not much breaks regularly.
The half pulley is $98. I paid for fast shipping because I’m already down a vehicle right now. Shipping from Arkansas so it’ll probably be here early this week.

new old stock or used parts?

TS
TS
skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs

Jan 26, 2001
NBTX
crazy never had a entire metal pulley blow up like that, ive burned up a few of the janky plastic ones

i had my fan blow up on the camper, soudned like a fuckin bomb went off, cut my upper/lower rad hoses, cut a hole in the side of the battery, and cut my power steering/AC drive belt

still made it a few miles down the road to a NAPA who was able to get me all the parts sameday, back on teh road by dinnertime :coold:
I’ve had an idler pulley seize up on a ‘92 GMC truck. The belt broke, which took out the wiring connection on my A/C compressor.

TS
TS
skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs

Jan 26, 2001
NBTX
Now that I think of it, I should have added a few more things to my cart while I was paying for expensive shipping. :doh:

Reactions: Wolf
TS
TS
skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs

Jan 26, 2001
NBTX
How many vehicles run out of his many vehicles on the property?
The Winnie goes to the transmission shop on Feb. 6th. When it runs reliably I’ll start back on the Mercedes project. Our ‘11 Duramax and Outback run, but are showing their age. This is the first thing to break on the Pinz in 2 1/2 years of ownership.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasonct