TECH my hdd fell on the ground, help

Deepsix

Jan 22, 2004
Canada
my externall hdd was hooked up at my buddy's house and he moved the thing it was sitting on and it fell to the ground because it has a short power cable. i dismounted it in windows and turned it off. when i turned it back on it was clicking and the computer couldnt find it. all my data is gone i guess? save opening it up and replacing the heads?

EkriirkE

Covid Xenu
OT Supporter
Jan 11, 2004
MUC, DE
$500-$2000 to recover at a datacenter.

It usually has nothing to do with the heads, the disk is likely physically scratched

TS
TS
Deepsix

Deepsix

Jan 22, 2004
Canada
$500-$2000 to recover at a datacenter.

It usually has nothing to do with the heads, the disk is likely physically scratched
ah ok, i guess i was never gonna watch the 42gb of top gear a second time anyway. i didnt lose anything super important like pictures or music, just tv movies and app installers.

doubledave

Jun 28, 2008
many hard drives are under a 5 year warranty. You can get a free replacement (cost of shipping the bad unit back to them only) They won't recover your data, only ship you a new or refurbished drive. Check it out at the hard drive manufacturer's website. Chances are they won't notice or care that it is because it was dropped that it doesn't work.

t8thgr8

evry day im hustlin'
Jul 27, 2005
Gulf Coast
or you could just take the hd out of the casing and plug it directly into your pc without the all the jazz the case and guts have, because it could be the problem. worked for me when i dropped mine

dorkultra

OT's resident crohns dude
OT Supporter
Oct 14, 2005
nilbog, trollhio
many hard drives are under a 5 year warranty. You can get a free replacement (cost of shipping the bad unit back to them only) They won't recover your data, only ship you a new or refurbished drive. Check it out at the hard drive manufacturer's website. Chances are they won't notice or care that it is because it was dropped that it doesn't work.

keep in mind that most drives will also say that they can handle up 300 Gs or so. i'm not sure if they have a little indicator inside. still always worth a try to get a new drive

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448