ART My latest project: 3D photography, WMB 3D

HighTachPres

Jan 23, 2004
Greenville, SC
Except I wasn't the photographer, I am the art director for the magazine. Nick Saglimbeni is the mastermind behind the project. He built the one-of-a-kind camera, and slaved away with tons of trail and error to get the photos just right. It's NOT as simple as taking a picture with 2 cameras.

The idea is to have a fully 3D magazine every ~2mo. Because of the popularity of tablets, we felt this was the perfect medium. The attention to detail Nick puts into his images is insane, the depth is amazing. You can download the apps through the WMB 3D website, links here:
http://www.wmb3d.com

Some layouts:

110810_wmb3d_03.jpg

110810_wmb3d_08.jpg

110810_wmb3d_06.jpg

110810_wmb3d_07.jpg

and me reading the beautiful 9x12 print version. We did a short run of these for promotional purposes :wiggle:
110810_wmb3d_02.jpg

aaaaaaaand, we showed a few random people on the Vegas strip and here are their reactions :rofl::rofl::rofl:
[y]BPgk70N6OdM[/y]

Now ask away you nosey OTAPers, but I'm not showing you the camera :nono:

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Usually I hate 3D stuff, but I suspect that's because most of it is badly done

But judging by those reactions, this 3D is really good quality!

Best of luck - I hope it's a huge success for you! :bigthumb:

TS
TS
HighTachPres

HighTachPres

Jan 23, 2004
Greenville, SC
LOL time to bust out the glasses that came with my copy of Coraline lol.

Such a well done movie, I was impressed. Didn't watch in 3D though. Is it red/cyan??

3D still isn't accepted mainly bc of the bad apples, and having to wear glasses. But I guarantee it will be mainstream in a few years, mainly if glasses-less charges through and becomes affordable. I saw the HTC phone a few days ago and was shocked how well it was able to do 3D without glasses... From a freakin phone.

You bet your ass we'll do glasses-less conversions when tablets support the technology

dmora

I like you.
I like your work.

3d is a gimmick. No matter how good or bad it's executed. It ads nothing to the story or concept. What's in "fashion" (gimmicks) comes and then goes back to obscurity.

It's still a picture of a woman.
It's still a picture of a car, watch, object.
The 3d added nothing to that.

My 2 cents. :o

Girth

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OT Supporter
Jun 28, 2002
Houston
I like you.
I like your work.

3d is a gimmick. No matter how good or bad it's executed. It ads nothing to the story or concept. What's in "fashion" (gimmicks) comes and then goes back to obscurity.

It's still a picture of a woman.
It's still a picture of a car, watch, object.
The 3d added nothing to that.

My 2 cents. :o

so you've looked at these pics w/ the 3d glasses... right?

TS
TS
HighTachPres

HighTachPres

Jan 23, 2004
Greenville, SC
I don't see why there are so many haters of 3D. I personally love it when 3D is done right. Avatar? TRON? Holy endangered panda balls that was awesome. When you can look at the cover of WMB, and see every little spike on Kim's shoulder individually wirhout straining yor eyes... It's quite an experience.

alexromo

Jul 10, 2005
Wahiawa
I don't see why there are so many haters of 3D. I personally love it when 3D is done right. Avatar? TRON? Holy endangered panda balls that was awesome. When you can look at the cover of WMB, and see every little spike on Kim's shoulder individually wirhout straining yor eyes... It's quite an experience.

its just not practical

TS
TS
HighTachPres

HighTachPres

Jan 23, 2004
Greenville, SC
How is it not practical?
Glasses I understand, it is a minor annoyance to use glasses. And the reason we chose to do red/cyan is bc it's the most affordable and widely available across the world.

Once you see it, you'll shot bricks. But if you're too cool for 3D glasses then become best buddies with Scott Cotton and embrace ignorance.

Girth

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OT Supporter
Jun 28, 2002
Houston
How is it not practical?
Glasses I understand, it is a minor annoyance to use glasses. And the reason we chose to do red/cyan is bc it's the most affordable and widely available across the world.

Once you see it, you'll shot bricks. But if you're too cool for 3D glasses then become best buddies with Scott Cotton and embrace ignorance.

I just saw him post on his blog that his lost yorkie (baby girl named "Ellie May") is safe and sound. :rofl:

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006

I think it just isn't done "right" most of the time. Avatar was good, yeah, but lots of the other 3D movies are shitty and it doesn't really work very well.

IMO, the 3D thing *is* a gimmick. I don't really see what it would lend to pictures of cars, people etc in a magazine, but I haven't got glasses to test those photos you posted. (Though as I said before, judging by reactions in the video, they must be good.)

That's not to say that it can't be commercially successful though. I just doubt whether in the future, all magazines will be in 3D...

Idyfohu

Oct 29, 2003
Utah
I think it just isn't done "right" most of the time. Avatar was good, yeah, but lots of the other 3D movies are shitty and it doesn't really work very well.

IMO, the 3D thing *is* a gimmick. I don't really see what it would lend to pictures of cars, people etc in a magazine, but I haven't got glasses to test those photos you posted. (Though as I said before, judging by reactions in the video, they must be good.)

That's not to say that it can't be commercially successful though. I just doubt whether in the future, all magazines will be in 3D...

Ya, agreed. I just want to see the damn magazine in the flresh already. Me personally, I'm a frugal bastard so I have a hard time paying an extra $5 or whatever for a 3D movie, but I know a lot of people that love it. Whatev, I don't care a lot one way or the other, but if something is interesting, why not take a peek?

Idyfohu

Oct 29, 2003
Utah
I just saw him post on his blog that his lost yorkie (baby girl named "Ellie May") is safe and sound. :rofl:

:ugh:

Just read that...gawd, you're not J* first of all, secondly, I thought you were a guy, and lastly, no one gives a shit.

Was hoping he'd have ceremony pictures up "Cotton" style. Unfortunately I was let down.

Girth

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OT Supporter
Jun 28, 2002
Houston
my 3D glasses came in yesterday. the 2D version is pretty awesome... but the 3D version is seriously :eek3:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor