GUN My little brother was sworn into the Navy yesterday...

CKMustangCobra

Nov 5, 2003
Orlando, FL
Saw him off at MEPS Jacksonville.

Finally doing something with his life... he is 26.

His job is Air Traffic Control, something he wanted. I think he's crazy but at least he is out of my grandparents house.

mrduke

Jun 1, 2004
WA
That's what I heard. I'll be getting IS4 off the bat after basic. I think I can test for E5 immediately or I have to wait 6 months, don't remember what they told me.
E-4 is IS3. Their advancement was great a couple years back, but looking at the stats now E-5 was 3% last cycle. You may be a third class for a bit.

The_Duck

OT Supporter
E-4 is IS3. Their advancement was great a couple years back, but looking at the stats now E-5 was 3% last cycle. You may be a third class for a bit.

Ahh man, approximately for how long before I can test?

Also, what benefits should I know about? I'm about 3/4 there to my BS, should I wait till I'm done with active duty to use my GI Bill? Or is it better to use the tuition assistance while I'm in active duty?

mrduke

Jun 1, 2004
WA
Ahh man, approximately for how long before I can test?

Also, what benefits should I know about? I'm about 3/4 there to my BS, should I wait till I'm done with active duty to use my GI Bill? Or is it better to use the tuition assistance while I'm in active duty?
How did you manage E-4 straight out of boot camp? Is that in writing? There are too many benefits and there is plenty of info on the internet about most of them.

You'll be eligible to test for E-5 after 12 months as an E-4.

The_Duck

OT Supporter
How did you manage E-4 straight out of boot camp? Is that in writing? There are too many benefits and there is plenty of info on the internet about most of them.

You'll be eligible to test for E-5 after 12 months as an E-4.

Yea, it's in writing. I believe it's for the extra 2 years I have to serve. Here's the excerpt:

"Training in the Advanced Electronic Field (AEF)/Advanced Technical Field (ATF) Program and advancement to paygrade E4 per MILERSMAN Articles 1160-040 and 1510-030."

mrduke

Jun 1, 2004
WA
Yea, it's in writing. I believe it's for the extra 2 years I have to serve. Here's the excerpt:

"Training in the Advanced Electronic Field (AEF)/Advanced Technical Field (ATF) Program and advancement to paygrade E4 per MILERSMAN Articles 1160-040 and 1510-030."
Good deal. It's been 7 years since I joined, so things have obviously changed a bit. There's at least 3 advancement cycles before you'll be able to test, so that 3% doesn't mean anything right now.

TS
TS
CKMustangCobra

CKMustangCobra

Nov 5, 2003
Orlando, FL
That's awesome. How do you think he will do?

Not too sure. He has the brains to make it, personality wise... it will be a struggle. I really hope he does well. It has been a non-stop struggle with him. 26 years old, living with my grandparents, free-loading.... he is finally doing something with his life.

AC is a pretty decent rate in the navy...

I got fucked by a recruiter so I told him not to sign anything unless he got what he wanted. For some reason he wanted AC and waited 6 months for it to open up. How is seatime with AC? Any at all?

:bowdown: I swore in as a DEPer two weeks ago. I don't go to basic with the Navy till January though.

My brother was in DEP for 13 months before leaving for boot. Good Luck to you!

Reign

No
Nov 17, 2003
CO
:bowdown: I swore in as a DEPer two weeks ago. I don't go to basic with the Navy till January though.

What are your other options?

Because I've been in for going on 6 years now and can't wait to get the hell out. Even in the past 6 years, the amount of BS has just gone through the roof.

Reign

No
Nov 17, 2003
CO
IS. 6 year contract though, hopefully I'll find some wiminz in the Navy.

You should drop the extension for the 2 years for E4. I did that, what a mistake. Almost all rates that have auto E4 have 100% advancement to E4 anyway. Plus the E4 test is easy as cake. Also, the rates that do that program... an E4 is pretty much a E3 anyway. My department, Combat Systems (who you'll work with alot), has very few E3's or lower. Most of us are E4 or above.

Now making E5 for me... pretty rough. Stupid ET's and their constant less than 10% advancement to E5.

Dutchies

OT's resident abortion professor
Oct 18, 2001
Jersey, bitch.
Now making E5 for me... pretty rough. Stupid ET's and their constant less than 10% advancement to E5.

I took the GSE2 test 4 times, each time the % went down, finally on my 4th try at fucking 2% i made it, 7 out of 250 people, i was the 7th. :hsd:

The_Duck

OT Supporter
What are your other options?

Because I've been in for going on 6 years now and can't wait to get the hell out. Even in the past 6 years, the amount of BS has just gone through the roof.

Pretty much nothing at the moment, I've signed my contract and swore in. Not sure if I can drop the 2 year commitment. I'll be 22 by the time I ship, so I'll be still fairly young when I get out at 28. I only need about 45 more creds for my BS. So pretty much I'm stuck with what I have. Hopefully I'll like what I do.

The_Duck

OT Supporter
Fuuuuu, well the reason why I took OT is because I'm going into law enforcement, looking for possible federal level, if not municipal. From what I've been generally told is that IS at the moment has better advancement. Minimum service time for IS is 5 years anyways, so it's a 1 year extra commitment.

TS
TS
CKMustangCobra

CKMustangCobra

Nov 5, 2003
Orlando, FL
It's been almost two weeks and I have not received a letter from him. I wrote him once I got his address.

I assume like it was in my BC, no phone calls or letter the first 2 weeks... then letters if you got time on Sundays. No phone calls until the last week or so.

Does anyone know if his training will lateral over to the civilian side? I know he wants to do 20+ in the military... but if he doesn't like saluting anymore, how difficult would it be to transition? Would he have to take all the FAA classes and junk? At least be ahead of the game as far as a resume?

SaintGRW

OT Supporter
Nov 10, 2002
Chi-Town
It's been almost two weeks and I have not received a letter from him. I wrote him once I got his address.

I assume like it was in my BC, no phone calls or letter the first 2 weeks... then letters if you got time on Sundays. No phone calls until the last week or so.

Does anyone know if his training will lateral over to the civilian side? I know he wants to do 20+ in the military... but if he doesn't like saluting anymore, how difficult would it be to transition? Would he have to take all the FAA classes and junk? At least be ahead of the game as far as a resume?

We didn't get mail during the first couple weeks when I was in BC, then we got it every night. It usually took 5-7 days for a letter to get to me after that. He'll be getting here probably a week before I leave for my first duty station, I can't wait to get out of Florida. :o

mangid

OT Supporter
Jan 12, 2008
San Diego
Pretty much nothing at the moment, I've signed my contract and swore in. Not sure if I can drop the 2 year commitment. I'll be 22 by the time I ship, so I'll be still fairly young when I get out at 28. I only need about 45 more creds for my BS. So pretty much I'm stuck with what I have. Hopefully I'll like what I do.

No dude... drop the 2 year extension. Trust us.

Reign

No
Nov 17, 2003
CO
I took the GSE2 test 4 times, each time the % went down, finally on my 4th try at fucking 2% i made it, 7 out of 250 people, i was the 7th. :hsd:

I'm a horrible test taker so it took me 6 (maybe 7, I can't remember) times to make E5. The 2nd through 4th tests I studied for and noticed my scores never improved. Then I took the advice of a Chief that used to design the tests. He told me don't study, just study the question and answers. This is basically what he told me on how to take it.

Always keep count of how many A, B,C,D answers you mark. Skip the ones you have no idea on. At the end of the test go back through to the ones you skipped and mark them accordingly. There are always 50 of each answer. The others, if it's a true or false answer, 9 times out of ten the answer is true. The longest answer is also usually the correct one. And know your BMR.

I took that advice, my 5th test I missed it by 1.11 and the 6th test I made it by 22. All my other tests, I missed it by 10 or more even with EP eval.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan