TECH My replacement Samsung 2TB has poor speeds, sawtooth pattern wtf

Moloch

Jul 23, 2007
Sullivan,IN
My original drive died a few months ago and the drive Samsung sent to me is much slower and all the hdd benchmarks give me much slower speeds and a sawtooth test pattern for STR. I've tried multiple formats, using a GPT as well as a Mbr partition style(win7) and nothing has any effect on the speed of it. Any ideas?
For reference, original drive:
Z3fKM.png

Replacement drive:
ET8QM.png

dorkultra

OT's resident crohns dude
OT Supporter
Oct 14, 2005
nilbog, trollhio
a few of my hard drives for comparison. i really haven't noticed any slowdowns

it could be an issue with your sata controller or the one built into the drive. have you tried a different sata cord and port?
HY2rS.png

Xgrnb.png

UZxOz.png

TS
TS
Moloch

Moloch

Jul 23, 2007
Sullivan,IN
I tried a different sata cable (swapped it with a hdd I dont rly use) and used the native sata controller instead of my pci-e highpoint sata III controller and that fixed it. I've switched cables before and tried native sata controllor with no difference, so curious why it fixed it. The drive I swapped cables with doesn't exhibit the erratic STR pattern btw. The drive never produced any s.m.a.r.t errors btw.
My avg read speed is now within a few MB of the original drive, which was totally clean when I benchmarked it, I've put 200GB of data on the new drive.

dorkultra

OT's resident crohns dude
OT Supporter
Oct 14, 2005
nilbog, trollhio
on my dad's office computer, he was getting about 4MBps on one of the ports.

swapped out the cord and it made not difference. tried a different port and he was back to 120MBps+

i tried the port the following week and there was no problem for a few minutes, then it slowed down again :dunno:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan