GUN My running sucks so bad vs. Leavint for AFBT in 20 days

Alexqzilla

Dec 23, 2006
East Bay, California
I've been running every morning for the last month and my mile time is still ~9:30 :ugh: I've got pushups and situps down and have all the rank structure / air force song memorized but try as I might I can't break the 9 minute barrier on my run, and it makes me think I'm doomed.

I'm not in bad shape, 5'7 145 pounds

I'm making a serious commitment to myself to be able to do the 1.5 in at least 12 minutes before I leave or I am a piece of shit. I can't even slow jog 1.5 miles.

Just ranting / looking for tips :sadwavey:I think I'm just not breathing correctly

armond

Dec 21, 2003
Texas
Just running 1.5 miles everyday will do nothing for you compared to varying your running distances/speed. I say look up some programs. I would say to try some days running over 2 miles, and other days do sprints.

In basic the newer running program(comparing 2000 to 2008) is pretty good, and I saw myself running 1.5 in about 9:30, I came in running it in about 12:00. Just don't lax up, and always push yourself. You will be fine.

TS
TS
Alexqzilla

Alexqzilla

Dec 23, 2006
East Bay, California
Keep pushing it. Are you running outdoors or on a treadmill?

If you can try and push beyond the 1.5 and build up some sort of endurance base.
No treadmill, there's a trail behind my house with markers every quarter mile. I just run back and forth between the markers :hsd: Makes the goalposts closer together and easier to reach.

Most of the improvement I've made has been due to tricking myself :rofl: I try not to look at faraway objects or think about how much further I have to run to reach the full mile.

When I stopped looking at trees or benches and saying "I'm going to make it to that object" I got way better. Now I just count in my head.

Not to get all abstract but the best way I can describe how I run is in beats. I listen to my steps in a time signature, every 8th step I count 1.

step step step step step step step 1
step step step step step step step 2
step step step step step step step 3
etc etc etc

It allows me to keep a steady pace and it also helps me keep my breathing patterns static and less all over the place.

I even went as far as to see how high I have to count to reach my goals

First quarter mile is ~40
Second is ~80
Third is ~130 (because I'm going slower now)
Fourth is ~200 (because I'm basically dead)

To get to the full 1.5 I have to make to at least 300

Knowing I've gotten to 200 makes me feel proud of myself because before I started counting and stopped looking at faraway objects I could barely run half a mile :bowdown:

Still have a long way to go though

TS
TS
Alexqzilla

Alexqzilla

Dec 23, 2006
East Bay, California
Just running 1.5 miles everyday will do nothing for you compared to varying your running distances/speed. I say look up some programs. I would say to try some days running over 2 miles, and other days do sprints.

In basic the newer running program(comparing 2000 to 2008) is pretty good, and I saw myself running 1.5 in about 9:30, I came in running it in about 12:00. Just don't lax up, and always push yourself. You will be fine.
I would feel pretty awesome about myself if I could make it 2 miles without stopping.

I haven't been sprinting AT ALL, I guess it's something I should really try, even though I doubt I could sprint further than a quarter mile. I've never been able to run further than a mile :wtc: I have a lot of progress to make

So when you were in basic there were people like me at the start who managed to make it?

|3illy the |<id

Aug 1, 2008
I used to run college cross, so hopefully I can help a bit. Not military crew though, just saw the thread.

Running less than 20 mins/day will do very little to nothing to help your endurance. You want to add mileage to your training to push that so that you can feel comfortable running longer distances.

Start with where you are now ~1 mile/day
then the following week run 3-4 days at 1.5miles/day and add in a few 2 mile days.
the next week run all 2 miles/day
the following week run 4-5 2 mile days and 2-3 3 mile days.

Just gradually add up the miles as you go. If you're not looking to do anything beyond getting a time in the 1.5 mile run you don't need to do more than ~4-5 miles/day of cardio.
It will suck when you start for the first week or two, but after that it will become more comfortable. You can take an occasional (once every two weeks) day off if your legs get tooooo tired. Finally, never walk. This is what my first coach taught me. No matter how tired you are, keep running, no matter how slow you're going....never walk.

|3illy the |<id

Aug 1, 2008
and get out on the roads and run a route you map out with google maps.....going back and forth between goal posts is probably boring.

TS
TS
Alexqzilla

Alexqzilla

Dec 23, 2006
East Bay, California
I used to run college cross, so hopefully I can help a bit. Not military crew though, just saw the thread.

Running less than 20 mins/day will do very little to nothing to help your endurance. You want to add mileage to your training to push that so that you can feel comfortable running longer distances.

Start with where you are now ~1 mile/day
then the following week run 3-4 days at 1.5miles/day and add in a few 2 mile days.
the next week run all 2 miles/day
the following week run 4-5 2 mile days and 2-3 3 mile days.

Just gradually add up the miles as you go. If you're not looking to do anything beyond getting a time in the 1.5 mile run you don't need to do more than ~4-5 miles/day of cardio.
It will suck when you start for the first week or two, but after that it will become more comfortable. You can take an occasional (once every two weeks) day off if your legs get tooooo tired. Finally, never walk. This is what my first coach taught me. No matter how tired you are, keep running, no matter how slow you're going....never walk.
:wavey: Thanks homie, tomorrow I am going to do the full 1.5 if it kills me.

I don't like to stop and walk either, it makes my heart rate go back down and it's harder to bring it back up again.

The frustrating thing is my Dad's an Iron Man :rofl: fucking 54 years old and still doing 2.4 mi. swim • 112 mi. bike • 26.2 mi. run.

I know I have it in me

Kalel36

Feb 13, 2010
Wherever I lay my head
60-120's are most effective to me, it sucks and you have to be willing to push yourself. Sprint for 60 seconds and jog for 120, learn to control your breathing and get your heart rate down (Take a quick deep breath and exhale and then get back into you running rhythm)

Figori

Taking BRC to the EXTREME. Bitch I operate.
OT Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
Somewhere near the Pentagon...
Don't worry. You're doing more than most. I went to basic (AF) running a 15 minute mile and a half. I left running a 10:15. You will do plenty of running when you get there. I would definitely pick up the distance portion and run 2-3 miles a day. You will be running at least that much a day in basic, on top of 1-2 miles of marching. You'll get there.

CommanderFish

OT Supporter
Jan 9, 2011
South Jersey
I run a 12:30 2 mile:o

Running is a mental game, you are qutting on yourself. You have to ignore the quit and keep pushing.

I went to basic never running a day in my life, barely passed the entry qualification 1 mile. I was 5'11" 145lbs. I left basic training maxing the test. Your body will do much more than you will think it will do right now.

Burrito10

Jun 23, 2004
Arizona
dude im a pussy at running. I didnt run at all for about 3 years prior to basic. First real run was the first PT test which I got like 21 mins, by the end I was running 14s. dont worry, just run when they tell you to run, dont fall out, dont eat fatty cakes and youll do just fine man.

|3illy the |<id

Aug 1, 2008
I definitely don't count second or minutes while I run, all I focus on is counting based on my steps

What?
Don't do fartlek speeding up and slowing down.

You want to focus on being steady and maintaining pace. So don't go out all fast and see how long you can run for. Go out relaxed and easy and then build up if you feel like you can go a bit faster. Makes getting to longer distances much easier on you.

armond

Dec 21, 2003
Texas
I would feel pretty awesome about myself if I could make it 2 miles without stopping.

I haven't been sprinting AT ALL, I guess it's something I should really try, even though I doubt I could sprint further than a quarter mile. I've never been able to run further than a mile :wtc: I have a lot of progress to make

So when you were in basic there were people like me at the start who managed to make it?

I can barely sprint a quarter mile, mostly because it is extremely strenuous. Meant to be. Running is different for everyone. Some people are great at it, others are just horrible(myself included). It is something that you need to continuously work on to maintain though.

I agree with the don't walk comment as well. If you do that, you will somehow justify doing it again. You can walk(to cool down) once you finish your distance/time. Start small, work your way up.

Yes, we had some horrible runners, and they all made it. You get this friggin leg bracelet which basically doesn't let you cheat(times you). No worries, when you get there, they will test you initially, then every week if I recall. You will see improvement. Also, they put you in running groups. Seems like you will start in D group(slowest). If at the end of the workout you feel like you can still run, the next day you guys do cardio, put yourself in C. MAKE yourself do that. The program is pretty decent, just stick with it.

Kenny Powers

BIG ANGERY
OT Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
My recruiter gave me a PT test before I left for MEPS and I couldn't even run the whole two miles. I stopped after like 21 minutes had passed and I was still on my 6th lap. I was doing 2 miles in the mid 15's no problem half way through basic. Don't worry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor