A&P My second attempt at decent photos..

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Junkyard, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Junkyard

Junkyard Guest

Here are a few I took this weekend. Critiques again are very welcome (good, bad, or otherwise)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

the top photo is :cool:

3. Mippity

Mippity New Member

otherwise

4. irishwhite

irishwhite Guest

i'm not gonna sit here and pretend like my word means much....but it seems to me that the second pic has nothing to draw your attention. i think, the tree is what messes it up. it takes away from the symmatry. even though it wouldn't be all that symmatric if it wasn't there anyways.

5. Junkyard

Junkyard Guest

Yeah I wasn't sure how to take that second picture. I know very little about photography, thats why I post my attempts in here. To get feedback form those who have some knowledge. I can't learn if I don't put myself out there and take some criticism.

I appreciate the input. What would you have done differently in the second pic? To be honest I was kind of going for a creepy/wonderous kind of effect. Didn't work that well.

6. irishwhite

irishwhite Guest

well, first of all, i'd like to say that your first pic is great. i didn't say that the first time, and i just noticed it now.

as for what i would have done with the second pic....well i don't know. i would have had to see what else was around in that area, and tried to keep the tree out of it. if you were going for a creepy type of thing, then it probably would have been better if you could have taken the pic at sunset when there is still light out, but also getting dark. i know this is unoriginal, but off the top of my head that is what i think of. i like the idea of using the tall steeple, but there just needs to be more in the pic. the background (sky) is too bare. i think that there needs to be something such as the sun, or a moon or something besides endless cloud cover.

please keep in mind though, that i'm not great at photography. (shit, i'm not even good) i think your first pic is better then any pic i've ever taken, and when my school's network finally recovers from the blaster worm i'll post pics that i've taken and you can go ahead and criticize me.

7. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

If you crop your second pic so that most or all of the tree is cut off, you'll end up with a much better photo for that "creepy" effect you're trying for. The tree is a major distraction as it takes up too much of the frame. When you crop it out, the photo works because then your brain expects to see the whole church but because you only see the steeples, it makes the photo appear unbalanced, therefore it's unsettling. You also improve the composition by placing the taller center steeple in the left side of the frame rather than the middle.

The first photo doesn't do anything for me. Are trying for a shot of the window or the church? It appears as if you can't make up your mind. If you want a shot of the church, you need to include more of it in the shot. If you want the viewer to concentrate on the window, you need less of the church in the shot.

Technically, the exposure is right on and the image is sharp. Good job.

Cheers
    Jim

8. Junkyard

Junkyard Guest

Excellent feedback. I appreciate it.

9. Junkyard

Junkyard Guest

Seems sunset pics are the theme lately.. Here is what I got the other night... what do you think? what could I have done better?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2003
  10. barnold999

barnold999 New Member

I love where the horizon is placed on most of them... most peopel get the horizon in the wrong place (right in the center) whereas, for sunsets, I usually like it at the bottom 1/3

I like the 3rd one the best... though the box looking deals in the water are anoying... possibly if framed the camera to the right more it would of gotten rid of those, I dont know.

Crop the land out of the 2nd and it will be nice... the land is just akward there...

Oh well just my 2 cents.

11. Junkyard

Junkyard Guest

I was thinking the same on the second one. I just couldn't get it right..

I have a question regarding the 3rd pic.. The detail of the sand in the bottome right looking boxy and sick basically.. is that because I shrank it down to 1024x768? It was originally 2053x1200 or so I think it was. Just wondered why it turned out like that..

Thank you for your comments though.

12. barnold999

barnold999 New Member

Hmm it looks fine to me... but if you reduce it in photoshop what method do you use to reduce it... here is how to check:

In photoshop:
    go to edit>prefrences>general (Or ctrl+k)
    and make sure interploation is set to Bicubic... if it is Biliniear or nearest neighbor it will look crappy.

Oh... also I just noticed the 2nd and 3rd pic have a dead pixel or so in them... clone them out...

13. Junkyard

Junkyard Guest

I have been toying with PS 7.0, but dont know much about it at all. I went to image size and reduced it that way. Reduced it down to 1024x768, then when I saved it another pop up came on and I left it at its default 10. not sure what any of that means to be honest.

So when you say clone them out.. I don't know. I will see what I can do with them tonight.

14. barnold999

barnold999 New Member

Clone... it is like airbrushing real photos... yah look up cloning... takes a second to learn but a lifetime to master :)

When saving images... save them at the highest res... when you save it... and that box pops up 10 isnt the highest... go to the highest I think it is something weird like 12... I am not sure why... but thats how it is... but I may be thinking of something else..

But whenever you resave an image, the quality will worsen

15. Davan

Davan Guest

I like the first pic. Very nice. The only thing I would do is crop off a bit of the sky at the top.

For the second pic... well, it seems to be lacking a definite primary subject.

I really like the use of black and white for both. Very powerful. Keep at it! :)