ART Natural Light Photographer :mamoru: my set

Deepsix

Jan 22, 2004
Canada
Went out and took some photos with my friend last night. I don't have a lot of experience with portrait sessions and she doesn't either. Neither of us knew much about good posing. I was going for the sun soaked look on a few and hopefully it isn't over done. C/C welcome.

Last edited:

michael

Florida Man, Esq.
Dec 21, 2001
The ether
4 is awful

9 is cool

i like the color connection between the coke, lip stick, tattoo and her shirt in 10

she looks good in 7

Idyfohu

Oct 29, 2003
Utah
Kinda just looks really awkward. #8 and #9 are the best ones. A little preparation and planning for me personally really really helps.

But I feel ya, it's just fun to go shoot and especially something new. :wiggle:

TS
TS
Deepsix

Deepsix

Jan 22, 2004
Canada
Kinda just looks really awkward. #8 and #9 are the best ones. A little preparation and planning for me personally really really helps.

But I feel ya, it's just fun to go shoot and especially something new. :wiggle:
Yeah, I'm kinda new at this stuff, but her friends saw them and wanna join in and do more in the coming weeks. I'm excited.

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
I agree that 4 just isn't a flattering photo by any means. Out of the group, 9 is the only one that piques my interest. For the most part your exposures are pretty good, but she just looks awkward in just about all of the shots.

8 is probably the best out of the group.

michael

Florida Man, Esq.
Dec 21, 2001
The ether
I agree that 4 just isn't a flattering photo by any means. Out of the group, 9 is the only one that piques my interest. For the most part your exposures are pretty good, but she just looks awkward in just about all of the shots.

8 is probably the best out of the group.
you like 8 more than 7??

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
i put that in there more for me and her. it's funny and an expression she makes a lot.

We don't know that though- and chances are that 99% of people who see the photo don't either. I'd just omit the shot for general consumption and just keep it between the two of you.

All it takes is 1 weak photo to drag a shoot down.

Idyfohu

Oct 29, 2003
Utah
We don't know that though- and chances are that 99% of people who see the photo don't either. I'd just omit the shot for general consumption and just keep it between the two of you.

Egg Zachary.

michael

Florida Man, Esq.
Dec 21, 2001
The ether
What difference would it make hombre? Not trying to be a dick.
None, but it makes even less of a difference that I ask...I know you're not trying to be a dick, but who cares that I ask? Most people in OTAP know what everyone else shoots with, I didn't know what he uses and there's no exif data, so I asked..:dunno:

TS
TS
Deepsix

Deepsix

Jan 22, 2004
Canada

thanks. will keep that in mind. cut it down from 300 to 75 i liked and then finally arrived at these 10.

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
I mean this in the nicest possible way, but she's a bigger girl, so don't shoot UP at her. She's not massive at all, but she's isn't a tiny model either. She's very pretty so to do her justice you have to be a little more careful posing her. Get some steps or a little stool if you have to, but looking down is WAY more flattering. Be careful not to draw attention to chunky legs, flabby arms, double chins or wide shoulders.. women are very sensitive to that :o

She can angle her chin down slightly to look slimmer and hide the double chin (i.e. myspace whores do this by holding the camera up high). You basically want a highlight on the chin and a shadow under her jaw/neck to make her look slimmer.

Avoid dead front on poses too.. makes her look wide

In 3 she looks like a giant.. she's towering above, you see her chin and neck

And see her enormous legs in 10. Crossing like that and shooting from the front is a no-no with a normal sized girl. By crossing the legs, she's pressing her calf flatter and wider, and from the front it adds a lot of size. Plus of course in this position, they are closer to the camera and therefore larger. I can see from other photos that her legs aren't huge, but this photo makes them look big.

The simplest fool-proof pose (thanks Bambi Cantrell..) is:
Turn her feet to point 45 degrees from you
Weight on her back foot (relaxes front leg and makes it smaller)
Turn her head towards you, looking up to you

Give it a go

TS
TS
Deepsix

Deepsix

Jan 22, 2004
Canada
I mean this in the nicest possible way, but she's a bigger girl, so don't shoot UP at her. She's not massive at all, but she's isn't a tiny model either. She's very pretty so to do her justice you have to be a little more careful posing her. Get some steps or a little stool if you have to, but looking down is WAY more flattering. Be careful not to draw attention to chunky legs, flabby arms, double chins or wide shoulders.. women are very sensitive to that :o

She can angle her chin down slightly to look slimmer and hide the double chin (i.e. myspace whores do this by holding the camera up high). You basically want a highlight on the chin and a shadow under her jaw/neck to make her look slimmer.

Avoid dead front on poses too.. makes her look wide

In 3 she looks like a giant.. she's towering above, you see her chin and neck

And see her enormous legs in 10. Crossing like that and shooting from the front is a no-no with a normal sized girl. By crossing the legs, she's pressing her calf flatter and wider, and from the front it adds a lot of size. Plus of course in this position, they are closer to the camera and therefore larger. I can see from other photos that her legs aren't huge, but this photo makes them look big.

The simplest fool-proof pose (thanks Bambi Cantrell..) is:
Turn her feet to point 45 degrees from you
Weight on her back foot (relaxes front leg and makes it smaller)
Turn her head towards you, looking up to you

Give it a go
thanks for the excellent feedback. i will use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan