ART Need a cheap, used DSLR

Artyboy

Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of
Apr 12, 2004
Somewhere in CO
I want to get a decent beginner DSLR. I'm not sure what to look for or what's "too dated". Would I be better off getting an older, midrange DSLR or a newer beginner level camera? Just curious about what models I should keep an eye out for? Besides Canon and Nikon what other brands should I look for? I don't want to spend more than $300-$400. Here's an example of something that I was looking at:

Canon Rebel 10d
18-55mm lens
75-300mm lens
flash
hard case

They're asking $500 for that. Any tips or a link to a good buyer's guide would be fantastic.

Aero277

Aug 13, 2003
Los Angeles
Honestly, that 10D is going to be pretty dated. Do you know what flash it includes and if it's an older 18-55mm or the IS version?

Aero277

Aug 13, 2003
Los Angeles
For your price range, you could probably find a pretty good used XS or XSi on Photography-on-the.net or possibly a T2i.

TS
TS
Artyboy

Artyboy

Apr 12, 2004
Somewhere in CO
Here's what wikipedia says about the lenses
"The 10D is the last prosumer camera to only be able to mount EF lenses. The 10D was released before Canon made EF-S lenses available.[3] All successive Canon Digital SLR cameras with APS-C sensors can mount the EF-S lenses."

The ad says the 18-55mm lens is efs so I guess that doesn't work. The flash is really tall.

tetsuo

And shepherds we shall be...
May 6, 2004
next week i'm going to be selling my 30d with 2 additional batteries and a couple of cf cards for $325. but there won't be a lens with it. :o also will be selling a 17-40, 85 1.8, and a 550ex flash.

Zerosity

Like drinking ten lightnings!
OT Supporter
Jul 31, 2010
I'm going to sell my Canon Digital Rebel XT and 18-55 Kit Lens. It's got a third party battery grip and I think I have a cheap set of filters for the lens (UV, CPL, something else). I was going to ask $200 for outside sites, but I'd take $150 (plus shipping) from an OTAPr.

TS
TS
Artyboy

Artyboy

Apr 12, 2004
Somewhere in CO
I think you're being serious.

On the Nikon side...D90 is the best bang for your buck IMO. D70 is more than capable and can be had for under $200 for a body.

I saw one on craigslist for that. I contacted him and he seemed to think that he was shooting for the stars a little because it's a few years old. Maybe I can talk him down. It had around 9k shots recorded. $1k is way over my budget but I could swing it easily. I do believe in the adage buy once cry once. It's probably a lot more camera than I could ever use, though. What would a couple of decent lenses that would justify paying that much for the body end up costing me? For now I need a macro lens and something for family photo type stuff. I'll probably pick up a telephoto lens down the road, too.

eighteen_psi

May 31, 2003
20D/30D is almost certainly the best body value for the money, either system. Definitely for Canon at $200-300 around here. Sweet spot as far as performance too, even compared with a lot of modern bodies. Older than that is somewhat cheaper, sure, but pretty dramatically inferior.

The 18-55's are pretty terrible lenses in either standard or IS form. Do not want. The 75-300's are pure junk, other than the IS which is just mediocre. The modestly priced Canon glass you do want is the 28-135mm IS USM (~$250) and the 50mm 1.8 II (under $100).

20D/30D + 28-135mm. Do it. Throw in the thrifty fifty and you're ballin on a budget.

Last edited:

Idyfohu

Oct 29, 2003
Utah
I saw one on craigslist for that. I contacted him and he seemed to think that he was shooting for the stars a little because it's a few years old. Maybe I can talk him down. It had around 9k shots recorded. $1k is way over my budget but I could swing it easily. I do believe in the adage buy once cry once. It's probably a lot more camera than I could ever use, though. What would a couple of decent lenses that would justify paying that much for the body end up costing me? For now I need a macro lens and something for family photo type stuff. I'll probably pick up a telephoto lens down the road, too.

Ah, you were being serious. In all honesty, the D2X was Nikon's top of the line camera and they still fetch a pretty penny...the body and construction is awesome and you can shoot at a ridiculous rate if you need FPS, but if you want a Macro lens and a lens for family, I assume 8FPS isn't necessary. I'd personally look elsewhere. If you're ready to plop down $1K on a body, I'd make it a D7000 in the Nikon family (can't speak for Canon but maybe an older 5Dc).

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448