Need a new TV. Talk me out of this 85" Bravia.

crazybenf

Nov 14, 2001
Central Florida
Sony 85" Class - X90CH Series - 4K UHD LED LCD TV

Features:
  • 5 Year Manufacturer Warranty
  • Direct Full Array LED
  • TRILUMINOS Display
  • X-Motion Clarity
  • Screen Size: 84.6" Diag.

It's currently $2,569 @ Costco-- but drops to $1,9xx tomorrow. According to reddit, hte x90CH is the club version and an exact clone of the X900 series.

I'd like to stay around $2k and have a personal hatred for all things LG. (Currently replacing an LG that started fucking up on month 13 when it had a 1 year warranty)

Anything better out there in the 82-85" size range with 4xHDMI 2.1 ports?

sony_xbr85x900h_x900h_85_class_hdr_1582724187_1545416.jpg

Reactions: Cicada

Sp33dealer

Bully Troll Crew
Aug 3, 2005
DFW
I have that TV

love it

I went with it because of sheer size and price point. OLED way too expensive at that size and not many options (yet)

I guess there is an issue with blur in 4K/120hz at moment that Sony is working though, so if you have a PS5 or Series X just noting that

Reactions: Cicada and Twinsen
TS
TS
crazybenf

crazybenf

Nov 14, 2001
Central Florida
I have that TV

love it

I went with it because of sheer size and price point. OLED way too expensive at that size and not many options (yet)

I guess there is an issue with blur in 4K/120hz at moment that Sony is working though, so if you have a PS5 or Series X just noting that

Nice.. Thats my thinking as well. Going to OLED for anything 75+ is just too expensive still.

The majority of use will be streaming disney+, so whatever. :rofl:

Sp33dealer

Bully Troll Crew
Aug 3, 2005
DFW
Nice.. Thats my thinking as well. Going to OLED for anything 75+ is just too expensive still.

The majority of use will be streaming disney+, so whatever. :rofl:
I needed something for my media room. Didn’t want projector because doors will be open during football and projector screen will probably be too much for size of room

eventually I’ll put an OLED in there once priced come down and more options. Supposedly Samsung is developing some sort of hybrid OLED/QLED units that will be a direct challenge to the current OLED units

El Slotho

Quirked up white boy goated with the sauce
Sep 13, 2001
Wine Country
Solid choice for that size. From what I've read, the X900H has done a lot to improve on Sony's X900F/950G series' blooming issues with 16:9/widescreen bars and titles over dark backgrounds. While it's never going to deliver "perfect blacks" due to the technology limitations, the overall picture still rocks and Sony is number one for upscaling and motion handling.

TS
TS
crazybenf

crazybenf

Nov 14, 2001
Central Florida
I'll never buy another Sony TV again. Had an LCD a while back that cost me $2500. It wouldn't turn on one day (barely out of warranty) and it needed an $800 board to be repaired. I've had longer lasting $300 televisions.

This one has a 5 year warranty on it, so not worried too much about that aspect.

Reactions: vr6vdub

Braco

It's chess moves, not checkers baby
OT Supporter
Jun 11, 2004
Florida
how far away from the tv would you have to sit if its that big?

Chicane

Ad Hoc
OT Supporter
May 4, 2001
West Virginia
Sounds a decent deal.

I looked up the specs and see it weighs 105 pounds without the stand.
I have a few year old Bravia 65 inch. It weighs 99 pounds.

I can't imagine a 20 inch larger TV can only weigh 5 pounds more. Must be some serious improvements in there. I do know this, after years of buying and moving cheaper flat panel TVs that weighed almost nothing, getting this 65 inch Bravia was a shocker.

It is so heavy and was so difficult to maneuver that I don't know how one would move an 85. I would like to see a video of it being moved/installed.

vr6vdub

Formz can't handle his emotions.
OT Supporter
Apr 11, 2009
nova
Sounds a decent deal.

I looked up the specs and see it weighs 105 pounds without the stand.
I have a few year old Bravia 65 inch. It weighs 99 pounds.

I can't imagine a 20 inch larger TV can only weigh 5 pounds more. Must be some serious improvements in there. I do know this, after years of buying and moving cheaper flat panel TVs that weighed almost nothing, getting this 65 inch Bravia was a shocker.

It is so heavy and was so difficult to maneuver that I don't know how one would move an 85. I would like to see a video of it being moved/installed.
Shit. Didn't consider the weight. Need to see if my current mount supports that.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright Β© 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor