CAR Need advice for first time polishing and correcting. White pearl Toyota

Sandwich

Aug 26, 2002
NJ
Hey guys, before I buy my products I just want to make sure I'm understanding what I'm getting and that It's the right stuff. Going to order the PC 7424xp OR the Flex machine from autogeek. I don't really care about the cost, I'm aware of the huge difference.

The truck is a 2010 Toyota 4Runner in Blizzard (white) Pearl, and there's not much info on here about white pearls (i searched and read the stickes). Can you guide me to some products to buy as far as light swirl correction to finishing/sealing. I'll be spending an entire day next week (hopefully) doing all this.

I really want that pearly white to shine and look wet and well..pearly lol. I washed this thing religiously once a week last summer with ONR and followed up with Optimum car wax and Opti-seal every other time. Now there are some swirls scattered and a few very minor scratches here and there that will hopefully disappear

Should I go the Meguiars 105/205 route or just the 205 since it's just light swirling? 105 might be needed on some of the more scratched areas I think though.

What about the Pinnacle or Wolfgang products? Like their swirl remover "kits" that come with everything, even pads and the buffer.

When applying polish/compound by hand around handles etc do you go circular or back and forth motion?

Will one pad polish the entire truck or should I stock up on a few? And what colors/types of pads do I use? I'm completely confused by the colors and "cutting" abilities.

Thanks in advance guys. I did read a lot before I posted and watched several videos on autogeek and youtube so please don't bash me if something has already been answered somewhere. :hsd:

Scottwax

Making detailing great again!
May 5, 2000
Home of the Texas Rangers
1. No one can tell you without the vehicle in front of them exactly what pads and polish combo will work. Start with a polish and a polishing pad and go up or down in aggressiveness based on how it works.

2. I'd stick with the big names like Meguiars, Optimum and Menzerna when it comes to polishing, boutique polishes aren't usually in the same league as their waxes or sealants.

3. I go circular then back and forth.

4. Ignore the colors of the pads and go by what their aggressiveness rating is, there isn't a uniform color coding for pads. You should have at least 2 cutting, 2 polishing and 1 finishing pad.

TS
TS
Sandwich

Sandwich

Aug 26, 2002
NJ
Thanks for the reply Scott! I was leaning towards the Meg 105/205. Even if I don't use the 105 I can use it on some friends cars as practice :rofl: I got a buddy with a white M3 that he hasn't maintained in 4 years and it's got tree sap residue, scratches and major swirling

The only other thing I'd like to ask still is about the pearl white paint? Recommend any waxes or sealants? Honestly, I wasn't that impressed with the optimum spray wax on my truck last summer. It was shiny, but not impressive shiny and deep/wet looking. (was brand new at the time so it didn't need any correction)

TS
TS
Sandwich

Sandwich

Aug 26, 2002
NJ
I cannot find the answer to this so I'll ask here.. which is the correct order of application? Or should I skip the sealant?

105 - 205 - Nattys red - done?
105 - 205 - Nattys red - Opti-Seal
105 - 205 - Opti-seal - Nattys red

I'm also reading good thing about Wolfgangs sealant, so maybe substitute that for the Opti?

Thanks again guys, can't wait to get my stuff in the mail so i can start. Will post pics of my work too :)

Scottwax

Making detailing great again!
May 5, 2000
Home of the Texas Rangers
I'd probably just go with Opti-Seal or Natty's. Use whichever one you like best and use it as often as needed. Don't get caught up in topping this with that, keep it simple.

TS
TS
Sandwich

Sandwich

Aug 26, 2002
NJ
Scottwax droppin knowledge up in herrrrrr

This is why I love OT. Can find out pretty much anything you want directly from the people that know.

I'm gonna read the stickies on here and autogeek one more time before I start with the polishing :o

Morgan06

Jan 19, 2006
ELM, MA
I don't like the idea of mixing and matching sealants and waxes- IF a customer wants/pays for it I will do two coats of the same product. I don't know if 'scientifically' it makes any difference in longevity or durability to do multiple layers. I would suggest allowing extra time in between coats to be sure that any leftover product from the first coat has been allowed to 'flash' off. :dunno:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan