SRS Need advice, guidance OT..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by T2 Tsunami, Mar 5, 2010.

1. T2 Tsunami

T2 Tsunami OT Supporter

never thought I would get to this point. I've come to the conclusion that I am suffering from depression/anxiety. Problem is that as an old school upbringing..I sucked it up. I also suffer from insomnia(fall asleep quick but wake up and my mind races). I figure meds will help....but I am worried about how they will effect me negatively...what to do?

2. Normie

Normie The TBW weight loss plan worked for me! OT Supporter

try excersize? get yourself in a routine of exhausting yourself physically daily, you might start sleeping through the night..

3. T2 Tsunami

T2 Tsunami OT Supporter

I wish I could..to the add to the dilemma I work 12 hour swing shift..

4. HatSee

HatSee Active Member

The meds do affect you negatively, but if the problems in your life right now are bad enough that you want to seek help then the positives of some medications may help you out. Not all of them are the same, and most take time to start working, but if you need them they can help you out. One thing though, a lot of the negative symptoms may go away with time.

Go to your doctor and tell him you are depressed and have problems with anxiety. It's not much more complicated than that usually. If you have concerns about the medication he wants you to try then ask.

5. HatSee

HatSee Active Member

No idea how that works out, I believe some of them with an XL type of the medication would be fine. Slow release basically, so long as you took it at the same time everyday. But your doctor would know more than I do and probably better explain it if that's a concern of yours.

6. T2 Tsunami

T2 Tsunami OT Supporter

I'm guessing I'll need to get a referal from my doc, or what?

7. T2 Tsunami

T2 Tsunami OT Supporter

so many questions, please help..

8. HatSee

HatSee Active Member

If you tell them you are depressed and have problems with anxiety they may have a bunch of questions but your family doctor will write you a prescription. Unless the ones here are just drug pushers, but antidepressants don't seem abusable so I can't imagine them being too worried about that. Considering the problems that can arise from depression it seems like they don't generally tell you to wait a month and come back after talking to someone else. :dunno:

9. T2 Tsunami

T2 Tsunami OT Supporter

that was my first concern...jap guy pushing my balls and asking me to cough was pushing it already.

10. HatSee

HatSee Active Member

If your doctor grabs your balls when you tell him you're depressed he might have a problem.

11. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

what are you depressed about? give us more details

12. T2 Tsunami

T2 Tsunami OT Supporter

all right I did'nt want to write a book to start..extreme upbringing(bad)...why I choose to leave bronx for amish county...I'm too intelligent for my own good..between my employment peers committing nepotism and my wife not being able to read the signs at home(what irks me).....I'm stuck

13. T2 Tsunami

T2 Tsunami OT Supporter

I hate drama and don't trust easy.....have two guys that I are good people...and that is it..for close family type friends, last 20 years

14. erynne936

erynne936 my av is a car, but i'm a girl. stop calling me b OT Supporter

have you considered therapy? or a combination of the two even? bad upbringing can contribute to how you feel about yourself and the world. therapy can help you learn new coping skills - now that you are away from your bad upbringing there are new ways you can interact with the world and it takes trying these new ways of thinking and being out... sounds like you may have underlying issues that you could benefit from working through...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  15. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

sounds like your environment is playing a big role in your unhappiness. going from the bronx to amish country is a huge culture shock, maybe you just aren't cut out for that lifestyle?

16. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

I would go see someone. At least then you can tell if you are depressed or just bumed out about life. They aren't the same thing.
    You can see someone without getting pills from them

17. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

What's bothering you? Need more details.

18. skierd

skierd Member

Start with a therapist first, then seek out meds if therapy doesn't help. Having mental burdens constantly weighing on you isn't good and can cause all kinds of mental and physical issues. Just having someone to vent to and to listen helps a lot and is, imo, more important than magic happy pills since its getting to the root of whats bothering you not just sedating your emotions.

19. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

WTF? Nepotism is not a crime. Why does this depress you...specifically?
    people are not mind readers....if you're expecting her to do that, you're not being fair to her. Communicate....open your mouth and talk to her. Based on your posts here, you have serious communication issues. You think you're communicating when really you're providing very minimal information. You want help....you need to open up.
    Welcome to the club....pretty much everyone gets stuck in their lives. The real question is...what are you prepared to do about it?

20. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

And thats where things go wrong already, "you sucked it up",

Reality is that you should never make your heart a murderhole, if you constantly suck things up, you only build up steam in the kettle until you finally explode. A good kettle releases steam you know. And it also explains the distrust, because you never open up, you have never learned who to trust and who not, as a result you already had an extremely difficult time just posting this , enfin you posted so that's a fantastic victory for you already.

It was a first but most crucial step into the direction of your recovery of the years of build up layers of hatred and distrust that has been making your life so miserable.