TECH Need an external hard drive

BigT

Hobo Crew
Nov 4, 2001
Trailer park
I’m looking at external hard drives to preserve my dandelion picture collection. Looking at 1-2Tb, do I really need solid state? Or will the generic 60 dollar seagate work fine?

Jumpem

OT Supporter
Oct 9, 2002
You don't need an SSD for data. Get a couple of HDD and copy the same files to both. Consider a cloud backup as well.

Reactions: BigT

herpes

OT Supporter
Jun 4, 2005
dfw
If you don't need a portable drive just buy a WD internal drive and a backblaze subscription.

If you need a portable drive costco usually has some nice WD drives. You have to be careful because some of them are slow as dog shit.

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
I’m looking at external hard drives to preserve my dandelion picture collection. Looking at 1-2Tb, do I really need solid state? Or will the generic 60 dollar seagate work fine?

1- buy any hard drive and plug it into your computer
2- sign up for a yearly plan and install backblaze on your computer
2a- add your own encryption key to backblaze (a passphrase) if you want an extra layer of security
3- add all your pictures to the hard drive
4- confirm that your external drive is backing up to backblaze (usually this is automatic)

Reactions: stevezissou

crontab

Oracle doesn't have customers, they have hostages.
Nov 14, 2000
wd black 2tb $50 @ walmart instore only i think. per sd

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan