Nest Camera Crew : Is there a way to save video streams locally using Synology or QNAP?

Cashishift

Dec 12, 2000
Omaha, NE
or am i stuck paying for Nest Aware which seems a bit glitchy on what it actually saves?

I don't like the idea of shipping off the video data. Ubiquti Dream Machine Pro has a HD slot.. and you can save the data locally.

Obviously if you have no desire to do the above its a waste of a post :o

TS
TS
phat🐄

phat🐄

#meltdowns are NOT based off post count
Oct 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I don't like the idea of shipping off the video data. Ubiquti Dream Machine Pro has a HD slot.. and you can save the data locally.

Obviously if you have no desire to do the above its a waste of a post :o
I have a massive amount of Ubiquities at my house but if i ever do routing / security with them pls shoot me and take away my computer.

Im reading that BLUE IRIS has a way of pulling next video . THe problme with nest is that it doesent RECORD everything, but it will record ONLY what it thinks is an abnormal event. It missed a few seconds last night when i had a car break in (plus the quality of the video when it gets clipped is lower than when it is shown on video

Reject

Jul 12, 2002
Cumming, Ga.
I have a massive amount of Ubiquities at my house but if i ever do routing / security with them pls shoot me and take away my computer.

Im reading that BLUE IRIS has a way of pulling next video . THe problme with nest is that it doesent RECORD everything, but it will record ONLY what it thinks is an abnormal event. It missed a few seconds last night when i had a car break in (plus the quality of the video when it gets clipped is lower than when it is shown on video

Nope, Nest cut off access

• Sad
Reactions: phat🐄
TS
TS
phat🐄

phat🐄

Oct 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Get Blueiris and then a bunch of cheap 25 - 50 dollar cams.
the night vision of these 1080p Nest Outdoor cams is a bit sub par compared to the enterprise stuff i deal with at work so i guess i should go shopping for the better nest camera

TS
TS
phat🐄

phat🐄

Oct 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
milestone, free for 8 cameras or less
synology surveillance station

i'm not a huge fan of surveillance station, but it is much better than BI, imo.
well i have 20TB of synology space but no way of importing the nest stream in there since it doesent support RTSP

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
Works fine for me :dunno:

had nothing but issues with it. i added 4 cameras to BI and the entire interface froze. same computer, installed a professional VMS package (avigilon) added 16 cameras, no issues.

i will say this, comparing those two software packages is not apples to apples. i guess BI is good for what you pay for it, but if i can't use it, it doesn't do my any good.

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
well i have 20TB of synology space but no way of importing the nest stream in there since it doesent support RTSP

right, no RTSP. at least unifi cameras offer RTSP which means i can still use the unifi cameras if/when they kill off unifi protect.

TS
TS
phat🐄

phat🐄

Oct 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I guess. I'll pay for some services but in general subscription software is just a scam to charge customers more. See: Adobe. Besides, uploading eight 1080p streams 24/7 would swamp my Internet connection.

im sorry i dont know what bandwidth limitations are since im part of #gigabitCrew

mdaniel

S is for Shiksa
May 6, 2000
NW Mejicooooooo
had nothing but issues with it. i added 4 cameras to BI and the entire interface froze. same computer, installed a professional VMS package (avigilon) added 16 cameras, no issues.

i will say this, comparing those two software packages is not apples to apples. i guess BI is good for what you pay for it, but if i can't use it, it doesn't do my any good.

I'm running 9 1080p streams to a 6th Gen i5 refurb Optiplex. It runs for months at a time until Windows overrides my attempts to forestall rebooting and finally does it.

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
I'm running 9 1080p streams to a 6th Gen i5 refurb Optiplex. It runs for months at a time until Windows finally overrides my attempts to forestall rebooting and finally does it.

yeah, not sure what my issue was, i looked at their hardware requirements and went above and beyond. like i said, i have 16 cameras running in a professional VMS software deployment and it didn't lock up like BI did. this was also a long time ago, before BI updated their software.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan