ENT Netflix’s Cyberpunk: Edgerunners anime (CD Projekt Red and Studio Trigger collab). Coming September 13.

Tiny Dancer

OT Supporter
May 6, 2016
Watched a few episodes. It's fine.

There's a lot of violence and they're playing up the braindances/sex and emptiness of life in a big way.
Overall it's kinda depressing.

TS
TS
baboymo

baboymo

Have you been circumcised?
Nov 15, 2000
Bay Area, CA
I mean…if I want my cyberpunk anime fix I’ll watch Bubblegum Crisis, Ghost in the Shell, or Cyber City: Oedo. :o

Tiny Dancer

OT Supporter
May 6, 2016
That's the point dummy
I know. Everything makes me sad tho. Such a downer.

I want the tech to develop and improve the lives of people.

The entire bit about the mom working for the actual medical corpo and have zero consideration and how her life and death played out was all too real.

• Sad
Reactions: lowfat

SCirone

Aug 18, 2004
Show was fantastic

ending was incredibly depressing though

Tiny Dancer

OT Supporter
May 6, 2016
The game was depressing af too tho.
Yeah.
To the point where there was no point. V didn’t fix anything, but at the same time didn’t really attempt to either.

I like my good guys/bad guys and play the hero games. The more games that come out with illusion of choice and large scale worlds, the more disappointing those games are. I wanted to be a white hat and ended up just another whore thug.

Reactions: lowfat

the_antsy_honda

This is the story of a little ship...
Dec 17, 2001
California
Yeah.
To the point where there was no point. V didn’t fix anything, but at the same time didn’t really attempt to either.

I like my good guys/bad guys and play the hero games. The more games that come out with illusion of choice and large scale worlds, the more disappointing those games are. I wanted to be a white hat and ended up just another whore thug.
it's all a lot of existentialism. It's about how you die. They all try to find a reason to live in a world that has makes it so easy to give up. It wasn't about fixing the world, saving the day, or any grand scheme. It was about V finding a reason to keep living, and how you choose to die. I think Lucy said said something like that in the end of episode 4. That's an all too real theme but very relevant. That encompasses all of the character of Johnny.

tempus

Going quietly insane.
OT Supporter
Feb 25, 2004
Metrowest
Strong AD Police Files vibes. Enjoyed watching it, though would love follow on seasons that explore other life paths.

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
Hideo Kohima approved…100/98% on Rotten Tomatoes.

BEST series of 2022.
We'll see, Chainsaw Man still has to release and Mob Psycho S3 is coming out next month.

Don't get me wrong, I fucking loved Edgerunners and Rebecca is best girl but it's too early to call it just yet. :o

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
it's all a lot of existentialism. It's about how you die. They all try to find a reason to live in a world that has makes it so easy to give up. It wasn't about fixing the world, saving the day, or any grand scheme. It was about V finding a reason to keep living, and how you choose to die. I think Lucy said said something like that in the end of episode 4. That's an all too real theme but very relevant. That encompasses all of the character of Johnny.
Weirdly enough there's another show like that running right now that's way more "cutesy" called Lycoris Recoil.

Funny that it's basically low cyberpunk with its aesthetics but it maintains this thin veneer of being sweet and wholesome while there's some truly awful things happening in the background.

In any other year that show would probably be up towards the top, but this season we have some true fucking heavy hitters with shows like Edgerunners, Call of the Night (DO NOT SLEEP ON THIS ONE), Summer Time Rendering (DO NOT SLEEP ON THIS ONE EITHER), and coming out next month will be Chainsaw Man, Mob Psycho 100, and The Witch from Mercury. All three of those looking to be top notch. :wackit:

Reactions: the_antsy_honda

TheEvil1

Hell is other people
OT Supporter
Jul 4, 2003
WNY
We'll see, Chainsaw Man still has to release and Mob Psycho S3 is coming out next month.

Don't get me wrong, I fucking loved Edgerunners and Rebecca is best girl but it's too early to call it just yet. :o
IDK itll be hard to top season 2 of Made in Abyss for me this year

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
I know. Everything makes me sad tho. Such a downer.

I want the tech to develop and improve the lives of people.

The entire bit about the mom working for the actual medical corpo and have zero consideration and how her life and death played out was all too real.
It gets worse when you realize that she was probably intentionally killed by the back alley doctors so they could harvest/sell her organs and chrome when they investigated and found out she really didn't have insurance, only had David as her next of kin, and no one would ever go looking into her.

TheEvil1

Hell is other people
OT Supporter
Jul 4, 2003
WNY
Weirdly enough there's another show like that running right now that's way more "cutesy" called Lycoris Recoil.

Funny that it's basically low cyberpunk with its aesthetics but it maintains this thin veneer of being sweet and wholesome while there's some truly awful things happening in the background.

In any other year that show would probably be up towards the top, but this season we have some true fucking heavy hitters with shows like Edgerunners, Call of the Night (DO NOT SLEEP ON THIS ONE), Summer Time Rendering (DO NOT SLEEP ON THIS ONE EITHER), and coming out next month will be Chainsaw Man, Mob Psycho 100, and The Witch from Mercury. All three of those looking to be top notch. :wackit:
i agree with all of these

Lycosis has been excellent for an original story.

you are forgetting Made in Abyss Season 2 , Overlord S4, Spy X fam S2 (fall), Bleach (fall) - assuming you watched the other part of it, and The Eminence in Shadow (fall)

Reactions: amalgamas

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
i agree with all of these

Lycosis has been excellent for an original story.

you are forgetting Made in Abyss Season 2 , Overlord S4, Spy X fam S2 (fall), Bleach (fall) - assuming you watched the other part of it, and The Eminence in Shadow (fall)
Eminence in Shadow will be fun but I don't see it being a true heavy hitter like the rest in that list if I'm honest. Mostly cause isekai and comedy, even if I like them, seldom ever do. :o

Overlord S4 has been good but it's still not stacking up to S1 and 2 in my eyes in terms of quality, and that one I've actually read the LN for, the best thing I can say about it is that they've DEFINITELY learned not to cut corners like they did with S3.

I'm full bore and into the abyss for Spy X Fam pt 2 of season 1 (not technically a second season, just the second cour of the first season), they're getting into the good good shit now. :run:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman