ENT Netflix’s Cyberpunk: Edgerunners anime (CD Projekt Red and Studio Trigger collab). Coming September 13.

the_antsy_honda

Sir, I protest...
Dec 17, 2001
California
FINE. V v.2.0
aKxxglj.jpg
I played through 100% and had zero motivation to play it again.

ORLY

Ron

OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2003
Any other recs of limited series anime?

Really liked this and devil man crybaby

Felt kind similar

Matren

Don't worry about me, jerkoff.
Oct 4, 2001
New Albany, IN
1663678298641.png

Wtf are the dudes up in the upper corners? Left looks like its going for Padre, but he doesn't look like that with the tattoo, cross on his forehead, or hair color. Shot was messing with my head because Dakota and Regina are backwards, my dumbass wasn't taking it into account that we are looking through the back of the "screen" :rofl:

Matren

Oct 4, 2001
New Albany, IN
lol, accidentally found this

My brother in Christ, the subtitles are perfectly fine... if you watch it in English. What's wrong is the Japanese :rofl:

Matren

Oct 4, 2001
New Albany, IN
one of the comments is right, I miss fansubs. I remember Naruto and Bleach fansubs having notes on cultural jokes that english speakers wouldn't get. Also fubsubbers weren't lazy dicks and would put up subtitles for songs

Matren

Oct 4, 2001
New Albany, IN
Except it's not even verbatim. A lot of the subtitle was straight up wrong from what the dub was saying. For example when the Ripperdoc called Adam "a living legend, a skinny one." What does a skinny one even mean? It's suppose to be "ask anyone." There's errors like this riddle all over the show. It's like they threw the English dub into a speech-to-text. It really is just lazy.

OK, the subtitles must have been off or something for the first few days or something, I just watched that episode and it comes up right, not like that STT garbage like this dude said five days ago.

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
one of the comments is right, I miss fansubs. I remember Naruto and Bleach fansubs having notes on cultural jokes that english speakers wouldn't get. Also fubsubbers weren't lazy dicks and would put up subtitles for songs
This is straight up why I couldn't watch Komi Can't Communicate on netflix, cause the problem is more than half of the show is conveyed through kanji and netflix literally WAS NOT SUBBING IT

Even in the dubbed version they weren't fucking subbing it.

Instead it was up to the fansubbers to do it.

I mean look at this shit, here's the Netflix "sub"

1663680784386.png
1663680962851.png

and here's the fansub

1663680811475.png
1663680973903.png

that is practically how every fucking episode is, and the problem is Netflix, unlike Crunchyroll or Funimation, but MUCH LIKE Disney are fucking ZEALOUS with how fast they go after fansubbers with C&D orders or straight up lawsuits.

So fansubs for Netflix and D+ shit are real hard to find in good quality. :hsd:

Reactions: the_antsy_honda

Matren

Oct 4, 2001
New Albany, IN
This is straight up why I couldn't watch Komi Can't Communicate on netflix, cause the problem is more than half of the show is conveyed through kanji and netflix literally WAS NOT SUBBING IT

Even in the dubbed version they weren't fucking subbing it.

Instead it was up to the fansubbers to do it.

I mean look at this shit, here's the Netflix "sub"

View attachment 260607
View attachment 260609

and here's the fansub

View attachment 260608
View attachment 260610

that is practically how every fucking episode is, and the problem is Netflix, unlike Crunchyroll or Funimation, but MUCH LIKE Disney are fucking ZEALOUS with how fast they go after fansubbers with C&D orders or straight up lawsuits.

So fansubs for Netflix and D+ shit are real hard to find in good quality. :hsd:
One of the comments brought this anime up :rofl: Jesus thats fucking pathetic for not translating that shit

Reactions: firemunki

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
One of the comments brought this anime up :rofl: Jesus thats fucking pathetic for not translating that shit
It's because of how netflix handles subs, they basically just give an audio file to someone who's going to try and translate it, usually poorly, and then they give a text file over to the team in an .stl format with time stamps that they just add to the video file.

They do this a number of times for each of the different languages they want to sub it in.

The issue with something like Komi-san and to a lesser degree Edgerunners is that to get everything right the audio subbing is just part of the equation, cause they're going to have to watch the episode, get still images of every bit of text on screen, and work with an editor to get the timing right for when it should be and where it should be located on the screen.

Quality subbing really is an artform and some of the greats from the old days sadly are gone.

There was a group that did One Piece back in the day that literally created and trademarked their own fucking fonts for each of the different attack names that characters used. Things like having Luffy's be red and rubbery looking to Robin's being flowery and dark purple.

I remember finding them around the time of the Enies Lobby arc, I think even Oda at one point called them out for how creative they were in their sub work.

Reactions: majesty

the_antsy_honda

Sir, I protest...
Dec 17, 2001
California
I would say that in this case, since the source material (the IP and game, not the anime) is English anyway, it makes sense for it to be in English. Even if they didn't get the translation from the script 100%, it doesn't break immersion like the Komi situation and it doesn't "feel weird" because the setting ins't in a Japanese high school

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
I would say that in this case, since the source material (the IP and game, not the anime) is English anyway, it makes sense for it to be in English. Even if they didn't get the translation from the script 100%, it doesn't break immersion like the Komi situation and it doesn't "feel weird" because the setting ins't in a Japanese high school
naw, can't give any of them a pass, they either have to do right by all of them or they fall to shit. That's basically how we got to where we're at now.

Enough people said "it's fine if this sub was mediocre, I'll just watch the dub", but then you run into situations where the dub is fucking awful too either because the localizers are shit or because the voice actors are just shit because western voice acting houses just keep using the same group of people over and over again even though most of them are awful.

the_antsy_honda

Sir, I protest...
Dec 17, 2001
California
naw, can't give any of them a pass, they either have to do right by all of them or they fall to shit. That's basically how we got to where we're at now.

Enough people said "it's fine if this sub was mediocre, I'll just watch the dub", but then you run into situations where the dub is fucking awful too either because the localizers are shit or because the voice actors are just shit because western voice acting houses just keep using the same group of people over and over again even though most of them are awful.
What did you watch this show in?

I always just assumed the subtitles in Netflix were the subtitles for the Englihs dub since even with my rudimentary Japanese I could spot some inconsistencies....but I kinda just let it go :o

mostly I watch on crunchyroll though but I can't speak how good their subs are.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamedali2022