New Diesel Owner

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by klintdog, Sep 4, 2004.

1. klintdog

klintdog Resident Lurker

So I decided to trade in my 2000 Ford F-150 Flareside for a 2002 F350 CrewCab Lariat today. It's got the 7.3L Powerstroke in it. This is going to be the first diesel I've ever owned and I'm wondering what to expect. What are some things I should be watching for? I'm up in ND so it's going to start getting cold here in about a month or two, do I need to worry about this thing geling on me or are the new PS's better at that? Any input would be appreciated!

2. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

ummm lets see. Use a fuel additive when you fill up. It should not only protect against gelling, but it lubricates the injection pump and stuff as well. Im not sure just how cold it gets there in ND. Maybe you could stop by a diesel mechanic shop and see what he thinks, I live in New Mexico. Maybe get a pyrometer (egt guage) and a boost guage. Not only are they cool but they help you see whats going on. If you get the EGT up to 11-1200 then let off... Also just be nice when its cold, dont romp on it til its up to temperature. Always let it cool down too. If you were just out romping around on it, make sure to let it idle for a couple of minutes before you shut it off.

3. austynn2001

austynn2001 Guest

4. Error

Error ¿ti†le øut-of_order

More importantly it allows more oil to pass through and cool it off a little so it doesn't coke inside. You don't want to stop a turbo with hot oil in it. The extra 30-60 seconds could knock down a few hundred degrees, and save your turbo big time.

5. BrainX

BrainX Guest

Ive owned a Dodge With a cummins in it since 97.. I love it and would get another if i could... I have 140,000 miles on it .One of the only problem i had with the motor is the fuel pump... That brings me to my point... USE THE ADDITIVE... It helps keep the fuel system clean and lubricated... I also have had problems with idaling due to not useing the additive.. the winter fuel seems to clog it up and causes it to stall.... Mine has a plug in... It keeps teh water up to a safe temp... I always plug it in just so it comes up to operating temp faster... Its better on everything..Good luck youre going to love it..

6. travisdb

travisdb What do you wanna do?

Dont you just love the sound of that Turbo.

7. Kane

Kane Guest

What additive would that be? Brand names? Where to get them? TIA

8. Kane

Kane Guest

Yes!

9. Kane

Kane Guest