New Macbook Pro 17

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I'm getting a new MacBook Pro 17 with 2GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HD, and a USB modem for the road. $3,148 on the website. I presume it will cost the same at the store.

Now, I am gonna want/need it immediately. I have a $1000 Apple credit card I'm putting part of it on. Should/can I go to the store to get it same day with RAM installed? I mean I can put the ram in myself, I don't care.

And I'm gonna wait and get the AppleCare at the end of year 1, since its under warranty anyway.

I just thought I'd share. I need this fucking thing. I can't work on a 12" anymore.

I'm gonna try to fit a small distro of gentoo on like 10GB for development, a small XP partition on 10GB for one game at a time, and the rest for teh OS X. Have to look into whats involved in tri-booting.

2. JaJae

JaJae New Member

First you're already wasting your money by buying an Apple, why in the world would you pay their insane prices even further on something as simple as a memory upgrade?

They want $300 to upgrade a part that you can get from newegg for well under $100. Get it overnighted if you need it fast.

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Because I don't want to have to worry about the memory malfunctioning ;)

4. samm

samm Next in Line

They only stock base model machines in the stores, memory upgrades are usually a BTO option.

good choice on the 17" mbp, I am envious as my 17" 1 GHz G4 is starting to show its age...

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you bought corsair/crucial then you wouldn't have to worry about that ;)

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

What store brand... say microcenter or Fry's, would I buy to replace what Apple would sell me in a 1 gig expansion? Corser/Crusair is $100 for 1 gig?

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Buy Corsair RAM and be done with it. It's good stuff.

EDIT: Heh. I guess Jolly beat me to the punch.

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Okay, I'll buy some of that.

10. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Crucial is guaranteed to work. Corsair shouldn't be a problem. Buy either of those brands and your memory will be better than whatever crap they put in the Macbook to start.

11. SLED

SLED custom title

I love my 15" mbp. 17" was just a little too much laptop for what I want to cart around every day. Mine came w/ 1gb and I am going to buy an additional 1gb as well.

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Dude, have you seen the Dell XPS gaming lappies? My friend has one; it's a fucking paving stone.

13. SLED

SLED custom title

:werd:

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

This thing has some problems with sleep mode. This is strange, as the Mac instant unsleep is... the best feature a mac has. I've never seen a PC power up after sleep instantly like a Mac does. If it keeps having issues, I'm going to return it for a replacement. It sometimes powers down when closed. It has rebooted randomly several times, and it doesn't unsleep quickly if you open it after closing it within 10-20 seconds.

It may be best to wait a while before going with a Macbook, guys. There are definately some early production issues.

I'm about to point and click and buy another GB of RAM. God knows OS X can use it :)

15. SLED

SLED custom title

dude, i have had ZERO issues with mine so far. It's possible that you picked up an earlier generation one. Sleep mode on mine works great, flawless. I'm also running Parallels with only an XP v-machine right now, but it also runs great. I would definately return yours for a new one.

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Hmmmm...

I'm going to take it back tomorrow anyway just so they can resell it to me, but this time I buy the $99/$99 rebate printer/scanner I didn't think I could afford a few days ago. Maybe I'll exchange if its still acting up.

17. SLED

SLED custom title

yea, good luck with exchanging it... where did you buy it from? most places, if you have the same problem/complaint 3 or more times, will give you store credit or a replacement. I hope you bought a warrenty.

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

The Apple Store. I had to, to use the Apple Credit Card for $1000 of it. No interest for 90 days.

19. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

Are you enjoying your defective laptop? I saw many Mac fanboy sites that said that its not worth buying a MacBook (Pro) within the next year, until they sort out all the problems.