ART New to OTAP and going to buy a camera on monday

fixmefixmyhead

Dec 6, 2004
Long Island, NY
I'm the type of person who does a ton of my own research before making any major purchase. I'm in the Army and leaving for a deployment at the end of the year. I'm in aviation and want to take up photographing aircraft and such while I'm there to kill downtime.

Cameras I've been looking at are the d3100 and the T2i. I don't want to start a Nikon vs Canon war. I'm not going to spend more than $1k to start out just incase its not something I end up loving.

I'm guessing I am going to need a lens capable of 300mm to get decent pics of incoming and outgoing aircraft?

I have been seeing kits on ebay that seem appealing to me and actually are sold by a local camera store Cameta Camera.

I'm gonna link a couple and tell me if I'm making a mistake.

I was also thinking of maybe getting a body only, a long zoom, and a prime lens... if that is in my budget. If it is recommend me lenses please.

Also what about Tamron 70-300 vs Nikkor 55-300 VR?

psykosis

Had dinner w/ Inspector Seb, we're basically bff's
Oct 31, 2001
Listing between sin and salvation
I've only recently switched to Nikon, so I can really only speak on Canon used stuff. i don't know what you are shooting, but I'd suggest a 40D, a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or 28-75 f2.8, and a 430EX II flash. That's a very simple and basic setup that should serve you well for a couple years at least. If you like the hobby, then you can grab some other glass as you find a need for it. If you don't like it, you can sell your stuff for close to what you paid for it if you go with used stuff.

jigelow

Dec 16, 2010
I've only recently switched to Nikon, so I can really only speak on Canon used stuff. i don't know what you are shooting, but I'd suggest a 40D, a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or 28-75 f2.8, and a 430EX II flash. That's a very simple and basic setup that should serve you well for a couple years at least. If you like the hobby, then you can grab some other glass as you find a need for it. If you don't like it, you can sell your stuff for close to what you paid for it if you go with used stuff.

He needs telephoto for ze aeroplanes.

Wobistdu

if you look at cameras like the 3000, 3100, 5000... they are all entry level. d90 is midlevel

same with the rebels vs a 50d, 60d

lots of external controls
top lcd
internal focusing motor
commander mode for speedlights
etc etc

MSIGuy

om nom nom nom!
May 30, 2005
or you could educate him instead of being a whiny bitch
See? SEE? :rofl:

Chill l33t. The D90 is a better camera than a D3100, unless you need to buy new (they're getting harder to find), want a warranty, need a smaller more compact camera, ect.

jigelow

Dec 16, 2010
I'd reccomend the Tamron 70-300 over the Nikon 55-300 any day. The Tamron, IMO, is much better built. It also has a longer warranty, and lower price.

I stick with my 70-300 VR suggestion. It'll outperform them both and he can find one used in the upper 3xx

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan