ENT New year, new music

Charlie

omghi2u
OT Supporter
Jan 2, 2005
Atlanta
@Grape_Ape

Guwop seems to be able to keep recruiting new guys to 1017 after the other ones keep getting bids. I know bigwalkdog is already 1017 but the other guy is new.

KGB ate my bread

nͫiͤcͫeͤnͫiͤcͫeͤnͫiͤcͫeͤnͫiͤcͫeͤ
OT Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Louisiana
De Lux's Do You Need a Release? dropped today, will be listening to it :wiggle:

On De Lux’s first two albums the duo tackled the innocence of youth and generational anxiety. More Disco Songs About Love flipped the switch to create an ambitious party record not about youthful musings and insecurity, but reflection and gratitude for the things and people they love. This go-around Sean and Isaac are still funny and profound and their sound remains easy to groove to, but the band is more influenced by the fun 80’s new wave of the Tom Tom Club and the experimentation and imagery of The Clash’s “Sandinista!” than cerebral DFA era disco

Do You Need A Release? Is De Lux at their poppiest, their prettiest, danciest, but also their most abrasive. The record is built on an uncomfortable bed of tension which when released is immediately satisfying in unpredictable and surprising ways. The verses often pummel you with aggressive beats and grooves only to blossom into open, encouraging, and even angelic refrains. Or the other way around, like in “New Summers”, where the choruses don’t resolve and the drums are a never ending build up that disorients you—reminding you that summer will never be the same again. Similarly on the title track, a relentless glitch of a guitar chord repeats over a drum beat that sounds like it’s trying to break into your house. .

Last edited:

KGB ate my bread

OT Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Louisiana
Sounds interesting, never heard of em tho lol
I'd made a playlist of music from a vice TV show I'd liked (king of the road) and after hearing 'em come up in said playlist, had started to give them a listening. Have heard one or two of their songs on the local college radio too.

Their first album is pretty solid IMO.

Def get some talking heads vibes from the singer's vocals/lyrics (he has David Byrne~ vibes), sound is very much 80s/new wave/disco. I'd say other groups that I'd maybe give some comparisons to would be Empire of the Sun for just the pop sound and some of the vocally bits

I follow the label they're (Innovative Leisure) on YT and regularly post some music from it since it's always more off the wall/indie stuff

Last edited:

KGB ate my bread

OT Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Louisiana
oh shit, so I noticed yesterday that OT seemed to embed the whole bandcamp album, and sure enough, we now have bandcamp support on OT!

I'm currently not logged into my account but from this thread it'll let me listen to full songs and seemingly/assumingly full albums.

Very. Fucking. Cool.

KGB ate my bread

OT Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Louisiana

and as part of my goal to buy more music that I listen to regularly, I'm grabbing this absolute winner of an album :wiggle:

Advance Base is the solo project of Chicago, IL singer/songwriter Owen Ashworth (formerly of Casiotone for the Painfully Alone).

Using a two-handed arsenal of electric piano, Omnichord, samplers, effect pedals & drum machines, Ashworth builds minimalist, heavy-hearted, & nostalgia-obsessed ballads around his conversational baritone. The warm, electronic sound of Advance Base has been described as "lo-fi," "depressed" & "weirdly uplifting."

• Love
Reactions: Ron

nine

OT Supporter
Jun 23, 2004
so. cal.
i respect the hell out of them and their talent, but i can't understand how they got as popular as they did. its like 6 minutes of a dream theater interlude that goes nowhere.
I dunno, I love this shit. I guess I can see how some people might just hear a bunch of noise and random notes.

Saw them live last month and it was awesome.

MiseryIndex

open your eyes child, your sea is changing.
Nov 9, 2000
heaven's fence.
I dunno, I love this shit. I guess I can see how some people might just hear a bunch of noise and random notes.

Saw them live last month and it was awesome.

i think i saw them with btbam. but i guess i feel the same way about animals as leaders. the only instrumental shit i love love is the post-rock ambient kind (this will destroy you, mogwai, etc)

Charlie

omghi2u
OT Supporter
Jan 2, 2005
Atlanta
i respect the hell out of them and their talent, but i can't understand how they got as popular as they did. its like 6 minutes of a dream theater interlude that goes nowhere.
Seems like just a different play on jamming like Allman Bros band used to do for example or phish or grateful dead. Other than it has no song around it at all.

MiseryIndex

open your eyes child, your sea is changing.
Nov 9, 2000
heaven's fence.
i hope the rest of the paramore album isn't like the single. idk why they'd come back from the dead to make pop music that sounds more like her solo work, and nothing like paramore, other than the money :o

nine

OT Supporter
Jun 23, 2004
so. cal.
i hope the rest of the paramore album isn't like the single. idk why they'd come back from the dead to make pop music that sounds more like her solo work, and nothing like paramore, other than the money :o
Weird to come out of the gate with that song if the others sound way different.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman