New York Tenant Laws have become untenable.

I-am-Ryan

OT Supporter
Aug 28, 2002
This is my Watertown, New York house. I bought this house in 2008 when I got assigned to Fort Drum. This house was built in 1878 by a guy name William Haley. He still lives in the house and if you don't keep the house clean or you fuck it up, he haunts you. (true story).

The rest of the story is that after I moved out in 2012, I had two incredible tenants back to back for six years. Then in 2019 it went to shit.

Some backstory.
https://xerq.io/threads/774883-The-HUD-tenant-experiment-lasted-exactly-1-5-months?highlight=
https://xerq.io/threads/776987-HOLY-SHIT-BROSKIS?highlight=

Rented to some Soldiers, they lasted about four months and in that time they managed to fuck the house up far worse. Even calls to their O-5 commander couldn't fix it (we were Majors together) So, they abandoned the house in November - signed with a contractor in mid-december to renovate the house. He started after New Years. $27,000 later...

Just one before pictures...just to give you an idea. The rest are after pictures. House is currently listed here:
http://northstarnny.net/homes-for-sale-details/630-GOTHAM-STREET-WATERTOWN-NY-13601/S1315477/99/

This is the shit I was left with from the Soldiers:
R38yoH0.jpg

Through out the whole house they randomly painted rooms, trim with the most horrible colors. They completely fucked the house up. They locked dogs in rooms and just let them randomly shit anywhere and it took 3 days just clean the house up to even begin to start work.

Luckily I found a motivated contractor that is looking to make a name for himself in town (just returned home after working for years on the other side of the state). He's really saved my ass. I almost just gave up the house to take the foreclosure. Between a family relative and him, I can now reasonably expect to sell the house now.

Looking through Living Room into the Front Office (4th Bedroom)
yBlMkJG.jpg

Looking from Front Office to Front Staircase:
kcGcFfk.jpg

Looking down Living Room (office to the left, Main Floor Bathroom w/ Shower on right at the end)
3WWSgKB.jpg

Front Office Before:
Glyym4Y.png

Front Office After:
3LO4rxt.jpg

Upstairs Bedroom 1 (bigger bedroom) flooring after:
myyffXh.jpg

Upstairs Bedroom 1 Paint & Flooring:
cSKNX2v.jpg

Master Bedroom w/ Sitting Room and Master Bath on far end:
DWIuOmC.jpg

Front Doorway Before:
n6DSw6U.png

Front Staircase w/ Repaired & Refinished Front Door:
p0RczQ1.jpg

Ceilings Before:
rQrloM9.png

Ceilings After:
s02eDOA.jpg

Master Bathroom (I built this myself in 2010) - just cleaned & freshly painted.
ieOix0q.jpg

Upstairs Hallway:
xzyGqxr.jpg

The kitchen ain't anything special. But it's cleaned now - any potential buyer is free to do what they want with it.
0F2cx65.jpg

Dining Room Before:
End8tHy.png

Dining Room After:
4IUGQ3D.jpg

Anyhow...just over a month and a ton of work and renovations put into the house. Repaired things such as main air returns - they were old, improperly placed and were pre-forced air. At one point (in the 80s or 90s) the house was split into a downstairs and an upstairs apartment. It had two electric services. The house service panel was an old 100a panel. That's now been combined into a single service and updated brand new panel. All the old two plug sockets were removed and replaced with modern grounded sockets. Etc Etc Etc. It seems like everytime we turned around we found something new to fix to bring it up to code.

Let's recap:
- 5 different types of wood flooring before. All brand new commercial grade wood flooring (one style!) through out.
- Fucked up druggie paint, all rooms, closets, trim and ceilings caulked, primed, and painted.
- Two Staircases (front and back)
- Upstairs and basement laundry hookups
- 2300 sq ft
- 3 or 4 bedrooms
- 3 full baths

I think that's about it. This has been my adventure over the last month. Since this thread has name all over it, if you want to know my name just ask and I'll tell you. No need to try and dox me. Also cross posted from other forums.

TS
TS
I-am-Ryan

I-am-Ryan

OT Supporter
Aug 28, 2002
first

edit: looks mad better tbh. believing in ghosts tho :yikes:

I moved the same amount as before I joined the army that I moved over 20yrs in the army. I’ve move 5 times since retiring and this is the only house I had paranormal experiences in. Right, wrong or indifferent, just stating my experiences.

Reactions: FDT
TS
TS
I-am-Ryan

I-am-Ryan

OT Supporter
Aug 28, 2002
WTf do tenant laws have to do with any of this?

you can no longer charge an application fee more than $20
You can no longer charger more than one month’s rent as deposit
You can no longer ask for first and last months rent if you ask for a deposit
You can no longer use credit history as application decision
Evictions are near impossible for out of state landlords
Small claims court decisions are impossible for out of state landlords

Reactions: alex

melroy

wonderin how many people ITT have been meditating
Apr 1, 2018
Good.

TS
TS
I-am-Ryan

I-am-Ryan

OT Supporter
Aug 28, 2002
Guys! I was making good money for six years and now I’ve had one bad thing happen that set me back a little bit so the legal system sucks and I’m a goober
I never made more than mortgage. Good try troll.

Devastator

OT Supporter
Jul 11, 2009
NYC
Fuck tenants then, AIrBNB that shiiiit.

Highlander_77

Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!!!
Dec 7, 2000
New England

Aside from the last two which I would need more details about, I don't see the problem here.

melroy

wonderin how many people ITT have been meditating
Apr 1, 2018
If you owned a property, if you were worth more than 34 cents you’d understand but you don’t. When a tenant moves in and causes $10k of damage to the house you loved, you worked tirelessly on, this is what you are left with.
I’m sure but it’s no excuse to change the laws, those laws are for a reason and if the sacrifice has to stand on the land owners shoulders rather than the poor and marginalized (generally who some of these laws are trying to protect) then so be it. Tough luck. Get out of the business or plan for it. I do understand being upset about it though.

TS
TS
I-am-Ryan

I-am-Ryan

OT Supporter
Aug 28, 2002
I’m sure but it’s no excuse to change the laws, those laws are for a reason and if the sacrifice has to stand on the land owners shoulders rather than the poor and marginalized (generally who some of these laws are trying to protect) then so be it. Tough luck. Get out of the business or plan for it. I do understand being upset about it though.
“Hey I understand you’re upset this CUNT caused $10k of damage to your treasured possession, but you’re a landowner and she’s a cunt that fucked her way into poverty so you should understand how she became marginalized by pumping out 10 kids”

Reactions: Bugalu

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thetongue