ART Next step up from XTi?

Boudreaux

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2002
DFW, Texas
My XTi got stolen as some of you may remember.

I'm looking at replacing it, and was toying with the idea of getting the next step up from an XTi for a DSLR, used of course.

But i honestly don't know which one that would be.

BabelJoat

Mar 21, 2008
the dpreview review of the 50d lists all the diferences

the main ones seem to be 15 mp, Digic IV, higher resolution lcd, and lens microadjustment

ericande

Feb 9, 2007
Whats the difference between the 40D & 50D and is it worth the price difference?

More megapixels (meh,) allegedly better construction, supposed increased high ISO ability. The thing I like most about the 50D vs the 40D is the rear LCD. Once you get used to the new VGA LCDs you can't go back. I think the price difference is worth it if you have neither but it isn't worth upgrading to the 50D from the 40D.

GregFarz78

Oct 28, 2002
Philly, PA
I talked to someone that just got a 50D and he was very disappointed with it he ended up returning it told me stick with a used 30D/40D :dunno:

Smeghead

Oct 6, 2006
Klingonlandia
More megapixels (meh,) allegedly better construction, supposed increased high ISO ability. The thing I like most about the 50D vs the 40D is the rear LCD. Once you get used to the new VGA LCDs you can't go back. I think the price difference is worth it if you have neither but it isn't worth upgrading to the 50D from the 40D.
Hmm, I'd prolly go for the 40D cause the price difference is pretty big over here :dunno:

Smeghead

Oct 6, 2006
Klingonlandia
Outtakes from DPREVIEW's conclusion.
DPREVIEW.com said:
Conclusion - Cons
  • High ISO performance worse than 40D
  • Reduced dynamic range in the shadow areas compared to EOS 40D
  • Live view not as accurate as on 40D (framing very slightly off-center, in contrast detect AF mode not possible to magnify right out to the extreme corners)
We're by no means saying the 50Ds image quality is bad but it's simply not significantly better than the ten megapixel 40D. In some areas such as dynamic range and high ISO performance it's actually worse and that simply makes you wonder if the EOS 50D could have been an (even) better camera if its sensor had a slightly more moderate resolution.
Def. go with the 40D.

MSIGuy

om nom nom nom!
May 30, 2005
Get a used 40d. I went from XTi to 40d during the canon rebates. Pisses me off that I paid $1000 for a camera, and now it's like $650... Great camera though.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan