ART Nikon D lenses focusing accuracy

CornUponCob

Oct 3, 2001
After having shot my first "event" since switching to Nikon (everything else has been sports) I'm not too pleased with the focusing accuracy of the 28mm 2.8 (picked it up for $125. . . I needed something wide on short notice) or the 50mm 1.4.

Both tend to miss very badly on objects more than about 8 or 9 feet away. I'll very clearly focus on a high contrast area on the foreground object, yet when I look at the pictures later, I find that it has focused on something in the background (especially with the 28mm).

I've heard that the 50G is better. Any tips on this?

This isn't an issue of micro-adjustment either. When they do focus correctly, it's fairly accurate.

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
My 35L has this issue. up close, it's spot on and super0quick

but further than about 7 or 8', it misses almost all the time :/

Girth

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OT Supporter
Jun 28, 2002
Houston
50 sucks, can't speak about the 28. I know I had to dial my 70-200 in when I first got it, but I've had no issues with the 14-24, 85 1.4, or the new 35 1.4. Tack sharp out od the box with no in camera adjusting needed.

derekOT

Feb 9, 2009
Calgary, AB
oh wow, I thought this was a Canon problem

my 50 1.4 does this really badly, It can't focus on anything farther than a few feet

in close it works great and it is actually decently sharp at f/2

I was really hoping the nikon version was better, but I guess I'll have to avoid that too if if/when I do switch

sniper0423

Jan 2, 2007
Dallas
I have yet to have a problem with focus issues on my 28 or my 50 1.4 on either my D50, D300s or D3:dunno:

Try shooting a test distance with a static scene (aim for green light confirmation).
Check results (it may be the body)
???
Profit or not?

isaac86hatch

This thread sucks
Oct 3, 2005
Oregon
Every D/G nikon lens I own—including my 15 year-old 180mm F2.8—is dead accurate. If I could have said the same for my Canon gear I'd still be a canon user.

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
The 28mm is a fantastically accurate lens. I use it exclusively for street photography where I don't even look through the viewfinder. I have no idea what your problems could be here. :dunno:

bPJCL.jpg

73Lyw.jpg

A0Mi7.jpg

Last edited:

jigelow

Dec 16, 2010
Very cool shots, Luke. No worries of it getting wet or was it covered with something?

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
Maybe it's my shooting style, my camera settings, etc., but I have never had focusing issues with any lens I own or have used. :dunno:
maybe personal tolerances

for a while i was obsessed with sharpness

now i just shoot.

jigelow

Dec 16, 2010
Nope. Just an unreasonable amount of trust in Nikon's weathersealing. :o

:lol: I knew the body was weather sealed, but I would've worried about the lens. Worked out. That first on is a really great street shot. It's not something you see too often with that amount of rain. The others are no slouch, either.

xenon supra

OT Supporter
Feb 3, 2005
San Diego, CA
In response to Sam, I have found the Nikon D lenses to be less accurate and consistent than the G lenses.

But I've never experienced one as bad as what you are describing. Did you try using it again in a more relaxed environment where you had time to compose & check your focus point before shooting? Maybe it just takes some getting used to.

What I think might be happening is that the lens is not focusing at all. With some D lenses I've found that it won't notice small adjustments to focus. If I want to change my focus from something 6ft away to something 6.5ft away, I sometimes need to focus on something far away and then come back and refocus on my subject.

I'd try some controlled tests.

Why haven't you bought the 14-24 yet? What is wrong with you?

TS
TS
CornUponCob

CornUponCob

Oct 3, 2001
In response to Sam, I have found the Nikon D lenses to be less accurate and consistent than the G lenses.

But I've never experienced one as bad as what you are describing. Did you try using it again in a more relaxed environment where you had time to compose & check your focus point before shooting? Maybe it just takes some getting used to.

What I think might be happening is that the lens is not focusing at all. With some D lenses I've found that it won't notice small adjustments to focus. If I want to change my focus from something 6ft away to something 6.5ft away, I sometimes need to focus on something far away and then come back and refocus on my subject.

I'd try some controlled tests.

Why haven't you bought the 14-24 yet? What is wrong with you?

I'm not sure if I'll ever get the 14-24 heh. I'm kinda past the "shooting for fun" phase and all I really care about these days is getting paid (and not dropping money on lenses). For what I shoot, 20mm is probably as wide as I'll ever need. 28 will do for now.

You're probably right in that the lens just isn't focusing. If I shoot one subject at 10 feet, then turn and shoot another subject at 18 feet, I don't think it's refocusing on the 18 foot subject. I think it needs to focus close, then far again.

Even in AI-servo it seems like there's a long delay before body body notices "hey, the subject distance has moved. . . I guess I should change focus". With the Sigma 120-300 focus accuracy and tracking works well.

I did have some issues with Canon wide angle lenses at longer subject distances as well. Based on the way focusing systems work, I wouldn't expect wide angle lenses to focus well on distance subjects.

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
The 28mm is a fantastically accurate lens. I use it exclusively for street photography where I don't even look through the viewfinder. I have no idea what your problems could be here. :dunno:

bPJCL.jpg

73Lyw.jpg

these are fucking sick..... :bowdown:

Your work is always solid, but jesus... These are amazing. Nice work.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan