GAME Nintendo hacked v M$ is next

FunkyMunniez

Mar 15, 2008
Nintendo confirmed yesterday the company was a victim of a cyber attack.

The Associate Press reports Nintendo's U.S. server was accessed by hackers, but no data was stolen. "There were no third-party victims," said Nintendo spokesman Ken Toyoda. "But it is a fact there was some kind of possible hacking attack."

It's unclear if these attacks against Nintendo are related to the recent attacks against Sony, including it Sony Pictures division last week.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1172894p1.html

No reports of lost data. Looks like nintendo takes care of their shit better than sony.

But seriously...wtf is with this shit?

WyldKat

Come with me if you want to live.
Apr 13, 2004
Indy
I dunno but I'd prefer it if they stuck to the Enrons, Fox News, and other shitbags of the world. Attacking game companies seems pretty immature and pointless.

TS
TS
FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez

Mar 15, 2008
I dunno but I'd prefer it if they stuck to the Enrons, Fox News, and other shitbags of the world. Attacking game companies seems pretty immature and pointless.
i agree but honestly with the advent of online stores for dlc games and storing credit card data and personal info, for people who are interested in identity theft its an untapped treasure trove.

Shawric

Nov 18, 2007
RaChaCha NY
i agree but honestly with the advent of online stores for dlc games and storing credit card data and personal info, for people who are interested in identity theft its an untapped treasure trove.

Yeah but stealing the identity of someone with $50 isn't worth it. They should go for the big score and steal Trump's identity. You can buy planes and shit with that.

staffer21

Who? What? I don't....
Oct 29, 2001

My understanding is that the group Anonymous went after Sony because of the way Sony went after someone that was a member of that group, and then were looking to go just as hard at people who had visited that first hackers website. I think Sony got logs for the traffic and then they started to pursue legal actions against those others. So, Anonymous just went full guns blazing after Sony.

After this started, Microsoft caught a 14 year old hacker of their system but they didn't press any charges. They instead have stated they are going to invest into this kids future and help "turn him into a good guy." I think it is two things really, I think Microsoft has a lot more experience in being the target of hackers (Obviously), and two I don't think they are the high priority target and lowered their profile by not pressing charges against this kid.

TS
TS
FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez

Mar 15, 2008
Yeah but stealing the identity of someone with $50 isn't worth it. They should go for the big score and steal Trump's identity. You can buy planes and shit with that.
the money in someones bank account isnt what they're after.

When you consider the ease that they broke into sony's servers, it makes life much easier than going after donald trumps shit, which probably has a multimillion dollar fraud policy to help him out.

Also, there are people out there that would pay a shit load of money for a huge dump of names to fuck around with. Not counting the fact that you dont need a whole lot of personal info to open up new credit cards, pay for shit online, etc etc.

Shawric

Nov 18, 2007
RaChaCha NY
the money in someones bank account isnt what they're after.

When you consider the ease that they broke into sony's servers, it makes life much easier than going after donald trumps shit, which probably has a multimillion dollar fraud policy to help him out.

Also, there are people out there that would pay a shit load of money for a huge dump of names to fuck around with. Not counting the fact that you dont need a whole lot of personal info to open up new credit cards, pay for shit online, etc etc.

Imagine the credit that Trump has though, its the big score. You get enough info then pose as a personal assistant and make large purchases in his name. It would require a team though.....

TS
TS
FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez

Mar 15, 2008
Imagine the credit that Trump has though, its the big score. You get enough info then pose as a personal assistant and make large purchases in his name. It would require a team though.....
yea but again, imagine the size of the insurance policy that he has in his name. it almost makes it worthless to attempt imo.

vitamin dew

Apr 7, 2006
Plantation, FL
its not even about money its about exposing security flaws. Going after Sony has the same impact to them as going after Fox News or some other large corporation, it's all to expose to bullshit.

TS
TS
FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez

Mar 15, 2008
its not even about money its about exposing security flaws. Going after Sony has the same impact to them as going after Fox News or some other large corporation, it's all to expose to bullshit.
for some people...yea...hacking into them is benevolent. but not everyone is like that and legitimately wants to get personal info.

Los

Oct 22, 2003
Indiana
if i knew how to hack, i'd hack just to see if i could get by undetected. i'd leave a little note like "hey! just your friendly neighborhood crack dealer swinging by to say hi... want to buy some crack?"

LIQUID

DRIVE FAST. EAT ASS.
Feb 1, 2001
Ocean side, FL
I bet they (gaming companies) get attacked all the time

we are just not hearing about it because it hasn't been to the extent that happened to Sony

JohnnyChuttz

Fucks given: 0
OT Supporter
Sep 17, 2007
Ft. Worth, TX
I looked at Trump's and his son's personnal accounts when I worked at Capital One Bank years ago. Had about 9 mil liquid in various accounts.

TS
TS
FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez

Mar 15, 2008
http://games.ign.com/articles/117/1175310p1.html

well i was wrong about M$ being next but codemasters has been hacked now too:

The personal information of thousands of people has been stolen after hackers breached British games publisher Codemasters, who recently released Dirt 3.

Names, email addresses, phone numbers, dates of birth, passwords, IP addesses and Xbox gamer tags were all taken in an attack staged on June 3.

A spokesperson for Codemasters told the BBC that they have no idea who breached the site or how many people have had their details stolen, though it would affect tens of thousands of users.

Eticket109

Nibbles, chew through my ball sack.
May 29, 2001
Springfield Retirement Castle

That would be stupid as fuck. Going after random info like the Sony hackers did is risky enough. Going after someone with that much capital is fucking dangerous.

Hans Gruber summed it up best: "Well, when you steal $600, you can just disappear. When you steal 600 million, they will find you, unless they think you're already dead."

WyldKat

Come with me if you want to live.
Apr 13, 2004
Indy
LulzSec hackers demand hats, threaten release of Brink user data
By Ben Kuchera | Published about an hour ago
The ultra-busy LulzSec hacking group claims it now has the personal data of over 200,000 users of the game Brink. "Bethesda, we broke into your site over two months ago. We've had all of your Brink users for weeks," the group wrote on Twitter. "Please fix your junk, thanks!"

The big news may be that over 200,000 people played Brink.

"We're going to release lots of Bethesda/ZeniMax data today—however we might not release their 200,000+ users as we love Call of Cthulhu," another Twitter message from the group stated. Then the group began the threats. "Bethesda, give everyone more info on Skyrim and we'll keep the user database to ourselves. However we are going to embarrass you anyway," the group wrote. They then asked for a LulzSec top hat to be added to Skyrim.

The group has been busy of late, targeting Sony, PBS, and Nintendo. As in the case of the Nintendo hack, the group seems to have targeted a company it has at least some respect for, making the threats seem all the more surreal. Luckily, unless Bethesda has access to Steam records for some reason, it's unlikely there is much information to be plundered from these records. That said, it's a good reminder of the dangers of using same password in multiple places.

Might be a good time to change your passwords if you are one of the few who bought this game. :hs:

LulzSec is just getting annoying at this point.

TS
TS
FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez

Mar 15, 2008
Might be a good time to change your passwords if you are one of the few who bought this game. :hs:

LulzSec is just getting annoying at this point.
no shit. is there even any fucking point to then hacking all these groups or are they just being fuck heads?

juvental604

I like to pee upside down
OT Supporter
Aug 15, 2006
This is why its better to keep the password you use for gaming separate from your other passwords. Even if hackers get a hold of your visa and use it to make a purchase, visa will reimburse you. So nothing really to worry about .

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor