No more Router fees from ISP

Topgun

OT Supporter
May 23, 2003
MN
I've had to fight comcast on this more than once even though I've NEVER had a modem provided by them, they kept trying to slip the modem charge on my bill. :mad:

TS
TS
El Beaner

El Beaner

Whale wrangler extraordinaire
OT Supporter
Jul 18, 2002
Dallas, TX
:wiggle:

ljXaO24l.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Firewall97
TS
TS
El Beaner

El Beaner

Whale wrangler extraordinaire
OT Supporter
Jul 18, 2002
Dallas, TX
I've had to fight comcast on this more than once even though I've NEVER had a modem provided by them, they kept trying to slip the modem charge on my bill. :mad:
Same. CenturyLink was surprisingly the easiest one I ever dealt with on this. Told them I had my own router, they sent me a box and label to return theirs and it was simple.

Ariez

OT Supporter
Jul 11, 2006
Nue Yawk
Why are people celebrating this? This is anti-american, anti capitalism.

Companies should be able to charge consumers and rip them off as much as they want. Nobody force you to use their product.

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
Cox has always tried to push their shitty router/modem "lease" on me.

Only time I've ever even had one of those things in my house was when they were testing to make sure it wasn't my Sonicwall wasn't the cause of slowness back in 2015. :o

deadbeef

OT Supporter
Sep 5, 2020
on a related note i pay for gigabit and recently realized i get about 75 down/10 up

f cable companies

Sp33dealer

Bully Troll Crew
Aug 3, 2005
DFW
Frontier wow they are terrible lol

why were you paying a rental fee this whole time? Couldn’t you have returned it when you replaced it?

Cashishift

Dec 12, 2000
Omaha, NE
Cox has always tried to push their shitty router/modem "lease" on me.

Only time I've ever even had one of those things in my house was when they were testing to make sure it wasn't my Sonicwall wasn't the cause of slowness back in 2015. :o

I made alot of money selling people new modems when I worked there, showed a rental on account.. I made up a small excel sheet breaking down the savings so I could quickly rattle it off.

Selling HBO however, was incredibly difficult, likely because I wasnt a sales person and did internet only support... in 2002.

RotorBalls

Sep 8, 2000
RBWH
Shit, I should look at my bill..just assumed I wasn't being charged

amill94

OT ELITE iirc
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
My cable company only charges you the fee if you rent their modem or their router. The shitty thing is you HAVE to use their modem/gateway for gig service to get full speeds.

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
My cable company only charges you the fee if you rent their modem or their router. The shitty thing is you HAVE to use their modem/gateway for gig service to get full speeds.

Same for AT&T and they make it REALLY difficult for you to use your own router with their gateway too. :mad:

JohnnyBeagle

Calcutta Viper
OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2004
🤣
my local fiber internet company doesn't charge me for a modem but tried adding "total tech support" or some shit like that to my bill for $19/mo
I asked what it was and they said "well if we come out to your house for a service visit and don't find anything, the support program waives a no problems charge. Otherwise its $10 for a visit where the tech determines no issues."

I can't hate on them too much because when I blew past the 1TB data cap every month for a year they called me and nicely asked me to turn down my internet usage and when I said "nope I can't" the girl put me on hold and then came back with "ok well we understand and we won't be enforcing the data cap on your account"

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman