TECH No sound coming from earpiece?

Morpheus647

Jan 17, 2006
So I have an iPhone4 and since last night it has stopped outputting any sound from the earpiece. I have tried pretty much every kind of software fix. Took it to the apple store and they didn't know how to fix it. Offered me a refurb unit for $200 which I don't really want to pay.

Couple of questions for you guys:
1) Any ideas on possible ways to fix it?

2) Any way to make the ringer play through the speakers when headphones are plugged in? (The only way I can use my phone right now is with head phones or on speaker phone. I could leave my headphones plugged in all the time but would like to still hear the ringer)

I'm pretty much stuck with this phone until next March so I gotta figure something out.

Pitt

1-1-11 — Never Forget
OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Injured Reserve
trying going back to the apple store at a different time and see if you can get a different genius. this sounds like the sort of thing they'd just give you a new phone for.

TheWeasel

Take a Q-Tip and clean out the headphone hole. Then take a headphone plug and slide it in and out of there a number of times. I had issues with dust getting in my original iPhone's headphone plug hole and it would make the phone think you had headphones plugged in. When you cleaned it out it worked again. You could use just a very small bit of rubbing alcohol on the Q-Tip but be careful as there are moisture sensors inside there and if you get them wet at all, Apple can and sometimes will refuse warranty on it so it may be better not to.

Also check to see that it works with the headphone with mic that came with the phone.

TS
TS
Morpheus647

Morpheus647

Jan 17, 2006
I forgot to mention in the original post that I am 62 days out of my warranty. I did go to a different Apple store today, but had the same result.

The phone does still work with the microphone on the headphones. I'll try cleaning out the headphone port with a qtip. Don't want to pit any kind of liquids in there and risk messing it up since I really need the headphones to keep working.

mulgorian

Nov 1, 2011
Stupid question: Have you tried the other earbuds?

Because my Apple earbuds died month ago after a year+ of heavy use.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan