CAR No thread/excitement for the new 2022 Sierra 1500?

Menger

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2011
SuperCruise won't be available on every trim.

For GMC - Denali - on Denali Ultimate its a standard feature.
For Chevy - High Country

For Chevy and GM - you have to upgrade to the 6.2 or the 3.0... (Denali Ultimate these are the only engine options available)
wonder why you need the big engine to get Super Cruise, wtf is up with that

SAKU39

OT Supporter
Mar 31, 2005
They tried to say that GM customer's don't want fancy interiors, that they want something functional, etc. Lol. I wish I could find the article.
I remember commercials from a while ago where they tried to poke fun at other manufacturers for having features like heated seats/steering wheel and a tailgate step.

Reactions: I<3URANUS

fuct.

Pax sola in morte
Nov 12, 2000
Houston
No RAM for home?
I've lived with a 2020 Ram limited for 2 years now. I can tell you my exact thoughts:

1. the 5.7 fucking sucks on the highway. it has no balls, and terrible gas mileage.
2. the turning radius is GOD AWFUL on it. legitimately the worst turning radius of any vehicle i've ever owned. I absolutely hate parking it.
3. the air suspension is rough as hell in "aero" mode.
4. after 2 years it rattles and creaks like my jeep did

Tomash

OT Supporter
Aug 31, 2003
Houston, TX
That house definitely looks like the house of someone who needs an $80,000 pickup, and totally no to one-up their neighbor's $75,000 pickup.

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
I've lived with a 2020 Ram limited for 2 years now. I can tell you my exact thoughts:

1. the 5.7 fucking sucks on the highway. it has no balls, and terrible gas mileage.
2. the turning radius is GOD AWFUL on it. legitimately the worst turning radius of any vehicle i've ever owned. I absolutely hate parking it.
#chrysler
#shitproducts
#bewarethattransfailureat75kmiles

Reactions: jeff2577 and Tomash

Narc

Stuck in the #CroneZone
OT Supporter
Aug 10, 2005
People comparing a Denali trim to offroad trx/raptor trims ? :rofl:

TS
TS
Perfect Speed

Perfect Speed

Software and Cars
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
PHL>SEA>CLT
They tried to say that GM customer's don't want fancy interiors, that they want something functional, etc. Lol. I wish I could find the article.
Yeah I remember this - IIRC GM basically completely misunderstood...

Customers meant "I'd like a cheap non-fancy truck for not tons of money" OR "I don't want gimmicky stuff, it's a truck"

And chevy took it as "ok so status quo, got it"

Meanwhile Ford did a newer interior (and had a better one in 2019 too) that had big chunky buttons and everything was easy to use and still uses more premium (not s-class premium, but truck-premium) materials in the seats/interior and people bought that. Same with the RAM and the interior (which was even better - giant screen too)
It does look very nice.

But it also looks like complete overkill.
Probably more than the average person who actually NEEDS a truck will use. But in the last 10+ years, trucks are bought for status more than for the use

I'm sure the icons on the buttons will rub off in 20k miles.
Good thing I don't keep stuff that long lol
what's a ~ medium trim (leather, good radio) with Supercruise gonna run
Probably $50k give or take $5k
thoughts on 6.2 vs 3.0 diesel?
see below
Best tech in a truck and I'd say it's making a case for nicer interior too.
Depends what you want.. I have a friend who has one, he loves it. In town mileage is great, highway mileage is great... he tows a 5k boat - truck gets 17-18 doing it...

3.0 is gonna make nearly all torque at a low RPM, and get 25-30 mpg (lots of factors here) on the interstate. It's a Diesel engine that was designed from the ground up for use in a half ton truck, and is really well designed. I think the one thing that scares people (which IMO is a non issue) is the oil pump is driven by a submerged belt. Service of this belt requires splitting of the engine and trans, but it is scheduled to last 150k+++. Complete non issue for me.

6.2 is a fucking blast to drive, but in town mileage won't be as good as the diesel.. but it will get low 20's on the interstate. The 6.2 does have some valve issues, I believe them to be sporadic.

The diesel will come with the usual diesel things - DEF, fuel filter changes (not sure on interval), and managing the fuel in the winter. There are no "tunes" yet to tune out the emissions components, but we all know its probably coming. Banks is working on a "Derringer" tuner.
I've had a 3.0 Powerstroke for nearly 3 years and 55k now....

I tow about 6000-6500lbs very regularly with it (and usually with some tools/gear in the bed) and it gets about 18-19mpg with that load. It'll get 25-27mpg highway unloaded if you do 5-7mph over the speed limit, if you do more it'll be like 23-24, cuz it's a big brick. Typically gets 19-21 in the city.

I've driven a 6.2 GM truck as well as the 3.5 ecoboost with the high output motor and normal one, as well as a 5.7 RAM. Honestly the powerstroke won't win any drag races, but the torque is great for daily driving and it does everything else really well.
V8 power sure is fun, but I find I'd only enjoy such a thing if I didn't have any sports cars - because then I'd at least have some sports car sound.

SuperCruise won't be available on every trim.

For GMC - Denali - on Denali Ultimate its a standard feature.
For Chevy - High Country

For Chevy and GM - you have to upgrade to the 6.2 or the 3.0... (Denali Ultimate these are the only engine options available)
I believe it's optional on lower trims, but not a cheap option. GMC said it will be optional on AT4-X (which makes me believe the ZR2 could have it too)
I'd assume optional on LTZ/ZR2/High Country and maybe like LT with a lot of other options... Probably AT4-X, AT4, SLT, and Denali for GMC

Interior is super nice new - but I'm not surprised the quality didn't last
I'm pleasantly surprised that my F150 interior 3 years/55k later is basically same as new other than the driver's seat being worn :dunno:
Kill me if I'm ever excited for a Chevrolet product or a truck lol
To be fair the only Chevy stuff I like currently is the Camaro, Corvette, CT5-V and CT4-V BW models and the trucks. All the Buicks, SUVs, and sedans they make are completely uninteresting to me

TS
TS
Perfect Speed

Perfect Speed

Software and Cars
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
PHL>SEA>CLT
People comparing a Denali trim to offroad trx/raptor trims ? :rofl:

Who was making that comparison?

That said, ZR2 and AT4-X with the GM Performance 2650 blower (aka the C7ZR1 blower) would make a case for a competitor - not without one tho.

*edit* I saw it now - Yeah the AT4X is the comparison to the TRX/Raptor but it's not $80k like the Denali Ultimate is - It'll probably start in the high 40s/low 50s

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448