CAR No thread/excitement for the new 2022 Sierra 1500?

Remy Bressant

Boots in the cab SMDFTB
OT Supporter
Jul 24, 2015
SoCal
A Dodge Ram is merely a shipping container for the Cummins

500k engine in a 100k truck
Accurate.

Ford should obliterate their competition and sign a deal with Cummins and Allison which would effectively eliminate any reason for people to buy HD rams or GMs.

• Love
Reactions: Cashishift

cooly

OT Supporter
Jan 23, 2006
Accurate.

Ford should obliterate their competition and sign a deal with Cummins and Allison which would effectively eliminate any reason for people to buy HD rams or GMs.
They already did this with the medium duty sector with Navistar back in the early 2000s. I know you are talking light duty but I highly doubt anything like that would ever happen again with Ford forming those kinds of partnerships. See: Blue Diamond

Reactions: Menger

Remy Bressant

Boots in the cab SMDFTB
OT Supporter
Jul 24, 2015
SoCal
They already did this with the medium duty sector with Navistar back in the early 2000s. I know you are talking light duty but I highly doubt anything like that would ever happen again with Ford forming those kinds of partnerships. See: Blue Diamond
It would never happen. This is a truck crew circle jerk of “what ifs”

• Wow
Reactions: cooly
TS
TS
Perfect Speed

Perfect Speed

Software and Cars
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
PHL>SEA>CLT
A Dodge Ram is merely a shipping container for the Cummins

500k engine in a 100k truck

Rear shocks come blown stock
Accurate.

It would never happen. This is a truck crew circle jerk of “what ifs”
Both are true - but man what a corner on the market that would be

Remy Bressant

Boots in the cab SMDFTB
OT Supporter
Jul 24, 2015
SoCal
Rear shocks come blown stock

Both are true - but man what a corner on the market that would be
I don’t think Ford has the business horsepower to beat Dodge’s parent company given they are the second largest supplier of whole goods on earth. :rofl:

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
right lol

I had actually thought the Rams were much better than they used to be. They climbed some reliability metrics of all brands(from like dead last to mediocre)

But as someone mentioned above, from everything I've heard, Dodges issues isn't mechanicals often its usually random stupid shit like the radio, switches/power accessories or random stupid shit

Reactions: Perfect Speed

Drifter

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Mar 6, 2000
Canada
The GM problems are even worse

My dad's Escalade has been in the shop since the 2nd because they can't figure out why it idles rough.

2100 miles on it lmao

Lifters, we've done tons of them on 2021's. All 16 lifters are AFM now on the L87 engine, instead of 8 AFM and 8 standard like on the previous gen.

Drifter

Mar 6, 2000
Canada
GM is STILL having issues with AFM lifters?

They changed the part number up last year and supposedly these "new ones" are fixed now. No idea if they used the old part number when building the L87 engine for the 2021 models.

But more than likely, yes, they're still having issues.

Not even kidding, we keep 200 lifters in stock at any given time to service our shop, other dealers and whole sale.

Drifter

Mar 6, 2000
Canada
That's because AFM now will shut down as many as 7 cylinders, right? not just V4 to V8 anymore

Sort of? It's hard to explain. They call it DFM (Dynamic Fuel Management) as opposed to AFM. AFM as you said was just 8 cylinders down to 4. Apparently DFM has something like (don't remember the exact number) 15-20 different cylinder patterns that it can use to save fuel, which is why all 16 lifters in the engine are the AFM lifters now. The part number is exactly the same as the older L86/L83 engines, just engine management is different now.

TS
TS
Perfect Speed

Perfect Speed

Software and Cars
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
PHL>SEA>CLT
Sort of? It's hard to explain. They call it DFM (Dynamic Fuel Management) as opposed to AFM. AFM as you said was just 8 cylinders down to 4. Apparently DFM has something like (don't remember the exact number) 15-20 different cylinder patterns that it can use to save fuel, which is why all 16 lifters in the engine are the AFM lifters now. The part number is exactly the same as the older L86/L83 engines, just engine management is different now.
:werd: I remember hearing about this it can manage however many cylinders to run at once the ECU says. I didn't realize they changed the name though

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448