Noob - Looking for a beginner bike

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by tedistkrieg, Oct 17, 2007.

1. tedistkrieg

tedistkrieg Exploited Filth

I will be using it to drive to school and work. I need one that can handle freeway speeds. Any suggestions?? Ive researched a lot, but still having a hard time figureing out what I should get.

Ive read that there are a lot of beginner cruiser bikes (I like the Vulcan 500) but then other places say cruisers arent good beginner bikes because they are harder to maneuver at slow speeds.

Im not a big fan of sport bikes (Ive seen wayy too many dead people from crashing sports bikes), but if they are the easiest to learn on then Im fine with getting one. Apparently Ninjas are good beginner bikes :confused:.

What Im looking for is one that
    -Has enough power to keep up with freeway traffic
    -Is relatively comfortable
    -Affordable
    -Recommended for beginners

oh yeah im 6' ~160lbs

2. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

The Ninja 250 and Ninja 500 (and arguably the 650) are the only ones that are good beginner bikes.

a smallish cruiser is perfectly fine as a beginner bike though, I would probably look at more like a 650 than a 500.

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Buy what you like and what you can afford. My first bike was a 1200 CC cruiser so don't listen to all the BS. IMO it's more important that you like what you are riding so you'll ride more and get better. Cruisers aren't any harder to handle at slow speeds unless you're going really slow....but that's not a normal riding condition. If it's too slow to balance easily, just drop your feet to help a little....it's not that big of a deal.

I would also suggest that take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's (MSF) beginning rider course. They help you learn what to watch out for, let you practice on small bikes and it's all in a safe environment. It's some of the best time and money I've ever spent.

4. Toyman321

Toyman321 New Member

x2... go make the MSF class, I ad ridden dirtbikes years previous to starting on the street and Im still glad I took the class.

5. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

maneuverability at slow speed is all about practice and ride time so don't worry about that. Cruisers like the Vulcan and Virago are good bikes, also standards and dualsports are good. As is repeated in this section over and over, it's not the HP or bike style that makes a good "beginner" bike, it's the rider's maturity and respect for the vehicle.

MSF course is a must have though to start gaining skill, maturity and respect.

6. cellphone

cellphone Must not sleep.....

ex250

ex500

gs500

7. aCab

aCab New Member

sv650

8. zxghostrider

zxghostrider Sometimes you gotta hop on two wheels

I would get at least a 600. Your going to get so used to the power of anything less that your gonna wish you bought something more powerful. To be honest, if you can show some self control, you should get as powerful a bike as you can afford, otherwise your going to be making payments on a bike that feels underpowered. It's always better to have more than less IMHO.

9. luxy

luxy Active Member

Are you serious? :rofl:

OP - If this guy is actually serious, this is the worst advice you will ever hear. Completely ignore it.

10. zxghostrider

Actually the advice is great and will save the OP a lot of time and money in the future. Like I said, if you can actually show some self control, then it would be better to have more power to work with than less. I'm so glad I didn't get a 250 as my first bike, I probably would have kicked my own ass.

11. Frequency

Frequency New Member

If 1500 dropped in a 250, is basically like adding insurance to your 10k 600. the 250 will teach you much better riding skills

12. aCab

aCab New Member

Saving time and money doenst matter if you're not alive. Keep giving advice like that and you're bound to get someone killed. A 250 can be dangerous as shit - don't even say it can't be.

So you want to put somebody on a fucking liter bike as their first bike? Great. That's like giving somebody a Ferrari for their first car.

And anyone who says they have self control will want to test the limits sometime - that one time could be the time they die.

I ride and I like to see other people ride, but you giving advice like this is fucking horrible.

Oh, and there is a reason that Europe and Australia and other places have graduated license systems - its because they work. With your advice, the US may well be on its way to that.

Sorry - you're right, I'm a pussy and don't have the balls to ride like you ride. My bad.

13. DamonS

DamonS Flyin' High Again

honestly.. you search this board and you will see that nearly everyone on a 250 has regrets about it after they feel even remotely comfortable. I started on a GS500, and am glad I did. A friend of mine is on a 250 and bitches every day about it.

I wouldn't go with something made for high speeds, but I think the GS series was a very good platform to start with, rake was comfortable to be able to handle at lower speeds and stable at highway speeds.. I wouldn't be setting land speed records on them, but you'll learn to respect a bike with a bit more weight and a smidge more power.

Don't kid yourself, if you get a 250, you'll be trading it in the minute you feel even remotely comfortable on it.

14. zxghostrider

Ummmm, I don't know about you, but I show a lot of control on my ZX-14. I pick my spots. Getting on any motorcycle, 250 or 1400 is obviously dangerous.....it's an inherent risk when you hop on a motorcycle. If you actually listened to what I posted instead of freaking out, I said "if you have self control". With that being said, it's up to an individual to decide weather they can demonstrate self control. If you're a speed freak, then you shouldn't be on any sportbike. The OP can do whatever they want, I offer my 2 cents, but it's his decision. I know a lot of people who start off on 1000's and they are still alive. By your logic, if 250's are so dangerous too, then the OP might as well get a 50cc scooter.....or not even ride at all.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  15. zxghostrider

Thank god....someone with some logic :bowdown:

16. DamonS

DamonS Flyin' High Again

This is interesting. I agree that the OP shouldn't be on a monster machine capable of 200mph, but on the same token, I disagree that they should go with the smallest bike on the market.

I've seen it both ways.. Go in the middle, get a middle of the road sport cruiser, which has a little oomph to scare you, but not so little that you'll be passed by grandpa in his motorized wheelchair.

When I was a teenager, my best friend at the time with a CB350 thought he knew it all, jumped on a bigger bike, mashed the gas like the 350 and ran broadside into a car in an intersection, we are all prone to stupidity.. If you learn to ride respectably, and you take some responsibility for your actions, then there is little harm in getting a 500 and learning to ride properly.

17. zxghostrider

For a beginer, my two cents, a sportbike is safer to be on then a cruiser. Here's why I think this (you can take it or leave it). A cruiser is a big bitch that is tough to manuver. I ride sportbikes, but when I ride my friends cruiser, I feel like if a car pulled out in front of me, it would be a lot tougher to get out of they way then if I was on a more nimble sportbike. BTW, how old are you? If you're 17 or 18, then 600 would be the max I would recomend. If your older and have more driving expierence, then you could go a little higher.

18. luxy

luxy Active Member

I wouldn't really recommend getting a 250 unless size is an issue (which it isn't in this case), if you're looking at sportbikes get a GS/EX500, SV/EX650, but certainly not a 600+ supersport bike. You can have all the self control in the world but if you have a split second panic moment/oops/whatever a bike with 110+ hp is going to bite you in the ass faster than you can realize what's happening. A new rider should not be on a bike with all that power available to them because shit happens, and shit happens a hell of a lot faster on a bike with 110+ hp than it does on a bike with 60hp. The best way to become a good rider is to get on a bike that's suitable for you as a new rider, as it will make the learning curve much smoother. And there's always a market for beginner bikes so if/when you do decide to move up it will be an easy sell. Bottom line is even the "small" 600 Supersport bikes are in no way designed as a beginner bike, they are simply not forgiving enough. Get something you'll be comfortable on starting out, ride it for a season or two, then worry about getting something bigger if you want more power. Working at a bike shop I see far too many people who get a 600/750/1000 as their first bike and it ends up back in the shop in a month or two written off, it happens to the 'self control' people just as much.

19. zxghostrider

Bottom line though here........the OP needs to take a MSF course before getting a bike (of any size). This is more important a factor b/c it might just save his life in a "panic situation". I still here my MSF instructors voices in the back of my head when riding, and it's helped me in a lot of situations.

20. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

It comes down to practice, maturity, respect and responsibility.

Since all people are different, there is NO perfect beginner bike. For some people they could climb on a Vmax and be just fine, for others they will kill themselves in a week on a Ninja 250.

As for sportbikes vs. cruisers, practice practice practice. 95% of the sportbike riders out there that think it's the bike that's more maneuverable couldn't hold a candle to many motorcycle cops riding the big Harleys/KZ1000s when it comes to slow speed tight maneuvering.

As for hp, it's the rider's wrist that controls it. Again, when you think about the myth "if I need to get out of the way, I can crank the throttle". Ever see what happens when you suddenly crank on a 140hp crotch rocket when you're already off balance? add to that a bit of panic? Many one vehicle motorcycle accidents are from over reacting.

21. cellphone

cellphone Must not sleep.....

:ugh2:

do not listen to this guy.

22. zxghostrider

Don't listen to this guy. Look OP.....if you get a 250, your gonna get rid of it in less than a month, if that long. The resale on 250's suck, b/c nobody wants them. Get a 600. The guy who taught me how to ride convinced me out of a 250 as my first bike, and I'm glad he did. Like I said before, regardless of what you get, take the MSF course......Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  23. luxy

luxy Active Member

x2

24. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

He's gonna get rid of it in less than a month? Sure took me a lot longer than that to get to where I was anywhere near the limits of my 250... yes, you can drag knee on them without a problem.

And the resale on 250s sucks? Maybe there it does, around here it's damn good.

I had mine for about a year until I managed to blow it up, and that's even though I do a lot of stupid shit on it. Put 8-9k on it and enjoyed it pretty much the whole time. Were there times that I wished I had more power? Yes. Did I ever think I was an idiot for buying it? No.

All of you who are saying the 250 is a POS, have you ever tried riding it on roads that actually have corners? It turns quite quickly. In addition, it's great for lanesplitting because of how narrow it is...

25. grltechie21

grltechie21 *insert something witty here*

The first bike I got is an '07 Gsx-R600. All I can say is go sit on a few and choose which one you seem more comfortable with that you can afford especially if you're going to be stuck in traffic. The one problem I had (that you don't have to worry about) was my height (5'3",yes i'm short, stfu)so I had to find a bike I was comfortable on and my feet could touch the ground.
    I'd say you don't need to go over a 600 for a 1st bike otherwise you will be smeared on the road and it's stupid speed you don't need unless you have years of riding.