CAR Not all 250s created equal...

GuiltySparc

OT Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Maryland
Just got done with day 1 of the riding portion of the MSF. We had suzuki GZ250s which is a 1 cyl standard/cruiser type bike. I have a ninja 250R and the first thing i noticed when i sat on the GZ was how freakin heavy it was in comparison!

I also found that i'm not a real big fan of forward controls or standard type handlebars. Had a really hard time finding the brake pedal and felt like my hands were really high holding the bars.

Had a good time though, had a lot of trouble with the slow speed sharp turns until i got the hang of feathering the clutch and working the rear brake, now i'm pretty good at them.

So ya, the 250R is a much better bike for me than the GZ250 and i can see how people might poo poo 250s if the GZ was the only one they had ridden.

AVengeance

Aug 17, 2004
In my bunker Position:Hunkering
So true. Never judge a bike by only its displacement. There are serious sportbike guys that started on or owned a 250R, and keep it around because it's so nimble and so much fun, even if it isn't as brutally fast as a liter-laden supersport.

Pobedonstev

Punch Machine
Oct 3, 2006
weston, south florida
So true. Never judge a bike by only its displacement. There are serious sportbike guys that started on or owned a 250R, and keep it around because it's so nimble and so much fun, even if it isn't as brutally fast as a liter-laden supersport.

not to disagree with what you said, but as a side note...I always laugh when people call a ninja 250 "nimble" when they can barely uturn a bike lol

Oct 17, 2004
New England

even bikes that are supposed to be similar can fit a rider completely differently. I have a harley heritage softail classic and rode my friend's harley street glide. i'm 6'3" and fit perfectly on my bike, but on the street glide i was all jammed up. i regularly take day long rides and sit on my bike for 3-4 hrs at a time. i doubt i could have done 1 hr on the street glide.

cliffs: different bikes, different fits.

TS
TS
GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc

OT Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Maryland
It was pouring rain yesterday for the 2nd MSF range day. Luckily they didnt cancel it and i was able to pass the riding test even in the rain, lol. So i cant talk too badly about the GZ, it got me through in shitty weather.

The only part of the test i had trouble with was the figure 8. I could do the first u-turn no problem but always ran wide on the second. That end of the u-turn box sloped down hill away from the exit so i'm sure that didnt help things. I nailed the swerve, quick stop, and cornering tests no problem. Felt bad for the one guy who dropped the bike during the swerve. He would have been fine on dry pavement but he braked a little too hard for the wet and down it went.

Now i just need to put some tags on the ninja and hit the parkling lots for a little bit before i take it out on the road. Pretty excited.

Pobedonstev

Punch Machine
Oct 3, 2006
weston, south florida
even bikes that are supposed to be similar can fit a rider completely differently. I have a harley heritage softail classic and rode my friend's harley street glide. i'm 6'3" and fit perfectly on my bike, but on the street glide i was all jammed up. i regularly take day long rides and sit on my bike for 3-4 hrs at a time. i doubt i could have done 1 hr on the street glide.

cliffs: different bikes, different fits.
nothing a set of 14's can't fix!

Oct 17, 2004
New England
nothing a set of 14's can't fix!
nope. the seat location, the footboards...it's set up completely different.

last year he put some 18" or 20" apes on it and i thought he was stupid but i took it for a ride and it's actually very comfortable. it's not my style and i don't want them, but i was surprised at how easy it was to sit like that.

Dracord

Always late on title changes
Jun 3, 2001
Marquette, MI
It was pouring rain yesterday for the 2nd MSF range day. Luckily they didnt cancel it and i was able to pass the riding test even in the rain, lol. So i cant talk too badly about the GZ, it got me through in shitty weather.

The only part of the test i had trouble with was the figure 8. I could do the first u-turn no problem but always ran wide on the second. That end of the u-turn box sloped down hill away from the exit so i'm sure that didnt help things. I nailed the swerve, quick stop, and cornering tests no problem. Felt bad for the one guy who dropped the bike during the swerve. He would have been fine on dry pavement but he braked a little too hard for the wet and down it went.

Now i just need to put some tags on the ninja and hit the parkling lots for a little bit before i take it out on the road. Pretty excited.

I nailed the figure 8 every time I practiced and when I went to the box on the first turn I went wide and dropped my foot twice :o I was like 2 points from failing because of that

TS
TS
GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc

OT Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Maryland
I nailed the figure 8 every time I practiced and when I went to the box on the first turn I went wide and dropped my foot twice :o I was like 2 points from failing because of that

I was just glad it was first on the skills test. I got it out of the way and wasnt nervous about the others.

AVengeance

Aug 17, 2004
In my bunker Position:Hunkering

Nice job passing the course! My wife took the 2nd day of her MSF course yesterday, too. She'll be picking up her motorcycle endorsement tomorrow. I'm thinking about buying her a Zero DS for our anniversary. I wish Honda or Kawi already made an electric.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterparl19