Nutrition EDU

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition Archives' started by Genghis.Tron, May 9, 2007.

1. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Powdered milk.
    Whey + anything with some carbs but not too much fructose.
    It could be food too.

2. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

i don't knwo what type of carbs are in milk but PWO i loves me a scoop of whey with 12oz of skim milk. Plenty of P a little C and some N in da A and D in da P

3. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Milk as lactose (which is decomposed in galactose + glucose by an enzyme called lactase, which some people lack and makes them lactose intolerant). Some people are whey/casein intolerant too so taking whey isolate isn't always a solution for those who should avoid dairy.

4. fondy

fondy It's all about my bonus.

According to that equation I have to eat 2600 cal daily combined with my exercise to lose weight.

Fuck, I don't ever eat that much.

5. synthetic

synthetic New Member

Must read! for those wondering why they dont have a 6 pack, yet eat low calories and exercise a lot....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat :
    The exact biochemical methods by which trans fats produce specific health problems are a topic of continuing research. The most prevalent theory is that the human lipase enzyme is specific to the cis configuration. This enzyme can hydrolize the cis double bond, resulting in two lower molecular weight fatty acids that can be further metabolized. The human lipase enzyme is ineffective with the trans configuration, so trans fat remains in the blood stream for a much longer period of time and is more prone to arterial deposition and subsequent plaque formation. - basicly a more permanent fat

http://www.bantransfats.com

some points from about page for you cliff note fuckers

About Trans Fat

There are four kinds of fats: monounsaturated fat, polyunsaturated fat, saturated fat, and trans fat. Monounsaturated fat and polyunsaturated fat are the "good" fats. It is generally accepted that consumption of saturated fat should be kept low, especially for adults. Trans fat (which means trans fatty acids) is the worst kind of fat, far worse than saturated fat.

Partial hydrogenation is an industrial process used to make a perfectly good oil, such as soybean oil, into a perfectly bad oil. The process is used to make an oil more solid; provide longer shelf-life in baked products; provide longer fry-life for cooking oils, and provide a certain kind of texture or "mouthfeel." The big problem is that partially hydrogenated oil is laden with lethal trans fat.

One of the reasons that partially hydrogenated oils are used is to increase the product's shelf life, but they decrease your shelf life.

Trans fats cause significant and serious lowering of HDL (good) cholesterol and a significant and serious increase in LDL (bad) cholesterol; make the arteries more rigid; cause major clogging of arteries; cause insulin resistance; cause or contribute to type 2 diabetes; and cause or contribute to other serious health problems.

!!!What not to eat!!!!

1. Don't eat any product which has the words "partially hydrogenated" or "shortening" in the ingredients list.

2. If the label says zero trans fats, don't believe it. If the words "partially hydrogenated" or "shortening" are in the ingredients list, it DOES contain trans fat.

3. Be careful when consuming products with labels from outside the United States. Sometimes they contain partially hydrogenated oil but it's not on the label.

4. In restaurants, bakeries, and other eateries, ask whether they use partially hydrogenated oil for frying or baking or in salad dressings. If they say they use vegetable oil, ask whether it is partially hydrogenated. Don't be shy about asking. Assume that all unlabeled baked and fried goods contain partially hydrogenated oil, unless you know otherwise.

One more thing. Cholesterol that affects our arteries comes from two sources: (i) animal products and (ii) bad fats. If a product is "cholesterol fee," that doesn't mean that it won't raise your bad cholesterol. If the product itself contains no cholesterol but it does contain trans fat or saturated fat, it will raise your bad cholesterol.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  6. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

What you're saying is that eating trans fat keeps people on low-cal diets from having abs ? You know it makes no sense, right ?

7. synthetic

synthetic New Member

after all... a calorie is just a calorie.. right?

who would like to be our test subject(s) ?

if you care to read further on that site:

Kylie Kavanagh, D.V.M., presented the findings today at the 66th annual Scientific Sessions of the American Diabetes Association in Washington, D.C. She said that over six years, male monkeys fed a western-style diet that contains trans fat had a 7.2 percent increase in body weight, compared to a 1.8 percent increase in monkeys that ate monounsaturated fats, such as olive oil.

All that extra weight went to the abdomen, and some other body fat was redistributed to the abdomen. Computed tomography (CT) scans showed that the monkeys on the diet containing trans fats had dramatically more abdominal fat than the monkeys on the monounsaturated fat. “We measured the volume of fat using CT,” Kavanagh said. “They deposited 30 percent more fat in their abdomen.”

The monkeys all were given the same amount of daily calories, with 35 percent of the calories coming from fat. The amount of calories they got should only have been enough to maintain their weight, not increase it, Rudel said. “We believed they couldn’t get obese because we did not give them enough calories to get fat.”

One group of monkeys got 8 percent of their calories from trans fat while the other group received those calories as monounsaturated fat. The researchers said that this amount of trans fat is comparable to people who eat a lot of fried food.

“We conclude that in equivalent diets, trans fatty acid consumption increases weight gain,” said Kavanagh.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  8. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Interesting, that's the first time I see something about trans fat and weight gain instead of cardiovascular diseases and arterial problems (which is what your first post layed out actually).

9. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

So make a shit diet even shittier?

Lyle's response:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20382

More on that study...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15603

10. synthetic

synthetic New Member

that forum u link requires registration, and this lyle guy, what moron math is he using? you cannot elaborate from final results that its a linear gain; making assumptions that the weight can be just as simply burnt off as if you had natural fats in your system

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  11. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

From the second link...

12. synthetic

synthetic New Member

doesnt state if they are natural trans fats or synthetic, i mean if you seem to be pro trans fat, why not going on a fries and whey protien diet and come back with the results

13. crown royal

crown royal Active Member

Why the argument? I don't care whether trans fats make me gain or lose weight. They are bad for me so I'm not eating them.

14. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

I'm not pro trans fat. I'm just not scared of .5g of trans fat.
    And never have counted my trans fats. And because of my age I do get my health checked regularly. And never been a problem.

15. synthetic

synthetic New Member

it is the best to keep the mindset of avoiding all transfat, because you will be more positive that the food is beneficial towards your goals. Not everyone is genetically gifted, and forcing yourself to be strict is the best way. Not only did i start weightloss because i had a sad strength ratio, but also my father had 3 heart attacks, with his father before him dying from one, so genetics are not on my side

16. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

I understand where you're coming from...but the media and medical field has flipped flopped on what exactly we should be most concerned about that there has to be abit of perspective.

http://easydiagnosis.com/secondopinions/newsletter27.html

More form Lyle from that thread to which I again whole heartedly agree with....

In the end, to each their own. Whether because of genetic disposition and other factors, what is required of you to stay lean and/or healthy isn't necessarily the same requirement for me. There's a wide range between the minimum requirements and the optimum approach. Hell, even what's to be considered optimum alone may differ significantly between folks.

17. Drewski

Drewski New Member

:werd:

if you workout and your diet is relatively clean, as it is for most F&N'ers around here, worrying about .5g of transfat here and there is probably less detrimental to your then the cortisol from stressing about the amount of transfat in your diet.

it is something that has been in our diets in small amounts forever afterall

18. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Updated with EFAs guidelines.

19. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

In terms of health (heart disease etc) they are best avoided.. but in terms of being lean ther 100 other things to worry about before you start worrying about trans fats.

20. Big Boi

Big Boi OT Supporter

Thanks for the great post. While I admit, I didn't read the entire thing, I did still find lots of useful information.

21. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I see this a bit like a dictionary. No one really reads it completely but once you got a question it's handy.

22. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Best. Dictionary. Evar.

at some point i'll have to start following it and lose this flab :o

23. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

does taro fall within this category well?

o Starchy veggies (sweet potatoes, yam, legumes)

i love this stuff. my main carb sources during dinner nowadays are sweet potatoes and whole wheat pasta. i'm thinking of throwing taro into this mix.

24. macro

macro New Member

a partial excerpt on ways to lower cholesterol and maintain vascular health:

cardio (endurance exercise, brisk walking is sufficient)

Oat fiber (oats or oat fiber tablets)- with meals that contain cholesterol and saturated fats

increasing OMEGA 3 fats (fish oil, flax oil)

Decreasing saturated fats and eliminating trans fatty acids

supplements (partial list):

Red Yeast Rice (contains lovostatin and monacolins)- lowers HDL, may raise HDL

Sesamin/episesamin (sesapure)- lowers HDL, may raise HDL, increases eNOS, reduces platelet aggregation and adhesion, maintains healthy blood pressure and vascular tone. decreases formation of Asymmetric dimethylarginine (bad arginine metabolite). Episesamin is the more potent epimer, so pure sesamin is actually less effective.

R-lipoic (glucorell)- decreases superoxide, decreases oxidized LDL, decreases triglycerides, lowers plasma insulin (factor in NO suppression and oxidation). the impacts of the pure r isomer are significantly greater than those of the racemate (R/S lipoic)- the unnatural S-isomer is competitive with the effective R. though with respect to superoxide alone there may be little difference, unlike with glucose uptake, insulin sensitivity and ppargamma modulation.

Arginine (AAKG,AEE, AKIC, Arginate, etc): increases NO, maintains vascular tone, increases vasodilation.

EGCG (green tea extract): increases eNOS, lowers LDL, decreases superoxide, degrades Asymmetric dimethylarginine (bad arginine metabolite).

there will be an article on the vascular system coming next week @ www.afboard.com/forum

which will contain more info on these and other compounds with respect to vascular health.

25. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

i love how much time and effort goes into the stickies in this forum. :coold: