A&P NYC/ large city people

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by CHOWBOX, Jul 9, 2007.

1. CHOWBOX

CHOWBOX OT Supporter

I’m heading to NYC next week armed with my brand new D80 & 18-200vr but I’m not sure if I should bring the SB800 & 10-20mm or just leave them at home. I’m only going for day trips in as my wife lives right on the train line & I’ll be alone as she will be at work. Anything I should avoid or be cautious of with a DSLR? Never been in the city with one & would rather keep it in my possession & not get haggled by authorities Are there any places I can’t or shouldn’t shoot?

I guess I’ll mention this is really my first time out to “shoot” period, beside with friends or the house & i may stick out out a bit more that the average Joe as I'm missing a leg:wavey:

But things like this:

or

http://gothamist.com/2007/06/29/city_proposes_l.php

make me a bit :ugh:

2. FidizzyTypeS

FidizzyTypeS Gimme Dem Scones!! OT Supporter

Don't use a tripod in the subways and don't photography the bridges up close and you'll be fine. I shoot in the city all the time and never get bothered.

3. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

fuck it...if it isn't a law yet, then they don't have any way of prohibiting it. unless you're taking shots of other people specifically or doing it on private property, you should be fine. and if you look at the gothamist, it says something about groups of two or more...if you're by yourself, you'll be fine.

4. Ludwig

Ludwig New Member

Tripods are not allowed and never been hassled by the cops, except one time this asian lady tell me to stop shooting her street merchandise.

5. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

FUCKING LAME!

6. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

Don't use a tripod
    Don't shoot bridges and municipal/government buildings
    Be cautious shooting in subways/MTA stations
    DON'T SHOOT at/near power substations or chemical plants! OMFG they freak out over that shit.
    Don't leave your camera on the passengers seat when you go through a bridge toll booth (this mistake landed my ass on the DHS watch list)
    Check for local legal updates in NYC before you travel (some new regs MAY go into effect at the end of the month)

I would be REALLY surprised if you get hassled like I do (I travel with a minimum of 5 bags of gear in a support truck) so you with just a DSLR and a couple lenses shouldn't have a problem.

That said, I have been given shit just for having one camera out of the bag at the wrong time, like the bridge incident. I had a camera laying on the passengers seat (in between shoots) and went through a toll booth. The cop standing next to the booth FREAKED the fuck out and I ended up getting grilled for 1/2 an hour and told my info was going on the DHS watch list. Sure enough, a month later I had a business trip to Canada and US Customs nearly gave me a strip search on the way home.

:madfawk:

Welcome to the Fourth Reich: http://news.com.com/New+York+plans+...owntown/2100-1029_3-6195517.html?tag=nefd.top

By the way, NJ is about a 1000x worse. I've had cops pull up and hassle me for taking shots of my own car on a dead end public road. The NJ cops just don't have anything better to do. :mamoru:

7. Ludwig

Ludwig New Member

8. CHOWBOX

CHOWBOX OT Supporter

:hs: My wife lives in Short Hills, NJ

at least I'm only hopping on the train here.

thanks for the info:bigthumb:

9. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

definitely take teh 10-20 with you

10. CHOWBOX

CHOWBOX OT Supporter

what about the flash? doesn't weigh much, but kind of clunky.

11. Jonny Chimpo

What's so amusing?

12. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

can't really see any reason you would need it.. but it might not hurt to take it anyway.

13. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

I went to NYC and shot buildings and didn't get bothered.

for the tripod, can you use a monopod?

and BRING YOUR 10-22, in a city you'll want the wide angle. I end us shooting at 18 a lot of times on the 18-200 in town

14. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

hooray america, what in the fuck is happening to this country :wtc:

15. Jonny Chimpo

Do you really think the average cop is going to make the distinction? One leg or three, it doesn't matter, you must be a pro, so pay up. :hs:

16. planb

planb itches in my teeth

man... shooting in Japan is soooo nice. Everyone and their mothers has a top of line SLR, anywhere you go you see old dudes toting around tripods and a huge camera bag, shooting whatever as a hobby. No one gives it a second thought if you take a candid picture of them, etc.

17. Jonny Chimpo

The terrorists won? :dunno:

Fear of terrorism has caused most people to behave like complete sheep and start giving up their civil liberties. 95% (at least) of Americans don't see the symptoms of a dawning police state caused by a government that is too large, too corrupt and becoming ever more powerful, so they just roll with it and think "hey, no biggie".

The regulations that NYC are now passing are the most blatantly unconstitutional motions I've ever seen and I can't believe that people aren't having a complete fit about them. It violates the first amendment both in limiting free speech AND in the right to peaceably assemble. (notice that it's written so that more than x# of people can't gather for more than x# of minutes?)

It's bullshit every step of the way. It started with the Patriot Act and has carried through to domestic espionage, suspension of due process, local laws and regulations that are blatantly unconstitutional and now possibly increased surveillance. And don't even get me started on the "national ID card" program. SHOW ME YOUR PAPERS, CITIZEN! And still people think it's no big deal and it's for "the good of the country" or that all of this "makes us safer".

I'm not going to blame Bush or make this an anti-Bush rant, it's the fault of lazy ass and uneducated American sheep that care more about their 401k and 500 HD cable channels than actually living free. Stalin had it wrong, religion isn't the opiate of the masses, money is.

18. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

recent article in the NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/29/n...&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=print

19. CHOWBOX

CHOWBOX OT Supporter

I'm always a monopod... i hope the just leave me alone. & with the temps in NYC lately...i'm wearing shorts

[​IMG]

20. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

they'll arrest you thinking it's a bomb or something

sad part is I wouldn't be very surprised if that actually happened

21. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

this makes me really sad, there were pretty much 2 directions we could have gone after september 11th, apparently we took the "fuck protecting ourselves, the gov't will do it" path

the attacks were meant to destroy america, and they have so far been pretty fucking successful

22. CHOWBOX

CHOWBOX OT Supporter

I get the whole shit every time i fly. i almost alway wear shorts when i fly so i don't cause mental meltdown for the TSA dorks when i hit the detectors. they have a chance to understand why i trip the alerts

23. planb

planb itches in my teeth

you really think all this is enforced though? they cited one case, but thats just one out of how many tourists who film in NYC...

24. Jonny Chimpo

I speak from first hand experience. Yeah, it's enforced. Thanks to the sheer numbers of people with cameras in NYC, the vast majority don't get hassled, but if you look like a commercial photog, or you are shooting at/around something even marginally sensitive then you WILL get hassled.

Anyone that doesn't believe it, or says is doesn't actually happen, doesn't get out to shoot very often.

25. SkyAce2004

SkyAce2004 New Member

i was in NYC a few months ago with my gear and didnt get bothered at all. bring your 10-20, you will kick yourself if you dont later on.