FIT Obama's view on steroids

Status
Not open for further replies.

timberwolf

Jan 30, 2004
Toronto
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/10/02/obama_takes_swipe_at_mccains_s.html

By Ben Pershing (Published Today)
Sen. Barack Obama appeared to take a swipe at Sen. John McCain's activism on the subject of steroids in sports this morning, suggesting that the topic should not be a high priority for Congress or the federal government.

Appearing on ESPN Radio's "Mike & Mike in the Morning" program, Obama did not mention the Arizonan by name. But the Democratic presidential nominee did make clear that he would steer a different course than McCain has in the past when he was asked "how much government should be involved with sports and performance-enhancing drugs."

"I gotta admit that seeing a lot of congressional hearings around steroid use is not probably the best use of congressional time," Obama said

McCain has long been closely identified with efforts on the Hill to expose steroid use in baseball. In 2004, when McCain was chairman of the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee, his panel held a high-profile hearing on the subject, and McCain's scrutiny helped force Major League Baseball owners to implement a new drug-testing policy.

McCain said the following year that the league "can't be trusted" to handle the issue on its own, and threatened to write legislation cracking down on performance-enhancing drugs. A House committee also held highly-publicized hearings on steroids in baseball in 2007.

But Obama suggested this morning there were more important things on which the government should focus.

"Kids are watching sports. They're modeling themselves on athletes," Obama said. "It's a serious problem, but it's one that you want to see the leagues themselves handle in a more appropriate way. We've got nuclear weapons and a financial meltdown to worry about. We shouldn't be worrying about steroids as much as I think sometimes we do."

Obama campaign spokesman Tommy Vietor said the Democrat's comments were not intended as a dig at McCain.

"Senator Obama has been saying this [about steroids] for years," Vietor said. "We face a big set of challenges, from the economy to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, that the government should be focusing on."

The McCain campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

While he says government should be more hands-off on steroids, Obama did suggest other sports areas in which his administration might meddle.

"I would have my attorney general investigate the possibility of instituting a college football playoff system through executive order. I'm tired of this nonsense at the end of every college football season," Obama said.

"Thank you! Thank you!," yelled co-host Mike Golic.

On the NFL, Obama also made clear that he was opposed to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers playing in a domed stadium. "Unless you're in Minnesota or Wisconsin you're not allowed to have a dome," he said, suggesting, tongue firmly in cheek, he would pass a law to formalize that policy.

Obama's beloved Chicago White Sox have Game 1 of their playoff series today, and the Democrat seemed to hesitate when asked whether he would watch that game or tonight's vice presidential debate between Sen. Joe Biden and Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin. "Biden might be listening," Obama joked, before confirming that he would in fact watch the debate. (Fortunately for Obama, the White Sox play at 2:30 p.m. ET, more than six hours before the debate is scheduled to start.)

Obama also revealed that he would continue his tradition of past election days by playing pickup basketball on Nov. 4.

"No doubt about it," he said. "On Election Day, you gotta have a game.... I haven't been playing lately, because I figure if I show up with a broken nose or a missing tooth during the debate that might not be so good. But I figure on Election Day it's too late. By that time everybody will have made up their minds so it doesn't matter if I get hurt."

Lukkie

OT Supporter
Apr 1, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
the fact that congress has hearings on steroid use is one of the most utterly retarded wastes of time imaginable. and that's saying a lot considering how worthless congress has been lately

in any case, +1 obama

mandrew

Aug 25, 2008
S.F.
Presidential Kick-assness Scoreboard:

Obama:

McCain:

3 (sympathy points because I got love for veterans)

mandrew

Aug 25, 2008
S.F.
the fact that congress has hearings on steroid use is one of the most utterly retarded wastes of time imaginable. and that's saying a lot considering how worthless congress has been lately

in any case, +1 obama
that's because our country is full of morons who care more about what their neighbors do behind closed doors than they do about important issues like white collar crime, unjust wars, health care, education, and everything else that actually makes a difference in our quality of life. It's not their fault, people in positions of economic and political power intentionally mislead them and have been for over a century.

Lukkie

OT Supporter
Apr 1, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
you forgot to bold the important bits

"Kids are watching sports. They're modeling themselves on athletes," Obama said. "It's a serious problem, but it's one that you want to see the leagues themselves handle in a more appropriate way. We've got nuclear weapons and a financial meltdown to worry about. We shouldn't be worrying about steroids as much as I think sometimes we do."

i think that sums up the entire article succinctly

m45

May 2, 2005

i think that sums up the entire article succinctly
its good that they control steriods, in the hands of people who have no idea what they are doing they can be very dangerous.

RalphL

Nov 13, 2004
CT/Philly
what was that statistic from Bigger Faster Stronger? Congress spent more days talking about steroids in sports than social security and a bunch of other real issues:rofl:

TS
TS
timberwolf

timberwolf

Jan 30, 2004
Toronto
yeah but JOE FUCKING BIDEN is his running mate

http://mesomorphosis.com/blog/2008/08/26/joseph-biden-and-criminalization-of-anabolic-steroids/

Advocates of steroid law reform are very disappointed that Democratic presidential candidate Barrack Obama selected Senator Joseph Biden as his vice presidential nominee. Senator Biden was the chief architect of the Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 1990 that criminalized the possession of anabolic steroids for non-medical purposes. Biden also wrote the Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 2004 which opened the door for significantly harsher penalties for steroid possession and steroid distribution; this has resulted in the increased prosecution of steroid users over the past few years who are treated as dangerous criminals with the worst penalties for the non-medical use of steroids in history. Senator Biden has been on his anti-steroid crusade for almost two decades.

Drewski

May 22, 2002
Scarberia aka Scarlem, ON
We've got nuclear weapons and a financial meltdown to worry about. We shouldn't be worrying about steroids as much as I think sometimes we do."

exactly.

in the grand scheme of things, how they voted on roids wouldn't one of the issues I'd be looking into when deciding how to vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan