ENT Obi-Wan Kenobi *OFFICIAL THREAD* …streaming now on Disney+

Nightfreed

OT Supporter
May 1, 2020
it was shoe horned in and made no sense other than to be inclusive of gay and trans people in a super far (1000 years give or take) future where it may or may not even be a cultural hot spot.

Reactions: Twinsen

Nightfreed

OT Supporter
May 1, 2020
the relationship with the doctor and the engineer actually feels relative to the show. the trill symbiote felt like a lecture.

Reactions: Sean6293

preston

Jun 8, 2006
Miami / Atlanta
Regarding episode 3:

I really enjoyed the moment
where Obi-Wan is talking about his past and family, and how that’s a sort of mirror to Leia. I also generally appreciate the dynamic wherein Kenobi likely cares for her as the daughter of two of his old friends, and that associated conflict in that one of her parents is technically alive, but I guess as it relates to the Jedi - technically not alive? Dunno, all that shit works, but I’m less sure how I feel about the Vader and Kenobi meeting
at the end of the episode.

The show has some nice, emotionally interesting moments, but also plenty of clumsiness. Gotta admit I haven’t been super impressed by the directorial effort thus far.

• Sad
Reactions: Twinsen

Twinsen

Resident Negro
Mar 12, 2006
Memphis, TN
I didn't want to bring it up, but yeah, I've heard Discovery season 3 really went off the deep end with that shit.
Yeah, it was god awful. I don't know how I finished it. I just wanted to stay on the train ride I guess. I didn't bother with Season 4, but I watch this guy that reviews every episode and it provides a lot of entertainment from how stupid its become. :rofl:

Twinsen

Resident Negro
Mar 12, 2006
Memphis, TN
the relationship with the doctor and the engineer actually feels relative to the show. the trill symbiote felt like a lecture.
My main gripe with Discovery is that it's trying to do inclusion of everything, but they've basically COMPLETELY flipped the old standards from the TOS days and are now doing Reverse Racisim.

Everyone is gay/trans/SOMETHING
Only women are powerful (every planet where they meet a leader, it's a woman)
Michael Burhnam is still the best at all the things
Every straight white male is an idiot or killed off
Everybody has a tragic back-story that they have to talk about in the middle of danger

Like jesus christ, they can't even mix shit up and make it not obvious as to what they're doing. :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: HUGE

Nightfreed

OT Supporter
May 1, 2020
CALL ME BY MY PRONOUNS !!!! (even though in the 24-25th century society had evolved beyond caring about this shit)
They're actually somewhere in the 3000s. And that trill is from the present time line. Having 21st century issues.

It's kind of nonsense.

mdaniel

S is for Shiksa
May 6, 2000
NW Mejicooooooo
Yeah, it was god awful. I don't know how I finished it. I just wanted to stay on the train ride I guess. I didn't bother with Season 4, but I watch this guy that reviews every episode and it provides a lot of entertainment from how stupid its become. :rofl:

You ever watch the Critical Drinker on Youtube?

Reactions: HUGE

mdaniel

S is for Shiksa
May 6, 2000
NW Mejicooooooo
My main gripe with Discovery is that it's trying to do inclusion of everything, but they've basically COMPLETELY flipped the old standards from the TOS days and are now doing Reverse Racisim.

Everybody has a tragic back-story that they have to talk about in the middle of danger

Like jesus christ, they can't even mix shit up and make it not obvious as to what they're doing. :rofl:

Wow, it's worse than I'd heard. I'm glad I didn't bother. I watch movies and TV for entertainment and an escape, not to be lectured to. When that happens, I just tune out.

Reactions: HUGE and Twinsen

ghost.prawn

OT Supporter
May 11, 2006

:hug:

Twinsen

Resident Negro
Mar 12, 2006
Memphis, TN
You ever watch the Critical Drinker on Youtube?

Occasionally, but my go-to reviewers are...

Red Letter Media
Angry Joe

Mainly Star Trek Reviewers
Nitpicking Nerd
Heelvsbabyface (he doesn't review them anymore, but I watched all of his Season 3 of Discovery reviews, HIGHlarious)
UK Danger Man Reviews (small time guy that just started, I like his thoughts but he seems to be too damaged from Discovery/Picard to appreciate what they're going with Strange New Worlds in the fact that they're actually TRYING to make Star Trek again...)

Nightfreed

OT Supporter
May 1, 2020
They were from the 25th century. So they would have the mentality of the 25th century.
The main cast is from the 23rd, discovery predates TOS. Then they time traveled to the 31st century and they picked up the trill there.

Watch season 3

Twinsen

Resident Negro
Mar 12, 2006
Memphis, TN
The main cast is from the 23rd, discovery predates TOS. Then they time traveled to the 31st century and they picked up the trill there.

Watch season 3
23rd Century, my bad.

Still, they are FROM the 23rd Century, so they should act like they're from the 23rd Century is still my point.

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
Thought this ep was pretty awesome, finally watched it

People love to nitpick especially within this franchise which is so odd to me. Its fucking fantasy

Reactions: Mighty

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
Wow, it's worse than I'd heard. I'm glad I didn't bother. I watch movies and TV for entertainment and an escape, not to be lectured to. When that happens, I just tune out.
Well I mean you would champion

You have thinner skin than an overripe grape

Ava G.

OT Supporter
Apr 9, 2021
CO
CALL ME BY MY PRONOUNS !!!! (even though in the 24-25th century society had evolved beyond caring about this shit)
If people in future centuries evolved beyond gender, then everyone would go by a neutral or non-binary pronoun (ie they/them). But I doubt you would want that.

Twinsen

Resident Negro
Mar 12, 2006
Memphis, TN
If people in future centuries evolved beyond gender, then everyone would go by a neutral or non-binary pronoun (ie they/them). But I doubt you would want that.
That's not the issue. The issue is THEY had a problem when the doctor referred to them as a she, while "they" looked like they were sleeping. That's something that would happen today. Not in the era of Star Trek that we have been shown before NuTrek.

Just an example, in an episode of TOS, where Lincoln called Uhura a negro, he instantly apologized and she was like...for what? Oh, you called me a negro? She was basically like, negro we so past that, I didn't even think about it.

That's what I'm talking about.

Ava G.

OT Supporter
Apr 9, 2021
CO
I don't think those are comparable. Kirk may or may not be offended if you called him "she" or "they", but gender identity and roles still exist in that society, since they use male and female pronouns (or non-binary).

Nightfreed

OT Supporter
May 1, 2020
23rd Century, my bad.

Still, they are FROM the 23rd Century, so they should act like they're from the 23rd Century is still my point.
thats what im saying. the trill is FROM the 31st century. "they" are dealing with 21st century problems that might not exist.

Nightfreed

OT Supporter
May 1, 2020
I don't think those are comparable. Kirk may or may not be offended if you called him "she" or "they", but gender identity and roles still exist in that society, since they use male and female pronouns (or non-binary).
trill are symbiots. she wanted to be called "they". its dumb.

they handled it much better in DSN

Reactions: Jesus and Twinsen

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marsillpost