CREW SRS Official, NON-POL, Covid-19™ Thread. We're Endemic now! No more delusions of herd immunity.

ludewig

Mar 14, 2000
Houston! Texas!
Why would immunity gained from omicron infection be flimsy?
By flimsy he's just saying the virus may eventually mutate to overcome omicron infection immunity such that there would be a further pandemic wave.

He said previously that after Omicron passes things will die down to about normal (sort of like an endemic phase) and then after 6 months or so there's a risk the pandemic make start again thru mutation (largely in unvaccinated populations).

His point is our best measure to address that risk is to vaccinate as much of the world population as possible in the next 6 months.

Phil NJ

OT Supporter
Jun 15, 2003
Jersey Shore
Infection-acquired immunity is variable, where the level of immunity correlates with disease severity
Of course. I understand that part. I was assuming he was stating that omicron infection in general is flimsy, which I had an issue with. Esp since the vaccines themselves are so distant from the current variant.

Phil NJ

OT Supporter
Jun 15, 2003
Jersey Shore
By flimsy he's just saying the virus may eventually mutate to overcome omicron infection immunity such that there would be a further pandemic wave.

He said previously that after Omicron passes things will die down to about normal (sort of like an endemic phase) and then after 6 months or so there's a risk the pandemic make start again thru mutation (largely in unvaccinated populations).

His point is our best measure to address that risk is to vaccinate as much of the world population as possible in the next 6 months.
Perhaps an improved vaccine would be needed in that case then? One that covers more of the current variants?

ludewig

Mar 14, 2000
Houston! Texas!
Perhaps an improved vaccine would be needed in that case then? One that covers more of the current variants?
Sure. They'll be tweaking vaccines for years I assume.

His point is that we have an opportunity now to increase our chances of having a lasting transition to endemic and ending the pandemic after Omicron if we vaccinate vs relying on world wide post omicron infection immunity alone. By itself, post omicron infection immunity will likely calm everything down for about 6 months but then it will wain and put us at higher risk of fostering a new pandemic VOC.

the_antsy_honda

Do not hug me.
Dec 17, 2001
California
I would show it to my inlaws, but they would save the CDC is not to be trusted and all data can be manipulated.

Then they will show be a random rumble video from a chiropractor saying how I should be dead by now.
It's one thing to show a substance abuser or fat person the statistics of not being an alcoholic or fat

they could always just say, "well drinking takes the pain away" or "eating feels fucking fantastic" and you be just like :nod:

Nobody says, "Hell yeah, motherfucker! Being unvaccinated feels great fuck the stats!"

• Haha
Reactions: Phil NJ

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anthony 74