CREW SRS Official, NON-POL, Covid-19™ Thread. We're Endemic now! Weekly deaths at the lowest since March 2020

Ceaze

he/him
Jun 4, 2000
Fh3FfNJXgAAFK1z

Jazz

Powerhouse of the Scrum
Mar 14, 2000
Whistler, BC
So what’s the consensus on how long bivalent booster provides some protection against infection? 4 weeks, 6 weeks, 8 weeks?

I have a big company meeting first week of January, and then I have to be in Vegas last week of January. Trying not to bring anything home to the baby (though she should have her second shot by then) so trying to time the shot

Das_Ubermensch

OT Supporter
Jan 11, 2004
Fuck you CITY
So what’s the consensus on how long bivalent booster provides some protection against infection? 4 weeks, 6 weeks, 8 weeks?

I have a big company meeting first week of January, and then I have to be in Vegas last week of January. Trying not to bring anything home to the baby (though she should have her second shot by then) so trying to time the shot
The latest is that it's probably well under 50% or not at all protected based on what variant is spreading wherever you are at. BQ variants are taking over, with the BA4/5 variants the bivalent was developed for fading fast.

Better quarantine if you want to be sure babies won't be infected. Covid is going to be everywhe again this Dec and Jan.

Here's the latest from Besoz times post

Grape_Ape

OT Supporter
Sep 1, 2003
The A

The real answer is it’s complicated

Last edited:

Phil NJ

OT Supporter
Jun 15, 2003
Jersey Shore
“Late last year, The Economist published a machine learning study on global Covid-19 under-reporting rates, comparing reported Covid deaths to estimated excess deaths. The study found that it looked like the US under-reported Covid mortality by around 20%, though a number of Western European countries at times over-reported by around 2-3%. The highest rates of under-reported mortality top out at around 1,000% for countries including India, Afghanistan, Venezuela and a handful of others. That is, except for China, which the study estimates to have under-reported mortality by an eye-watering 19,000%.”

Phil NJ

OT Supporter
Jun 15, 2003
Jersey Shore

I would be more worried about your baby catching Rsv or influenza than catching Covid honestly. It’s really bad out there and multiple friends of mine had to bring their kids to the hospital

Jazz

Powerhouse of the Scrum
Mar 14, 2000
Whistler, BC
I would be more worried about your baby catching Rsv or influenza than catching Covid honestly. It’s really bad out there and multiple friends of mine had to bring their kids to the hospital
Both kids had RSV and adenovirus late last month - the toddler actually got Kawasaki disease as a result and we’ve been working through that (looks like we caught it and treated it in time - have a cardiologist follow up early December to confirm).

Both are up to date on their flu shots and Covid shots - baby only has her first Covid shot because she just recently turned 6 months, but she’ll have her second before the new year.

Jazz

Powerhouse of the Scrum
Mar 14, 2000
Whistler, BC
The latest is that it's probably well under 50% or not at all protected based on what variant is spreading wherever you are at. BQ variants are taking over, with the BA4/5 variants the bivalent was developed for fading fast.

Better quarantine if you want to be sure babies won't be infected. Covid is going to be everywhe again this Dec and Jan.

Here's the latest from Besoz times post

All the new strains are offshoots of BA5 correct? There’s gotta be at least a bit of protection offered by the bivalent.

The real answer is it’s complicated

Makes sense…

the_antsy_honda

This is the story of a little ship...
Dec 17, 2001
California
“Late last year, The Economist published a machine learning study on global Covid-19 under-reporting rates, comparing reported Covid deaths to estimated excess deaths. The study found that it looked like the US under-reported Covid mortality by around 20%, though a number of Western European countries at times over-reported by around 2-3%. The highest rates of under-reported mortality top out at around 1,000% for countries including India, Afghanistan, Venezuela and a handful of others. That is, except for China, which the study estimates to have under-reported mortality by an eye-watering 19,000%.”

gif-dbz.gif

"Over nine(teen) thousaaaand!"

Grape_Ape

OT Supporter
Sep 1, 2003
The A
All the new strains are offshoots of BA5 correct? There’s gotta be at least a bit of protection offered by the bivalent.

Makes sense…
All the variants keep butting up against immunity walls, hopefully it stays that way. The adaptive immune system is wild AF and we don’t know as much about it as we thought

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman